What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IT Runs! And 2 Questions?

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
120241 started her engine for the first time today-- 1 year and 5 days from kit delivery-- and everything went well. Did the carb balancing with a Carbmate which worked well though I'm not crazy about being that close to a moving prop! The day did bring two questions:
1) Right side EGT's (1-3) were generally about 15 deg higher than the left. This is without the upper cowling in place and I have no idea how that affects anything. Ranges were 950-975 at idle moving up to just over 1000 at 4000. My first thought is that the carbs aren't balanced but the carbmate says thay are. Any/all thoughts and comments from those who have been here are VERY welcome

2) WOT max RPM was only 4680. Following the instruction I set the pitch as high as possible and using prop fitting and digital level had the blades to 0.1 deg of each other. Obviously I need to reduce pitch-- does anyone have a feel for how much?

Thanks again, guys, for ALL the help over the past year

Wayne 120241 N143WM this month???

120241 started her engine for the first time today-- 1 year and 5 days from kit delivery-- and everything went well. Did the carb balancing with a Carbmate which worked well though I'm not crazy about being that close to a moving prop! The day did bring two questions:
1) Right side EGT's (1-3) were generally about 15 deg higher than the left. This is without the upper cowling in place and I have no idea how that affects anything. Ranges were 950-975 at idle moving up to just over 1000 at 4000. My first thought is that the carbs aren't balanced but the carbmate says thay are. Any/all thoughts and comments from those who have been here are VERY welcome

EGT's are never the same. a 15 degree spread is totally normal.

2) WOT max RPM was only 4680. Following the instruction I set the pitch as high as possible and using prop fitting and digital level had the blades to 0.1 deg of each other. Obviously I need to reduce pitch-- does anyone have a feel for how much?
Use the PAP check list and make sure you at least attain the minimum required RPM. 4680 static is way to much pitch,

Try 4800 to 5000 RPM static. Make small changes in pitch at first.

TODR

TOO CLOSE TO MOVING PROP

Your statement that being too close to a moving prop scares me too!!! You take readings from the INSIDE of the cockpit with whatever instrument you are using set up so that you can see it from your cockpit seat and then make your adjustments with the engine SHUT DOWN. Then try again. It is very safe that way, just make sure that everything is secured and nothing is going to hit the prop!
Larry

As a first adjustment, set the prop to the midpoint as allowed by the hub. I posted my trial and error procedure a few months back. Do a search, I'll look for it also.

Back