What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AP Panels

Andrew Anunson

Well Known Member
I realize that looks aren't everything... but the Garmin G3X AP controls LOOK so much nicer than the Skyview offering. Is that Skyview AP control easy to use?
Also, shouldn't the Dynon Up/Down Buttons be reversed (like the Garmin)? I use the top botton on my stick to trim down.... (like Ray Allens shows).
I have a Skyview... but I'd like a "prettier" AP control panel (maybe I'll put some lightning bolt stickers on it).

Compare the Garmin options....
gmc-307-2.jpg

GMC%20305.jpg

To this Dynon option...
102137-000.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't used the Garmin AP button panel but the Dynon panel works great. Very glad I installed, which also provides auto-trim when engaged. Also negates the need for trim relays.

If all you want is "looks good", I need to introduce you to my ex-wife.

Functionality and ease of use needs to be considered as well...

The UP/DOWN buttons on the Dynon are not trim control. They activate the auto-pilot to pitch the aircraft toward your altitude set point. Each press adds an increment of 100 ft/sec to the vertical speed. The Dynon panels are not particularly easy to use when the auto pilot is in Expert mode. After flying them for a year I still sometimes have WIDN moments and have to go back to the manuals and review. Or, if you are in Indicated Airspeed Mode, they have a similar function to increment airspeed. Also, with the control panels installed the aircraft has auto-trim when the AP is engaged.

You can set up the autopilot in Simplified Mode and then the AP is easy to use. But, the auto-pilot control panel does not function when in Simplified Mode, so if you want to use all the cool buttons you have to do the homework and fly in Expert Mode ;)

Don't have a clue as to how the Garmin panels work.

Last edited:
Autopilots should be all about how the box controls the aircraft. I would take a poor looking controller if it did a better job of flying. Happily in this case Garmin make on of the best performing autopilots available. Can you go fly with a friend before buying?
Pete

Back