What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WD 1215 WELDMENT -- CHECK

Status
Not open for further replies.

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
This evening, we were getting ready to match drill the wd-1215 brackets with the wd-1214 flaperon torque tubes and the wd-1215 bracket flange came off in my hand. Looks like there was no welding other than a tac weld. The rest was held on by powder coat. Our kit is 120328 w/ finish kit received in early January. The other weldments looks ok, i used light hand pressure to check. These are the flaperon torque tube sections and a very critical part. May be a good idea to check these ASAP. Will be calling VANS in the a.m.

2nk1552.jpg

34iss9t.jpg

kcgx8z.jpg

o0ccat.jpg

1zdme1e.jpg

This side seemed to be ok / checked with light hand (squeeze) pressure

Hey Kyle - -

Way beyond scary ! ! ! About as critical a piece as any ! Glad you found it.

John Bender

Indeed

I was in the process of putting a spring clamp on the two pieces and it fell off .. no pressure at all. I know i did not drop it before installation, came off the shelf where it had sat since inventory. I have looked at weldments on other parts and all look to be in good shape. This piece must have been faulty from the factory.

Certified welder ?

I was in the process of putting a spring clamp on the two pieces and it fell off .. no pressure at all. I know i did not drop it before installation, came off the shelf where it had sat since inventory. I have looked at weldments on other parts and all look to be in good shape. This piece must have been faulty from the factory.

certified welder ????

There is know way that you could have broke that part. You should be able to beat it with a hammer and it should have not come off if it was welded by a certified welder.
The Quality control should have caught this.

Let us Know what Van Say's ?

It is a good thing the tack weld was lousy.

From the Photo it looks like it had two 1/4” tack welds only. Is this right

Last edited:
I had the same defect ... flat part came off and was only tack welded in two spots. I submitted photo and problem report to Van's. They provided a replacement part and said they were going to check the inventory but no service bulletin/letter was issued.

Quality Control

I had the same defect ... flat part came off and was only tack welded in two spots. I submitted photo and problem report to Van's. They provided a replacement part and said they were going to check the inventory but no service bulletin/letter was issued.

What is your kit number and what was the date you notified Vans

Note to all Builders: We need to do our own Quality Control
It looks like some things are getting past Vans.

Check all your welds as you go.

Final inspection is builder's responsiblity

Note to all Builders: We need to do our own Quality Control
It looks like some things are getting past Vans.

Absolutely! As the manufacturer of a kit plane, it is your responsibility to inspect every part before you install it.

KALEWIS, very happy you discovered error. Just brings home the point that all parts/assemblies supplied need a close inspection to see if all OK. Human beings are doing the work, and mistakes do occur.
Dick Seiders

Absolutely! As the manufacturer of a kit plane, it is your responsibility to inspect every part before you install it.

Even Boeing receives defective parts sometimes. Latest example, B-787 Dreamliner.

The buck stops with the final assembler.

Be careful out there. :)

KALEWIS, very happy you discovered error. Just brings home the point that all parts/assemblies supplied need a close inspection to see if all OK. Human beings are doing the work, and mistakes do occur.
Dick Seiders

Dick is right, certified has nothing to do with it, that welder, certified or simply qualified missed it, it then got past the powder coater and the packer and some others, then almost the builder, all of them humans. These parts don?t come out of our shop but we have missed several welds over the years and a couple actually got to the builder. You are the last line of defense, check everything three times, then check them again, be safe out there.

P.S. every part of these airplanes had a human hand in the mix so apply this to all parts not just the weldments.

UPDATE

Just called VANS. They are sending me two new WD1215's L and R. They said they have recvd a couple other calls this morning in regards to these parts. The parts person i spoke with said i should have called them (VANS) first before posting here. I take issue with that.

#1 : They do not have a 24 hour number with someone on call.

#2 : If i had not posted the issue, and someone crashed due to this part failing and I knew about it, that would have been a huge disservice. That is what these forums are for. Someone could have read my post and checked their weldment before the next flight (and before VANS put something out)....could have been a lifesaver.

#3 : One poster said he advised VANS in Feb 2010. That is a year ago and nothing was done.

I have no qualms about receiving a faulty part. It is OUR responsibility to check each part before installation. I am glad that I found the issue during installation and not on my "climb to 10,000 feet". Sounds like VANS is making it right and hopefully a Service Bulletin will come out soon.

Last edited:
Quality control

Even Boeing receives defective parts sometimes. Latest example, B-787 Dreamliner.

Be careful out there. .

As both of the statements are correct and the builder will suffer the results. The Manufacture of these parts should do a better job of quality control of the welded parts. The builder of the kit may not be able to recognize the flaw as easy as a Boeing mechanic can.

Van builds great kits but it is a little disturbing that this got past them at least twice.

(The buck stops with the final assembler)
I don't think so
My view

Qualified means certified in my option.

Dick is right, certified has nothing to do with it, that welder, certified or simply qualified missed it, it then got past the powder coater and the packer and some others, then almost the builder, all of them humans. These parts don’t come out of our shop but we have missed several welds over the years and a couple actually got to the builder. You are the last line of defense, check everything three times, then check them again, be safe out there.

P.S. every part of these airplanes had a human hand in the mix so apply this to all parts not just the weldments.

This statement sounds exculpatory.

qualified means certified in my option.

The powder coater and packers are not Qualified Inspectors.

Last edited:
This statement sounds exculpatory.

qualified means certified in my option.

The powder coater and packers are not Qualified Inspectors.

I have news for you, probably none of your weldments are crafted buy any one holding a certification card. It?s easy to get a cert, a monkey could get one, you can make that one weld that one day in that one position that passes, a qualified welder that does not make. Get a job doing it and learn your craft under the supervision of those that have been doing it, then assuming you have the aptitude for it the welder is born.

All my local A/P friends are certified in aircraft welding, guys who they call when they have a welding job, that?s right the guy with 20 years welding and no cert.

Who ever build that part was probably being careful, maybe it was even more then one person that did the welding on that one part, everyone is human and stuff happens, however I bet more care will be taken in the future because it is egg on the face of who ever let those parts slip, I?ve felt that egg on my face, I don?t like it.

I wonder if a jury would see it that way, particularly in the case of an E-LSA where Van's Aircraft is the manufacturer of record. The E-LSAs are too new for that to have been tested in a courtroom and we all hope that it never gets tested in that way, but it does seem that a preponderance of caution on the part of Van's would be a good approach.

I am also of the opinion that another of these defective parts showing up a year after the first known report with no record of a notice or bulletin being sent to assemblers does not inspire confidence.

... "I am also of the opinion that another of these defective parts showing up a year after the first known report with no record of a notice or bulletin being sent to assemblers does not inspire confidence."

I concur.

But if the final inspection does not (or should not) lie with the builder, then who does it lie with?

As builders/operators, aren't we staking our lives on the quality of parts we install and the methods used to install them?

I am not saying it should be that way. I'm just postulating that it's just the way things are when building these aircraft.

Structural failures typically occur when a certain chain of events happens to lead to that outcome. All other things being equal (and lawyers plus the fine print in contracts often ensures they are not), blame is usually apportioned according to the level of responsibility each party in the chain had.

In this case, the fabricator clearly has the primary responsibility for getting it right, but Vans should be also be checking the parts before they ship (particularly if they were aware of a previous defect), and as aircraft builders we should be inspecting the parts that we install. Apart from any legal responsibility, our lives might depend on it. The powder coaters are just responsible for checking the quality of their coating application, not the quality of the fabricator's welds (although they would have a duty of care to report a suspect part if they noticed it).

The problem is that irrespective of how the blame is divided up, the outcome for the unsuspecting pilot is the same. Fortunately this defect was caught in time, and once again the value of this forum has proven itself. Vans may not be too happy that KALEWIS reported the problem without talking to them first, but I am.

Just to be clear, I never meant that the powder coater held any responsibility to inspect the welders work just that he and others had handled it and done work to it and no one saw it and surprisingly it did not break off either, I to am thankful it was caught before flight.

Lawsuits should never even be whispered about; it?s only bad for your hobby. I don?t know anything about LSA but as far as EAB goes it falls to the manufacture/builder and you don?t want it any other way because there would be no kits available for us to build.

This is an interesting discussion on multiple levels, beyond the issue of the faulty welds. From an impartial perspective, none of us would probably expect that one faulty set of welds (out of 500+ sets of those parts) would result in Van's doing unique, special inspections beyond their normal QA procedures. Should it have warranted a Revision Letter (or SB) at the time at the first report? Doubtful.

rgmwa's point is well taken, I think: there is a daisy chain of culpability, and the builder is in it. So as Larry likes to counsel repeatedly, let's be careful out there.

The response of Van's parts employee, if reported in context accurately, was a discouraging note, I thought. Hopefully, that doesn't reflect the attitude of the Van's staff as a whole and the employee will be counseled that, when a safety of flight issue is involved, it's perhaps not the time to rely on a single, formal line of communication.

Jack

Lets all learn

Just to be clear, I never meant that the powder coater held any responsibility to inspect the welders work just that he and others had handled it and done work to it and no one saw it and surprisingly it did not break off either, I to am thankful it was caught before flight.

Lawsuits should never even be whispered about; it?s only bad for your hobby. I don?t know anything about LSA but as far as EAB goes it falls to the manufacture/builder and you don?t want it any other way because there would be no kits available for us to build.

Russ I think you got the message. No one wants the NTSB Talking about a wellment. When the spouse walks in the courtroom with the four kids the jury will not hold the builder liable. I think the welders or inspectors of weldment should put an inspected by sticker on each item. The check and balance is the first responsibility of the supplier and his suppliers. This does not relive the builder of his duty to do his best to inspect the parts as he will have passengers that will sue all of the parties

I know that there are a lot of welders that perform as good or better than certified welders. So if a monkey can get a certificate then it might be prudent to get your welders certified. It will be in the option of a jury if they should have been certified. Not you or me.
Lets all Learn

The parts employee ... In all honesty I do not recall his name ... Told me that they had already had a couple calls about the issue this morning. He must have recognized my name and asked if I had Posted the issue on the forum. I said that I had. He quickly replied that it would have been better to call first. That is 100% accurate. I don't think I owe the parts staff a heads up before posting to the flying community about a defective weld on a flight safety critical part.

Thanks to all those who stand by my decision.

Stand by you

I stand by your decision to post. You might have saved someones life. In business, honesty is the best policy. Some other companies have tried to cover up defects, but doing so ends up hurting them more in the long run. Firestone and Toyota come to mind.
The skill of the welder is irrelevant. The parts were not welded. It does not matter if a bad welder did not weld them or good welder did not weld them. I suspect that the parts are placed in a jig, tack welded, removed from the jig, then finished welded. Somewhere in the process, unfinished parts got mixed up with completed parts. That's my theory anyway.
Joe

Responsibility

I stand by your decision to post. You might have saved someones life. In business, honesty is the best policy. Some other companies have tried to cover up defects, but doing so ends up hurting them more in the long run. Firestone and Toyota come to mind.
The skill of the welder is irrelevant. The parts were not welded. It does not matter if a bad welder did not weld them or good welder did not weld them. I suspect that the parts are placed in a jig, tack welded, removed from the jig, then finished welded. Somewhere in the process, unfinished parts got mixed up with completed parts. That's my theory anyway.
Joe

Joe In most cases I agree with your statements. In this case I am not sure. The welder may be the one who threw the part in the finished bin. The quality of this person hinges on a lot of things. I was a construction superintendent of structural steel buildings. The welders that could not pass the welding test were all on drugs and the certified welders had more concern in the way they welded things because there name was on it. The process is different when there is responsibility.

I’m not saying this is the case.
My Opinion

In the case of welds (and worse, welds covered by thick powder coat), I sure hope Van's isn't counting on me to find poor workmanship. I'm am neither qualified nor equipped to judge the quality of a weld. To put it bluntly, that is what I am paying Van's to do. Not all poorly welded parts are going to conveniently and fortunately fall apart quite as easily as Kyle's did.

I also stridently disagree that discussion of potential lawsuits is somehow off limits. It is the world we live in and playing ostrich is not going to solve anything. I think it would be foolish to not consider where the liability lies with the airplanes we are building. One of the benefits of an E-LSA over E-AB is where the liability lies; you can't market the benefit when it's convenient and hide from it when it's not. We sign a contract saying that we upheld our end of the deal by building exactly to plans; the manufacturer has to hold up their end too by meeting their responsibility to make sure their product is safe.

Finally, I find any criticism of Kyle's decision to share his experience with us abhorrent and frankly I'm shocked by it. I now can't help but wonder what other problems have been hidden from us. I understand the motivation behind it - credibility and trust once lost are very difficult to recover - but this is serious business here. There is no room in this industry for the hiding of problems like this.

And ... we have a winner!

... "We sign a contract saying that we upheld our end of the deal by building exactly to plans; the manufacturer has to hold up their end too by meeting their responsibility to make sure their product is safe.

Finally, I find any criticism of Kyle's decision to share his experience with us abhorrent and frankly I'm shocked by it. I now can't help but wonder what other problems have been hidden from us. I understand the motivation behind it - credibility and trust once lost are very difficult to recover - but this is serious business here. There is no room in this industry for the hiding of problems like this."

....... BINGO!!!!!

Last edited:
I agree 100%

In the case of welds (and worse, welds covered by thick powder coat), I sure hope Van's isn't counting on me to find poor workmanship. I'm am neither qualified nor equipped to judge the quality of a weld. To put it bluntly, that is what I am paying Van's to do. Not all poorly welded parts are going to conveniently and fortunately fall apart quite as easily as Kyle's did.

I also stridently disagree that discussion of potential lawsuits is somehow off limits. It is the world we live in and playing ostrich is not going to solve anything. I think it would be foolish to not consider where the liability lies with the airplanes we are building. One of the benefits of an E-LSA over E-AB is where the liability lies; you can't market the benefit when it's convenient and hide from it when it's not. We sign a contract saying that we upheld our end of the deal by building exactly to plans; the manufacturer has to hold up their end too by meeting their responsibility to make sure their product is safe.

Finally, I find any criticism of Kyle's decision to share his experience with us abhorrent and frankly I'm shocked by it. I now can't help but wonder what other problems have been hidden from us. I understand the motivation behind it - credibility and trust once lost are very difficult to recover - but this is serious business here. There is no room in this industry for the hiding of problems like this.

I agree 100%

I am so disheartened with respect to this issue. I do not understand why Van's Aircraft has NOT issued a SERVICE BULLETIN. To attempt to suppress such reports is worse.

I cannot understand why Van's Aircraft is NOT notifying those of us that are building or flying the RV-12 when made aware of an issue potentially important to our safety.

As with the engine bolting issue, please DO NOT HESITATE to post any of your findings on VAF when a problem is suspected. We must continue to communicate! THANK-YOU Kyle!

Last edited:
Quality Control

I find it VERY unreal that a Vans Employee seeks to dismiss this Major Finding in such a Flippent manor..! One person's attitude can do Irrepitable damage to a company like this..........I sure Hope this Fault & Reportage Answer is a one off thing ..........And our thanks to the guys out there on this Forum keeping fellow builders awear of such actions & Building tips they are such a help to us all!

Like Marty said, I am still waiting for an SB for the engine bolts, and prop hub.

Being a member of VAF means we look out for each other.

Kyle, you did the right thing. Thanks.

Last edited:
The welder may be the one who threw the part in the finished bin.
That very well could be. We can only speculate as to whether this problem is due to an employee with a bad attitude or one who occasionally makes a mistake. In any event, it is the responsibility of the supplier to have a quality control program in place to catch mistakes like this. They are not making thousands of parts. It would not take that long to check 100% the few hundred parts they make before they are painted. It is not as easy to examine the weld after painting.
Joe

Vans alert

It would appear that we have our wish. I bet I didn't photograph these parts before installing them!

Cheers...Keith

I checked mine today, they are not yet installed. Beautifully welded. I might not have even checked the weld had it not been for this thread. Thanks!

Maybe I'm just "old school" but I double check every part that I receive from anybody as if I had built the part myself.
I want to know for myself that each and every part that goes into my aircraft is right.
What's the old saying? "Trust but verify!"

Old School

Nice point Mel! This is not an erector set. Your statement is a great standard for any aircraft builder...old school or new. Shouldn't take an Alert for such an error be discovered. Thanks.

Pete

there you guys go. Two reports of bad parts, and less than two days later a bulletin. I hope anyone that said Van's is not responsive issues an apology.

separately from Van's response, I strongly believe anyone that can't differentiate a tack welded part (powder coat or not) from a fully welded part should not be building an eab/lsa. Now since nearly everyone can identify the difference between a tac weld and a complete weld, its time for everyone to admit it is purely the builders responsibility to inspect and properly construct an airplane from parts supplied by whoever. Do not try and shrug this off as being someone else's responsibility, it is the builders. the legal system (pathetic as it is) loves to have a business pay for the family left after some final consequences, but i hardly think that is the final answer

If I were Van's, I would have a little on the record meeting with all my weldment suppliers. Then I would have my engineering staff round up a "to specification" example of EVERY welded piece that goes in the 12. Photograph them making sure that there is a picture of each weld. Then I would start including these pictures with each kit's instructions along with instructions to examine each weld shown BEFORE assembly.
Larry

I strongly believe anyone that can't differentiate a tack welded part (powder coat or not) from a fully welded part should not be building an eab/lsa.
That's a fine point, as far as it goes. Given that it is the builder's life that's on the line, a high degree of last-chance quality control is certainly prudent. On the other hand, there are two parties in this transaction: one that may or may not have the requisite background and experience to know precisely how a weld is supposed to look, and one that has decades of experience in knowing precisely how a weld is supposed to look.

Only one of those parties is selling those parts for profit. That profit is earned by doing the work that the first party can't do for himself, and ensuring that the work they do is complete, accurate, and safe.

I'm the first to say that this could have happened to me just as easily as it happened to Kyle. I trusted (incorrectly, as it turns out) Van's to take care of the basics of quality control. They are a trusted manufacturer with years of experience; that factored heavily in my decision to purchase from them. I suspect a lot of us got a very low cost lesson through this incident; I know that I did. Education is half the of the "recreation and education" basis for building our own airplanes and I'm happy to have been taught a very valuable lesson about it, and I'm even happier that it came at no cost. There's no hiding the fact, though, that the cost could have been tremendously higher.

Oh, and those decades of experience that Van's has? It would have been measured in months if the qualifications for building one of their kits included the abilities required to have built the thing from plans. I'm sure there are purists that believe the RV-12 was a mistake for Van's because it is targeted at inexperienced builders that don't have the chops to build a "real" airplane, but that changes nothing. The relative simplicity of the RV-12 attracts a builder that would never have attempted to build any of the other RVs - or at least one such builder, anyway.

I speak for myself alone when I say that I clearly do not have the experience or knowledge to gauge the workmanship of every single part of the kit and that I am (was) leaning on Van's to do that for me.

I make no apologies for that.

there you guys go. Two reports of bad parts, and less than two days later a bulletin. I hope anyone that said Van's is not responsive issues an apology.

separately from Van's response, I strongly believe anyone that can't differentiate a tack welded part (powder coat or not) from a fully welded part should not be building an eab/lsa. Now since nearly everyone can identify the difference between a tac weld and a complete weld, its time for everyone to admit it is purely the builders responsibility to inspect and properly construct an airplane from parts supplied by whoever. Do not try and shrug this off as being someone else's responsibility, it is the builders. the legal system (pathetic as it is) loves to have a business pay for the family left after some final consequences, but i hardly think that is the final answer

Danny 7.

#1. The same issue was reported to vans by another builder in feb of 2010. Nothing was done then. The safety notice could have went out on the first finding because finding of #2 could have been in an NTSB report.

#2. I am not a welder. Does that mean I cannot or should not build an airplane? NO. I feel that this exactly qualifies me to build an airplane. I found a faulty part and made it known to both the building/flying community of the RV-12 and made it known to the manufacturer. I would not expect anything less from a fellow builder. I am sure there are some that would have "made it work" and not told a soul. I hope this is not true. Vans supplies the welded parts, they are responsible for the quality of workmanship. As the builder/installer I am responsible for determining the functionality of the part. In my case it broke while handling it. Yes I looked at it before, I did not see a glaring defect.

#3. I find your comments demeaning and shameful as a fellow RV builder. I hope someone pulls a fire alarm for you one day so you can see the value of calling something out. If you find it troublesome that Van's issued a safety bulletin for under quality parts, then maybe you should not be building an airplane.

I don't know the internal workings of Van's Aircraft. I don't care to. What I care about is the fact that it was made right before something bad happened. The staff handled my call adequately and made it right with me. I have no complaints of Van's Aircraft or their products. Mistakes are made, that is life. It is all in how those mistakes are handled.

Vans Nudge

Danny 7.

#1. The same issue was reported to vans by another builder in feb of 2010. Nothing was done then. The safety notice could have went out on the first finding because finding of #2 could have been in an NTSB report.

#2. I am not a welder. Does that mean I cannot or should not build an airplane? NO. I feel that this exactly qualifies me to build an airplane. I found a faulty part and made it known to both the building/flying community of the RV-12 and made it known to the manufacturer. I would not expect anything less from a fellow builder. I am sure there are some that would have "made it work" and not told a soul. I hope this is not true. Vans supplies the welded parts, they are responsible for the quality of workmanship. As the builder/installer I am responsible for determining the functionality of the part. In my case it broke while handling it. Yes I looked at it before, I did not see a glaring defect.

#3. I find your comments demeaning and shameful as a fellow RV builder. I hope someone pulls a fire alarm for you one day so you can see the value of calling something out. If you find it troublesome that Van's issued a safety bulletin for under quality parts, then maybe you should not be building an airplane.

I don't know the internal workings of Van's Aircraft. I don't care to. What I care about is the fact that it was made right before something bad happened. The staff handled my call adequately and made it right with me. I have no complaints of Van's Aircraft or their products. Mistakes are made, that is life. It is all in how those mistakes are handled.

Vans Nudge is a good thing
We all need it from time to time ( Thanks Kile )

When I buy a Chair from Wal-Mart and the leg breaks off that?s one thing. When I buy an Aircraft Quality finished part it should be Safe.
A visual inspection is not the way that proves the Quality of a weld, only that it was welded by someone.
Random testing of parts that are welded by a named welder is the only way to know if his parts are safe

The finished weld should be inspected for undercut, overlap, surface checks, cracks, or other defects. Also, the degree of penetration and side wall fusion, extent of reinforcement, and size and position of the welds are important factors in the determination as to whether a welding job should be accepted or rejected, because they all reflect the qualify of the weld

The father that teaches his son to weld is scary if he is teaching him on my parts.

In my view if had to pay $200.00 dollars more to have the parts welded by a certified named welder is well worth it.
I would rather buy the Insurance before the accident

Nudge

Well said Dave. For example, I noticed that the bracket is only welded on one side. Is that an error or mistake, or the way it was designed? Only by putting it on the plane and seeing what the stresses are can that be determined. As an old A&P I feel confident in making many of my own decisions about airworthiness of a part, but still rely very heavily on the engineering done by Vans as well as their oversight of the sub contractors quality control. We do not have the plans thickness of material in that tube for example to compare to the part we are given. Regardless of our skills, we are still not the designer of the 12.

Well said Dave. For example, I noticed that the bracket is only welded on one side. Is that an error or mistake, or the way it was designed? Only by putting it on the plane and seeing what the stresses are can that be determined. As an old A&P I feel confident in making many of my own decisions about airworthiness of a part, but still rely very heavily on the engineering done by Vans as well as their oversight of the sub contractors quality control. We do not have the plans thickness of material in that tube for example to compare to the part we are given. Regardless of our skills, we are still not the designer of the 12.

Don is right, we customers do not have the drawing and specifications for each of the welded parts so we have no reference to use to determine if the part is correctly fabricated or not, then after fabrication the part is powder coated which makes it look nice but could cover any number of poor welding issues. At least in this case it would seem that the part must be inspected after the welding and before powder coating and as the part is only in Van's or their vendors hands at that time we have to be able to rely on Van's to send us good parts, which they do for 99.99% of the time.

The Safety Alert is good and it tells us that Van's has the issue in hand and we must assume they will also take the required action to prevent more of this kind of issue.

Best regards,
Vern

I apologize to Van's

I apologize to Van's for thinking that they were ignoring or trying to cover up a defect that could cause an accident. Although I did not mention Van's name in my above post where I mentioned Firestone and Toyota, I was thinking about them. The first report of a partially welded part could have been a freak incident. But when a second report was made now, more than a year later, it became obvious that each builder needs to inspect their parts. Van's promptly issued a safety bulletin. I respect them for taking the right action.
Joe

The part should be Safe

Danny I think you need to rethink this

I have a legal background in construction law. I worked on many structural steel Disputes. I worked with Wagner Hones & Ingles and legal Firms in Chicago on items just like this.
The responsible will lie first on the suppler (vans)
If his supplier in not named in the claim van will have to sue him
Are agreement is with vans, we have no agreement with his suppliers, this is vans responsibility

Vans lawyers will try to blame the builder, not his supplier and people like me will testify on the builder’s behalf and the jury will decide.

This is a sore subject with me.

I am also an experience welder and can make a good looking weld in gas, mig and tig and I will not weld my parts that are life treating. ( I am not good enough )

Vans is a great company and builds great kits.
This should be a wake up call

Go to www.joesrv12.com and click on shop at the bottom of the page and look at my welinng equipment

My view

Last edited:
Quote from Russ the Welder

Now this thread.. really IS starting to sound like courtroom drama... :(

Insinuation... with no facts whatsoever...

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Russ McCutchen

Get a job doing it and learn your craft under the supervision of those that have been doing it, then assuming you have the aptitude for it the welder is born.

And I said IF

Apprenticeship Program

Apprenticeship Program is what I am referring to and you well know it!!! At no time did I suggest that some Father was teaching his son in some garage some place on the parts you are putting in your airplane. An Apprenticeship Program is where new craftsmen learn there craft under the direct supervision of those that came before him, with ought this it wont be long before there is no one left to weld your parts.

Danny 7.

KALEWIS, if you read my post again you should see i said the difference between a TACK WELD and a FULLY WELDED part. I was not referencing you in my reply, it was a general statement to the other replies in this thread.

I'll say it again: If someone can't tell the difference between a tack welded part and a fully welded part, and uses them in his plane, it is all his fault when something goes wrong. If this applies to you, maybe i'm calling the "fire alarm" on something that is lacking in your mechanical background, and i highly recommend you(or anyone else in the same instance) get some easily learned advice on BASIC welding procedures.

Just because we don't have to weld any parts on RV's doesn't mean we as builders are not responsible for making sure the welded parts are of sufficient quality (finished to a certain level). And i'm not talking about doing dye inspection, but if that is what you want i'd say go for it. I'm talking about the difference between looking at 20 rivets and seeing that 18 of them are 100% clinched (bent over) instead of properly shaped heads and looking at 20 rivets and seeing one that the head is a little to fat (but no cracks, etc) for our personal liking. First case should be a glaring problem while the second case is 99% of the time perfectly fine.

If this isn't an area anyone feels comfortable double checking, take all the welded parts down to a welding shop and ask them if there are any glaring defects. There are ways to do the basic level of inspection even if you do not have the necessary information.

It all boils down to the builder, he is the final authority on the parts going into the aircraft he is building. when it comes time to fly the aircraft he should be able to say he looked over every part and if he didn't build it to acceptable standards he inspected it and pronounced it acceptable. That's my opinion and nothing the legal system does is going to change it.

KALEWIS- i thought what you did with calling attention to the parts perfectly acceptable, posting on VAF first is fine in my opinion. I was focusing in on this part here:

As the builder/installer I am responsible for determining the functionality of the part. In my case it broke while handling it. Yes I looked at it before, I did not see a glaring defect.

you mention you are responsible. if you looked at it and didn't see something wrong, i would only like to kindly encourage you to gain some basic welding knowledge. For a person trusting his life and some day others to these parts, you should be able to see the difference between a tack welded part and one with a full length weld.

anytime a part is to be joined a weld should run the full length of the two contacting surfaces, look smooth, clean, continuous. Comparing this material and technique to riveting, if a stiffening rib 10 inches long only has a single rivet on each end of the part, it should draw strong objections to being a finished part. I do not condemn your actions to this point, and was drawing general conclusions against other posts in this thread in my previous post(s). But i strongly encourage you to learn some basic information about welding processes because you mentioned you looked at the part and did not notice something wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back