What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door Help Needed

jtoudouze

I am installing McMaster door seals just wondering how to deal with the area at the hinges ? If you have any picture of how to deal with this it would help !

Thanks John

pictures

If you go to mykitlog.com and search builders in Sunman, Indiana, you will find my build log...it has the photos you are looking for.

I fiberglassed over the hinge pockets in the door to provide an uninterrupted seal...

John,

Continue the seal around the area by the hinge pockets. You will have to fabricate covers out of fiberglass or whatever so the seal has something to push against. I used the window cutouts from the doors for the material. I also riveted nutplates for the hinge screws so I wouldn't have to hold a nut inside the hinge pocket to take off the door.

The planearound strut attach brackets are made so the geometry holds the gas strut away from the hinge pocket allowing a flat cover. Otherwise you would have to make the relief in the cover. The brackets also have a section milled out for the mcmaster seal. The holes are the same as the Vans bracket so it is an easy replacement. The ears on the brackets are 3/8" so it allows for different gas struts. A lot of builders buy aftermarket struts with more force.

https://planearound.com/shop?olsPage=products/door-strut-attach-brackets-set-of-two

I just used some thin aluminum and bent it to conform to the door and emimimate the inset for the hinges. I put a small amount of RTV on the aluminum and used small aluminum pop rivets to keep them in place. The door seal is continuous.

PM if you want pics.

Back