What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot location?

Desert Rat

Well Known Member
Hey- the wings I bought have the lower outbd skin already cut for a pitot mast one bay inboard of the aileron bellcrank. The plans show the Vans bent tube solution in the same bay as the bellcrank, so this is about 4" inbd of that, just on the other side of the rib.

Most folks seem to put a mast one bay further out, I'm assuming due to clearance issues, so I'm reaching out with a couple of questions.

1. Any airspeed indication problem going with a 90 degree AN fitting immediately inside the wing? I'm aware of the requirement for hard line with a pitot heater and this location is gonna be tight due to clearance issues with the aileron pushrod there unless I can get a hard 90 on both the pitot & AOA lines.

2. Has anyone put a pitot mast in this location, and if so is it far enough out of the prop wash that you're getting accurate airspeed without a lot of calibration issues?

That skin is just clecoed on at this point, so If I need to reorder a new skin and move the mast outbd then this is the time to do it, But I can make it work as is, assuming there's no serious reason to move it further out.

Thanks!

hey guys- I posted this a couple of weeks ago with no replies, thought I'd try it again. Surely somebody has tried this.

The pitot location, inboard/outboard wise, is not critical; as long as it is well clear of the prop blast. The prop blast keeps pretty much straight back. It does not "fan" out appreciably. My Moni Motorglider had the pitot on the stabilizer and prop blast did not affect it at all.

Note that a "more" outboard location of the pitot can interfere with tie-down ropes.

Last edited:
Back