What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Pilot Height

Dunx

I am intersted in comment ( from first hand experience) from relatively tall pilots ( 6 foot plus) on comfort / legroom in the RV 12

I am a smidgen under 6-3 and my height is proportionate between my legs and back. I had to get Abby at Flightline Interiors (she has the contract to make the seat cushions on the 12) to make me a seat bottom cushion 2" thinner than standard for me to clear the canopy. I also lean my seatback as far back as it will go. Even with all that, I only have a little clearance between my headphones and the canopy. You could still shave another inch off my cushion and still have some padding. I love the plane even so!
Legroom is very good and comfortable. My longest flight to date is 1.6 hr and no discomfort.
Larry

Last edited:
6ft5in

I'm 6ft 5in and have an inch or so head clearance in my RV-12. My 6ft 7in son's head hit the canopy with the standard RV-12 seat cushon. I replaced the seat cushon with one of the seat bolsters that is provided with the interior kit. This worked fine and gave him about an inch of head clearance. This probably isn't a good long term installation for a tall person but it indicates that you can accomodate taller people by altering the seat cushions.

In my Discus-2T sailplane I had to remove the seat back and put in a home built head rest to get head clearance.

I have about 44 hours on my RV-12 and am loving it. With Pete nearby I have mentor that helps me with Dynon updates, radio adjustments and general Rv-12 advice.

Bob Kibby

6ft4

I have about two inches above my head with the standard cushion.
Legroom is more than I had in the DA40 and Piper Seneca (especially the Seneca is uncomfortable to fly for me).

Last edited:
Back