What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual display

LIMA HOTEL

I received my dual display kit today, and I think I will now have an independent backup for airspeed to the D180. The D100 gets hooked up to the pitot/static system. It appears that at least for the airspeed and altimeter the D100 is not just a repeater like it is for the engine instruments. I don't know about the other electronic flight instruments as I haven't traced the wiring out yet. I can prove out the airspeed and alt on the ground with the syringe method as described in the acceptance procedures. I will try this with the D180 turned off (to simulate failure) and hopefully the D100 will still give me some EFIS. I am sure some of you with other Van's models flying with dual glass can tell me if I am all wet!

I wanted the dual display primarily to keep the engine instruments ON at all times on at least a partial display on the right side of the panel. To have a backup of any flight instruments would be a welcome bonus!

This installation and a new landing light lens to replace the one I cracked while trying to drill it in my partially heated hanger are the last things of construction I have. My plane is painted and N numbered!

By the way, in this kit is a tray for the POH that fits under the right side of the panel and a map pocket that fits at the bottom of the tunnel cover and sits parallel to it about 8 inches tall. The tunnel cover forms the forward side of the pocket. The spare fuse holder now gets velcroed under the left side of the panel.

Larry

The D100 is a full Efis and will provide redundancy for your Efis functions with the exception of the compass. You can have redundant compass as well if you add a second remote compass.

Back