What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UV Smooth Prime Crosslinker Ratio

JohnF

Well Known Member
I get conflicting information on how much crosslinker to add to UV Smooth Prime...I want to mix by gram weight...the crosslinker comes with a calibrated syringe that measures cc's which doesn't work well measuring against large quantities of the Smooth material. The best I can determine is that the weight ratio should be about 180-grams of UV to 1-gram of crosslinker.

Your experience please. I am starting to try to fill pinholes in the cowling on the RV-12 in preparation to painting it.

thank you

My Flight Gloss manual covering the entire product range including Smooth Prime says:

"For all products:
for 1 pint (32 fl oz) ......8 CC or 8 grams
For 1 quart (64 fl oz).....16 CC or 16 grams
For 1 gallon (128 fl oz).....64 CC or 64 grams

Easy rule of thumb: The number of cross linker CCs should always be one-half the number of product ounces. for example, add 4 CCs of cross linker to 8 ounces of product."

Mike

Mike,
Is it 1/2 of the number of CCs / ounce or 1/4? You seem to have both examples. Whichever it is, it sure is an easy way to think of it.

My Flight Gloss manual covering the entire product range including Smooth Prime says:

"For all products:
for 1 pint (32 fl oz) ......8 CC or 8 grams
For 1 quart (64 fl oz).....16 CC or 16 grams
For 1 gallon (128 fl oz).....64 CC or 64 grams

Easy rule of thumb: The number of cross linker CCs should always be one-half the number of product ounces. for example, add 4 CCs of cross linker to 8 ounces of product."

Mike
Yesterday 10:40 AM

1 fl oz= approx 30cc; 1 pint= 16oz not 32; 1 qt= 32 not 64.

The ratio on my qt can says 16oz:8cc of crosslinker. That would also mean 480cc:8cc or 60cc:1cc or 2 oz:1cc.

As far as measuring by weight we would need to know the densities and what ratio to mix them at. I could not find that information, so I would stick with volume not weight measurements.

Crosslinker Ratio

Now I am really confused. One PM said that he contacted Poly Fiber and they said they were not using crosslinker any more and not supplying it. He used it out of the can without crosslinker and it dried and sanded nicely.

I may experiment both ways (no crosslinker and also 1/4 nr of cc to the UV oz) on scrap and see what I think.

Something this simple sure gets complicated !

John, that was a direct quote from my manual...I think it was their mistake. I used small batches and the 1/2 ratio (IAW their rule of thumb statement) is what I used and it worked fine on my entire fuselage.

The cross linker is probably a pita for them...I remember getting a shipment where the cross linker was solid and having to get more. Maybe a shelf life issue.

Last edited:
Back