VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-14-2019, 02:36 PM

Default The BWT: 2 RV-4's travel the Western U.S. (Input Please)

The BWT (Big West Trip) will start October 4, 2019 and end October 21st. 17 days for a couple of dudes from Michigan to go explore (almost) everything west of us by RV-4. Two RV-4's to be exact. The idea is to camp as much as possible but I'm sure a couple nights in a hotel will be greatly welcomed. No real schedule to keep, just a day when we all have to be back to work.

Here are the highlight points of the trip (some Lat/Long's deleted to save space)

KRNP, KSJX, KCMX, (Isle Royale, Michgan), KCKC, KINL, KFAR, 64G, ND42, KRAP, KBYG, (Old Faithful), U56, 2U7, 3U2, KSMN, KMSO, KCOE, 66S, KBFI, 8W5, KFHR, 0S9, KCLS, (Mt. St. Helens), KCZK, KUAO, KMMV, R33, KOTH, (Crater Lake, Oregon), KCEC, KEKA, KRTS, KTRK, KMEV, KEDU, KHAF, KMRY, KFCH, (Big Sur, California), KSZP, KVNY, KHHR, KAVX, KCNO, L35, KTNP, (Amboy, California), KLAS, KSGU, KGCN, L41, KPGA, UT75, KCNY, KGJT, KLXV, K57, KRNP

I'm posting this to get some feedback from the collective about awesome places/experiences/bad FBO's/things I'm not aware of along our route. All input is appreciated. Some stops are for family members, some are just because, most are just for the cheap Avgas... The plan will be very fluid the entire trip and as with all flying trips, subject to weather and time constraints. Hopefully we can even be able to meet up with some of you!

RV-4 N249P O-320, Dual P-Mags, Warnke Prop, GRT Sport EX

Last edited by Jvon811 : 08-14-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:47 PM

Default KRAP

It looks like one of your stops is KRAP (Rapid City, SD). I'm assuming it's for fuel. Then you have another stop close by but I can't tell what that is. If this turns out to be the end of your day, I'd propose landing at Custer State Park airport (3V0) for the night (weather permitting). It's a great, rarely used paved runway in the middle of the state park. There is a hangar there but unless you shoot all the pigeons in there first, I'd just tie down outside. Perimeter fenced too for wildlife. Camp beneath the stars with buffalo, deer, elk, coyotes, and mountain lions all roaming around at large. I'm a couple miles away and would love to stop in and BS with you for a while. Make sure to fly by Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Harney Peak, and the Badlands on your way in or out. I'm kidding about the mountain lions...kind of.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:51 PM

Default Missing a few great airports

Looks like a fantastic flight!

You missed 3 of my favorite West Coast Airports.

KORS- Orcas Island Washington- Crew Car- crew bicycles- Camping Friendly- showers on field- 15 walk to Eastsound- fuel available
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2oLEx8FHD8

KPFC- Pacific City Oregon - 5 min walk to the beach- Great 1860' paved runway in the center of this Oregon Beach town-restaurants and accommodations on the edge of the runway- no fuel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_yDPZ4n8Qk

0Q5- Shelter Cove California - Fantastic location on the California Coast- food and accommodations within walking distance, no fuel,
https://youtu.be/gIVkUXMUMFI?t=3m19s
Old 08-14-2019, 11:10 PM

Default Think about Smiley Creek

U87 is just south of Stanley and one of the best in Idaho. I camped there just three weeks ago and have been visiting this field since the mid 70's. Great view of the Sawtooth Range all from a runway fit for a golfer. Set up camp next to the headwaters of the Salmon river where it's still a sparkling stream. Walk across Hwy 21 to the Smiley Creek Lodge and get a man sized breakfast. Go hiking near the airport, get hungry and stop in for a huge dinner and wash it all down with your favorite beverage. Stanley is a five minute flight up the valley and you can visit the little town but as far as sleeping...Smiley is the best.

Cheers, Hans

I'd rather fly than tinker.

"There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight."
- Elrey B. Jeppesen,
Old 08-14-2019, 11:43 PM

While in KMSO make it over to Mackenzie River Pizza. Get yourself an order of Lodge Poles with a Hot Hawaiian and a Moose Drool.

While in KBFI stop by Pigiron bbq I remember the sausage to be quite good.
Also you can stop by Airways Brewing. Go for the Sky Hag.

For KHAF go for Barbara's Fish Trap or Half Moon Bay Brewing Co.
Barbara's for, well, fish and HMBBC for pub grub and beer plus they have music usually on weekends

It occurs to me that it may seem like all I do is fly and eat and I admit that is a fair assessment.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 08-15-2019, 10:25 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I'm really looking forward to the trip. I've added a lot of potential stops and names to the docket. Between this website and the Facebook (knockoff) version of VAF, I've added a lot of local knowledge. I do hope more people chime in on here though! Lots of good info for a flatlander to know before heading that way.

RV-4 N249P O-320, Dual P-Mags, Warnke Prop, GRT Sport EX