What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Word to the wise, and a question

LIMA HOTEL

I did a dumb thing while installing the AP74 for the auto-pilot system. I didn't really know how long I would have the panel apart to put the AP74 hole in, so I thought I would store the Dynon EFIS in its original tight fit, foam filled box that I saved just for such purposes to keep it clean and safe from harm. I forgot that it has its own nifty little internal power supply and it will turn on with a touch of a button sitting outside the plane. I didn't think of this as I was sliding it into that foam filled box and of course that foam pushed the buttons and turned it on. Now it didn't take me as long as I thought and I didn't leave in the box for too many hours so I didn't run the battery completely down. When I took it out of the box it was still on but gave a low battery indication.
The question is this: Does this internal EFIS battery need the master switch and the avionics switch on to charge back up and how long should it take for say an almost completely discharged battery to recharge?
Larry

Been there, done that. It'll recharge when you fly. Don't worry about it. Get one of those nice battery chargers by the way so you can hook it up and turn your master on while you do all those configuration settings. When the master is on, your Dynon battery is not. Funny story...when I flew my 12 all the regulator wires came out (wrong clips on the wire ends...I should have noticed like Larry did) and my battery died. Course the Dynon kept running as did the 496, as did the airplane.

Back