What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Coffee!!

Maxrate

Well Known Member
A little fabrication, just because Mama has to have it.....:D

2helvtx.jpg

I'll keep the progress pics coming....

Last edited:
While I greatly prefer my own roasts to Starbucks, I highly admire your priorities. One question, is the little red selector to choose between high octane and decaf? :)

If I drank covfefe anywhere near or during flight time

... the red selector would be for "Pee NOW" and "Pee after precautionary landing.":eek:

One assumes that you have also installed the automatic thermostatically-controlled heater/cooler coils inside the cup holders.

Think about harness

Looks good but if you install a 5 point harness (for aerobatics) you may not be able to reach your coffee :eek:

I found a truck coffee holder that bolts under the panel cross bar on the passenger side that locks when retracted but pops out and unfolds when you push it. Works good for X country and for the wife when flying with the stick out but does interfere with full forward stick with the passenger stick in place.
Figs

Lots of airplanes have relief tubes from the factory. Definitely no need to blaze a trail here. Looks like a funnel with a trigger connected to a tube that goes out the belly. When you pull the trigger, it hisses something fierce. My father in law called it “The Monster”.

...but is there room?

Awesome idea!

Is there room underneath the cupholder recesses for the FI boost pump assembly?

Awesome idea!

Is there room underneath the cupholder recesses for the FI boost pump assembly?

Not in my setup, with AFP pump and filter. Also, it would impede my ability to stretch my legs to the middle on long XC flights.

That said, job well done!

Coffee is served!!

Now that the turkey is all gone and the family is back to their routine I had some time to finish the cup holder cover. It turned out very functional indeed! Next I plan on using some micro fill to get the top and sides smooth and wrap it in the same light weight synthetic leather as the rest of the interior. Then glue in the plastic cup holders from the underside. In all the added weight was only a few ounces and I was able to make use of that dang flap skin that I messed up during the wing build.

2hpqah1.jpg

2hgwtb4.jpg

fohkko.jpg

2pques2.jpg

Last edited:
... the red selector would be for "Pee NOW" and "Pee after precautionary landing.":eek:

Oh, I had to laugh! When my son was being potty trained and still fit in the child seat I had mounted in the back of our -9, we were on the way home from Ocracoke Island, level at 8,500' cleared through Charlotte's Class Bravo, when out of the back we hear, "I'VE GOTTA PEEEEEEEE!". We canceled with Charlotte, circled down as fast as we could and landed at Rowan County just in time!

One assumes that you have also installed the automatic thermostatically-controlled heater/cooler coils inside the cup holders.
Why not? Years ago Honda had cup holders in their "City" that would heat and cool their cup holders. Essentially it blew AC or heated air around the cup holders. That wouldn't be too hard to rig. At least the heated part. (Honda also made a little fold up motorcycle that would go in the back of their smallest car too. Maybe we could find a source for them to put in the back of our RV's?)

Your wife definitely has the right priority - I hope her bladder capacity is larger than my regular passenger. :eek:

Have you checked the reach on the far cup? Looks like you are building a -7. I'd never be able to get to the back one in my -6 during flight without unbuckling and reaching way under the panel.

I mounted my drink holders to the front of the main spare right under my legs - double faced tape on a 3d printed holder. The -7 doesn't have the spar, but the bulkhead is there and might be more accessible in flight.

Last edited:
Will cruise with the shoulder straps off like my day job for reach. I tried it while in a friends 6 and seemed to work pretty good. Secure the beverages in a small cooler for dynamic phases of flight and use the cup holders during cruise.

Why not? Years ago Honda had cup holders in their "City" that would heat and cool their cup holders. Essentially it blew AC or heated air around the cup holders. That wouldn't be too hard to rig. At least the heated part.
Got a few extra amps of power available? There's always Peltier elements that could be put to use. Heat or cool depending on polarity, use a little fan and heat sinks.

Looks like a great idea! Been trying to think of a way to do same thing. You?ve inspired me to give it a shot.

This should be a kit!

NICE!

I also like the access panels that you put into the F-704K's -- good idea for getting at pitot/static/etc. runs through there!

b

I like it

Here is what I did. Works great. The netting on the sides comes from a 2008 380Z.

2rzx8n8.jpg

2u8z97t.jpg

Yes. Using the Vans airflow performance electric pump kit with the cover provided I have about 1/2? clearance between the cup holder and top of the pump. That?s using the generation 2 AFP pump I believe it?s called.

Back