What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

4-way box

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Planning ahead for flight tests next week and the 4-way box presents a question. Is there any guidance on how long each leg should be?

Wayne 120241

The "box" does not have to be square...

...it can be any shape, circular, ellipse, rectangular, or multi-sided. I requested (and was granted) a 6-sided shape, 40 miles x 80 miles, for my Phase I flight test area.

Your physical location, proximity to busy airspace, city size, etc will weigh in with what you will be granted. When you submit your paperwork to the FSDO, or DAR, include a sectional with your proposed flight test area well marked. You may just get what you ask for...

Flight test area isn't the problem

The second and third flight test cards requires to fly a 4-sided box-- apparently to check airspeed/grooud speed. 2 minutes/side-- 4 minutes-- doesn't say how long to hold each heading?

Wayne

Just fly each direction long enough so that you are satisfied that your airspeed and altitude have stabilized and record your readings. Of course, the idea is to fly each leg at the same airspeed and altitude. Also, I should add that you want to be holding a constant heading too. Those of us in the flat midwest have that easy, with the cardinal headings laid out on the ground with roads and farm fields!
Larry

Last edited:
Back