VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-24-2019, 04:02 PM

You can get dacron polyester fabric from just about any local fab store in various weights. When we were building the two Cozy MKIV's at my house, I would even find it on clearance once in a while in the Walmart fabric center for .99 cents a yard. If you use a fabric with a dyed pattern, it will sometimes bleed through though and leave the pattern on your fiberglass part!

RV-9A: Under Construction.
RV-10: Completed 12/29/2013 SOLD 08/23/2016

"Donor Exempt" but donated through Dec. 2020
Old 01-24-2019, 05:45 PM

Hi guys. One more question for you all. The term micro bubbles is used a lot. It seems like a generic term. It looks like it just means small glass bubbles. Is it safe to say that the 3M GLASS BUBBLES on ACS is the same thing as the generic micro bubbles?

3M GLASS BUBBLES
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...es/bubbles.php

I'll be using West Systems (I did see Dan's original note on the pumping of the product). Will probably just poor it.

However, West Systems has all kinds of speciality 400 series fillers.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...stemManual.pdf

It seems that you can obtain the same level of finish as the West Systems 400 series fillers by using micro bubbles and varying the amount micro bubbles you add.

Thanks all!
EAA Chapter 186
Old 04-12-2019, 05:32 AM

Sorry Rich, missed your question.

Microballoons are generally available in glass (white) and phenolic (dark red). They are the basic ingredient in almost all lightweight fillers.

The West line of fillers incorporate additional ingredients, most of which are equally common (for example, talc, styrene, and wood fiber). Obviously different blends impart different properties. In my opinion, those property changes are of little value to homebuilders. For sure the West blends are very expensive compared to stocking the shop with ordinary glass micro, flox, and cabosil.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:05 PM

Wow. Just wow Dan H. Can't give enough appreciation to you for you posting this thread. This is just awesome.
Thank you for the details and the photos!!
Prepping and waiting for final Finish kit to arrive - June 2019
VAF dues paid!
Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 PM

Default How many plies to glass empennage tips to aluminum?

For those who have glassed in their empennage tip fairings to get the seamless look, how many plies and what ply weight worked well? I like the look but want to minimize weight, and this isn't structural....but a single layer of very thin glass might crack over time due to vibration and different thermal expansion rates between the fiberglass tip fairing and adjacent aluminum surface. So I'm particularly interested to hear from those who have been flying for a while (what has -- or hasn't -- held up over time?).

Thanks,
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 08-15-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
For those who have glassed in their empennage tip fairings to get the seamless look, how many plies and what ply weight worked well?
No fabric plies at all. Tips bonded with Hysol, riveted wet, gaps filled with micro. Still doing fine at 875 hours.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
No fabric plies at all. Tips bonded with Hysol, riveted wet, gaps filled with micro. Still doing fine at 875 hours.
Wow, that's amazing...I'm really surprised that you haven't seen any hairline cracks show up where the micro meets the edge of the aluminum skin!

Thanks,
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 08-15-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
Wow, that's amazing...I'm really surprised that you haven't seen any hairline cracks show up where the micro meets the edge of the aluminum skin!
So I'm told. It's an experiment, and may explode any minute.

So, more than a decade ago, why did I think it would work? Here's reality. The tips are cheap polyester glass. The coefficient of thermal expansion is about 14 microinches per inch per degree F. The coefficient for aluminum is typically around 13....no significant difference to drive cracking. Plus the polyester glass is inside the aluminum flange, and evenly bonded (i.e. evenly stressed), not fastened at individual points. I could have drilled out the pop rivets after the Hysol cured.

Check back in another 800 hours. I'll keep the crow in the freezer.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:40 AM

Default Which Hysol is recommended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Dan - There are many Hysol variants out there- what is the recommended Hysol product for this application?

Thanks!
2019 =VAF= donor
Old 08-26-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS19087 View Post
Dan - There are many Hysol variants out there- what is the recommended Hysol product for this application?Thanks!
9430 is fine.