What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spinner fit to Catto prop

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hallo. I bought a Catto propeller with associated hardware (Saber extension and crush plate) along with the precut spinner.

I installed the spinner but the front holes line do not match to the underlaying plate. Another way to explain: the front spacer is 3/32 thinner than necessary.

Would it be OK to place a few (3) AN960 washers between the front plate and the spacer in order to move forward the plate with attached nutplates? I believe this could be OK because propeller bolts will push on washers, then spacer plate and then spinner.

I hope I explained well my doubt.
Thanks.
Camillo

upload image on web

Last edited:
while your approach will be fine for the prop torque, I would be a bit concerned that the spinner plate will have too much freedom of movement. I have had various cracking issues and thrown screws from the spinner, so believe there is a lot of force moving things out there. I was under the impression that the front plate goes between the crush plate and prop in order to give it more rigidity. That's where mine is.

I would make a 3/32 aluminum plate (.063 + .032 sheet) instead. I would also ask Van's if you need another plate or doubler on the outside end of the spinner plate to make it more rigid, given that it is installed outside the crush plate.

Another option is to move the bulkhead under the crush plate and drill new holes. Given you purchased this from someone else, I am guessing you will need to repaint it anyways. You would then use filler to bridge the gap between the bulkhead and spinner, per the building instructions.

Larry

Last edited:
Spinner fit

My installation is different from yours. How far are the screws holes off? My crush plate is in front of the front bulkhead and the front bulkhead has circular cutouts to clear the blades a bit. Be sure you have it correct because even when I replaced mine with alum spinner the crush plate stayed in front for the proper fit.

In any case:
The front spinner plate can be difficult. If it doesn't fit tight you get constant broken screws and nutplates. I replaced all the front nutplates twice in 60 hours before redoing the fit (pre made).

I'd ask Catto about putting spacers behind the plate but prob no issues. Also you can put tape (I use anti-chaff tape) along the front bulkhead to tighten the fit (Catto does this also). In fact if its tight some guys (and manufactures) don't even use screws in the front plate. It just pressure fits for rigidity.

Last edited:
that is incorrectly installed.

look below.
BzQHcMEMZyHTBaRuXIXPjXRADQnbfsuY2G-6y8dkIG1Gx306t1HWmZfW6T8aU1wEw3ztrTW-E0jla6HxIGLrSKuMIXcUwwkYj4LyEK957Cpnor18CY7GHLKH0J01pl4fxDQMyizHFwkl-dzWTiQbFEu7p_mYPfeSkTXyIh0mwTSzoaUNVkmUrW5YZnWomqAcxSDO8yYn1eEmSqKG3-1saCoa5IGkZWpslA18yvs3H8tMmSxbI1AO4LKz7q3Cmz5G9WRx27UXeEzZQufU5ifAoF01N4YrjgLd13aw7JxenPjmOsXqE-LxdU7AKcDjwKEEDwmQwsvbfbQIR6SPqX2XaIAPj_uT8gfS0ow8cZ1V3NThScfd-AsAlUiPFgEQk2rjIfrDQ9d1v7dZdM0B3rpy_ISBt3veA4R3PctvxIViUWYctBfaln3sF2bnVfG2EHEJm-XwP2CgSo5XuRq5AFuasUimC7MG9jVNFG1h-dyWZeRe6pojQ4nf9kPLj6MI7oRMHwxavGZEqhCJe2mvk9vP5VI1iJfMeDyJdYJq9p6bhZbue6t_kTZMlT3w6lwKYpbkwd4nCTz7G5n8TyoKqcSPxWNsq_S4O4olXqK--cND65Uu_gizmnqFutXKUoewuQvhLIqG7zKOgvYXqHxvHMNkKsO3p8bsdtZP5DPBoORxGAp-S6cF61hv5N9cX6EWl3brdV3IxWmfkP7rxm8sZnp32tEGcN3B-j85nBVdc1e0FRXOLpuJ=w973-h1297-no

on the picture below. I removed the 960 washer shown later on.

diC-PrboByMEz9aijh6olZ7z-KjrsdDsPuSI2tEGRnYC_CDU3uQfXM9zroFmojVpPL8SeEUHJ_tGdsMiK1ME1ScdL3auhIjnnjVuxJuPYFyluz1TafeyilFd0OnZhkeCkof7GOy-86z12TMt8HFlSej3OrrF250wLdbQkdUfFrDttm07IFBszMLaBH0wvPvIc-aS3NWTBajHliXwzT52wVtFYFBgix0Bal0_wnD0HBJcw-dNxTi6ltgYSuwTzaF_yYgdlnQAc78fxYxOJeZ-KqlZH9iOdgpPLrQpSlvUWflskr41KepQ7LryRLWMOf3JNmv4m6scZiKjQcKLL5NU2k-JxSuuQC7vTk1ao2ota_R9EksGKe1s58IzfbQ73S1UfOF29THWpZQJl03sN7CiNcYlLgpaxg-AZT0qZwNarv2N7WoDlkQxOsHhzm8T21ylcKHhdl6zm7rwBBfWC3aExGvltA7KzLURVM5-oqm8BnXjbhT9rg0uHFRAhsIwzlg3WjDkTUavLcLJnx7dvw43xZm9ju9bk6q2XDXgg2nHzPOnY2Q72OWw1M-uP6dZOzDFtgUlVW1UXiQBASm2FvOZQw-iGI7PbfhjfLcfy1XLjW-IpBpR2sz2szTNmWB9v16qq-afbJ601LI-dDbyuXnWvcoGmRtpn-Eplg3K99Z9K-g9sn7o2nkdAahzv3sPWrJpa5yEzIPpzQXMv60S0kNRp0R2l1Pjj68Gt9xui8LILAH3jJGB=w973-h1297-no

Stack sequence OK

~
that is incorrectly installed.
~

Not sure why this statement is being made.

Depending on the spinner and bulkheads being installed.

Refer to the Vans drawing and use the required thickness of prop and spacer (crush plate) combined stack thickness.

Confirm the Vans bulkhead part numbers for the fixed pitch installation.

Your sequence of the stack looks fine, I had saber make my crush plate 1/8" thicker (5/8 total) and another 1/2" spacer for under the head of the bolts because I had long bolts on the shelf.
I installed Vans fiberglass spinner.

Mine is installed in stack sequence like yours, not sure what is causing some other installers to have the bulkhead directly against the prop ?

My personal preference is no individual washers there, I prefer this area to be flat, firm, solid for maximum surface area support of that bulkhead.

J.

~

I made the statement above because the OP said he bought the prop and associated spinner from catto.

That means holes would have been drilled to fit the set up i showed in the pics.

catto makes their own bulkhead. It is thicker than the vans bulkhead.

Dont see a picture of the OP?s spinner so it may be an old vans spinner cut by catto. But they still install it as shown. They just use the vans bulkheads. That has not been done in many many years.

Email nicole if you cant get things to line up. She is very smart.

Thank-you

Thank-you for your answers and photos.
I just wrote to Nicole @ Catto propeller attaching my photos and explaining the problem.

I bought everything from Catto: propeller, bolts, spinner and plates. The latter were from Saber.

Actually I have:
a "13" Spinner kit plus fitting of cutouts, tracking and drilling of
mounting holes"
and "Extension 2.25 in. long, 7 in diam, 12-hole, SAE-2, 7/16E. Crush Plate 7 in diam x3/8" thick, 7/16 holes, SAE-2. F-911 bolts 7/16-20 prop-to extn bolt, plated. Plus cadmium plated 7/16 SAE regular washers AN960-716".

I mounted the spinner a long time ago. A friend of mine helped me during spinner fitting. He and I can't remember exactly what the original installation was like.

Camillo

P.S.: Nicole wrote "no problem with washers for propeller". I don't know for spinner, will see...

Last edited:
Back