What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical Connections Wing to Fuse

denmit

Okay, I'm up to installing the wiring for the stall warning and lights. The designed method of carrying power between fuse and wing relies on doubtful physics (IMHO). Has anyone modified these connections - perhaps with Molex 4 pin connectors?

You might do a search of the archives, some have used an inexpensive trailer light connector plug.

Thanks Don - I had a go at a search but words such as those I used in my thread heading don't show up anything in the RV-12 forum.

Hopefully, other readers will happen upon the post and point me in the right direction.

All the best from Oz

Mitch

Hey, thanks Joe - just what I had in mind.

Did you/will you use this solution? If you built E-LSA I guess you had to/will have to leave the current design solution in place until after inspection. If you didn't have that restraint, would you bother to install the little rib that mounts the contactors?

Did you/will you use this solution? If you built E-LSA I guess you had to/will have to leave the current design solution in place until after inspection. If you didn't have that restraint, would you bother to install the little rib that mounts the contactors?
Rivets through plastic and aluminum do not make good electrical connections. I have not changed mine yet. Eventually I will permanently connect the wires together because I do not plan to take the wings off. I would not have installed that plastic terminal insulator but had to per E-LSA rules.
If you use that trailer connector, a little grease on the pins might help to prevent corrosion.
Joe

new panel switch for nav lights

The new Skyview panel has a switch for nav and strobe. We will need another wire. Not sure how we get that done on the right wing as the root connecters are full.

Hey guys,
The wings are supposed to come off for the annual inspection if you follow the RV-12 maintenance manual. I think a removable connector would be better than permanent wiring. That is what I am going to do on my first annual which is due by the end of May.
Larry

I've ordered some 4 and 6 pin Molex connectors, extra pins, 18AWG cable and a crimper from Steinair (very helpful people BTW). I will run the extra cabling for separate strobe/nav circuits now and connect to the fuse using the Molex connectors, allowing wing removal at annual/100 hours inspection.

I haven't ordered avionics yet - waiting to see what eventuates with Skyview. On the basis of some comments in these forums I'm not sure that Skyview is going to be all that desirable - we'll see - but I'll run the wire now while the wing is open.

Back