Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-01-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I always try to place screens as high in the panel as physically possible to keep it closer to eye level.
Second what Walt said. The two large screens you have are going to be quite low.
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction
Old 01-01-2020, 04:51 PM

Default Alternators

Hi,

My suggestion is that you have Primary and Secondary alternators running separately and that you can switch off/on either separately.

The reason for this is if you have a regulator failure it wont cook your battery etc...

So On-Off-On switch, double poll for safety. Also, for switches I gather you are using "standard" electrical switches? These are good for a very long period of time and easily found anywhere should you ever have a problem.

On the layout, my thoughts are as follows: work left to right on startup and right to left on shutdown. Group where appropriate and as others have said, be cognizant of the placement. Easy to access is important.

Another thing that I assessed and was good (I fly and RV-10 IFR) was that ever you have any night flights, all the switches feel the same. See if you can use different caps or feel changes for the switches (i.e. tactile differences) for different groups.

If you have "groups", give then a little space so that they are in their groups. This will aid tactile feedback. Only needs to be a half swich gap.... gap. :-)

Apart from that, have fun.

Regards,
Andrew.
RV10: Happy little Vegemite :-)
Feb 2015: Now fully functional..... and quick

http://www.ozrv10.com
Old 01-01-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiki_Aviator View Post
Hi,
On the layout, my thoughts are as follows: work left to right on startup and right to left on shutdown.
Let me suggest an additional criterion or two...

Lay out your switches with consideration for how much time you have when you activate them. On startup and shutdown, you're on the ground and have all the time in the world, so I would give startup and shutdown considerations very low priority. But I would give lots of consideration to emergency checklists.

Also, consider which switches are operated the most often, and give those priority.

Last thought: it's easy to get an 80% solution, and if you work real hard, you can get a 95% solution. Beyond that... and as evidence, I'm about ready to write checklist Rev 24.
2020 dues slightly overpaid
Retired - "They used to pay me to be good, now I'm good for nothing."
Old 01-02-2020, 07:15 AM

+1 on the “add Dynon knobs” team.

I had the Dynon knobs on my original panel and removed them when I added My IFR radio due to space restrictions.... flew like that for a year, then made room for the knobs.... Much better!

The screen knobs work, but not nearly as convenient as the dedicated knobs.
You can do anything!...but you can't do everything.

Last edited by ackselle : 01-02-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:42 PM

Appreciate all the great feedback. I'm going to tinker with the idea of relocating the intercom panel to the right armrest, in keeping with a) the ringing endorsements of the dedicated knob panel and b) the point that it doesn't need prime panel space. I'm thinking I'll move the COM radio panel up to top right and put the knobs in the upper far-left position. I thought about moving the AP panel up there instead, but I really like the lower-left position for ease of use by my left hand. I figure this works for both normal use (engaging the AP while right hand is still on the stick) and hairier situations (hitting that LEVEL button, say, in inadvertent IMC).

These AP functions, as well as COM frequency selection, can all also be accessed with either of the Skyview screens, but maybe not quite as quickly.

I think I'm also going to add a depiction of the right armrest to my panel mock, just to provide some completeness to the interface. I can also work the screens higher on the panel, though not much without doing some major reworking - and I'm not convinced that getting the displays another 1.5" higher is worth the effort.
https://www.meetup.com/Houston-Area-RV-Enthusiasts/
Old 01-03-2020, 06:15 PM

More revisions!

Panel mock now includes a depiction of the right armrest for completness of switches and stuff. I determined the intercom can fit over there, so I moved it to that spot to make room for the knobs on the main panel.

I also moved the pitot heat switch to the console; doing this allows the upper-left switch section to become dedicated to "primary" power management. I also rethought the layout of that area - I decided I wanted individual alt field control, but didn't want two switches that were going to be on essentially 100% of the time. The same thing applied to the AP servo power - the only time that will need to be off will be in a failure situations.

With that in mind, alt field and AP power became pullable breakers. Separate batt master and alt switches became a progressive OFF/BATT/BOTH switch. This is more compact, more effectively separates "things I might want to turn off" from "things I will turn on every flight." This has the side effect of providing a nice startup flow - the three red-marked switches, left-right, power up the airplane for starting, then I move to the lower left to prime, arm the starter, and kick things off.

Immediate-action things for loss of engine power remain lower left - fuel pump on, mixture rich, tank switch, starter arm if necessary to attempt a restart. Immediate-action things for electrical issues are in the primary power management group.

Still need to depict some more minor things, but I'm liking how this layout is refining, and it's probably about time to mock it up in the plane and do some chair-flying.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:04 PM

Hi Phillip,

Am I correct you are using a remote transponder driven by the Skyview?

If that is true, I still have a couple of questions: Do you plan on flying IFR, and if so where is your second approach approved Nav / approach approved GPS device and what controls it? Skyview alone is not approved for approaches, something Iíve already asked them to enhance...
Old 01-04-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breister View Post
Hi Phillip,

Am I correct you are using a remote transponder driven by the Skyview?

If that is true, I still have a couple of questions: Do you plan on flying IFR, and if so where is your second approach approved Nav / approach approved GPS device and what controls it? Skyview alone is not approved for approaches, something Iíve already asked them to enhance...
Yes, the Skyview transponder is a remote unit.

I'm not sure I understand the second question. I was under the impression that a TSO'd GPS would be sufficient for legal IFR. Obviously, without a NAV radio I'll be limited to GPS navigation and approaches, but I'm OK with that limitation.