What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-320 engine differences

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'll be looking for a good 0-320 for my -9. Does anyone know a good source to learn about the different varieties of 0-320s and what their histories have been? Any books published on this subject or other sources? I'm trying to figure out which variety would work best for me before I begin a concious search for one, either new or mid-time.

Thanks,
Steve

Also......

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
I'll be looking for a good 0-320 for my -9. Does anyone know a good source to learn about the different varieties of 0-320s and what their histories have been? Any books published on this subject or other sources? I'm trying to figure out which variety would work best for me before I begin a concious search for one, either new or mid-time.

Thanks,
Steve

Keep in mind that most of these are also available in a narrow and wide flange model. Not much functional difference other than the wrenches used to pull the cylinders.

Narrow decks have ceased being produced, but there are plenty of spares available or being produced, and will be for a long time. However, they are older, if that makes a difference!

Some of the 150 HP models can safely be upgraded to 160 HP with new pistons, while some may not be able to be done so with a margin of safety or without restricting output or RPM's.

Dave

Back