Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2006, 09:14 AM

Jeff ‘s article is excellent and does a great job of summarizing the key points to make landing and parking at OSH a safe and memorable occasion. I would like to re-emphasize a couple of points based on five years of being one of the targets on the ground (Flight Line Operations Flagmen).

Read the NOTAM carefully especially regarding Rwy 9/27 which are generally preferred for landing general aviation planes unless traffic and/or Wx dictate otherwise . The TOWER decides the runway assignment in all cases. An excerpt from the NOTAM----

“After landing and when speed permits aircraft under 6,500 lbs are required to exit Runway 9 to the left or right, as directed, onto the sod. DO NOT TURN BACK ONTO THE RUNWAY. Be alert and use caution for hazards marked with cones or flags.

After exiting runway, put parking/camping sign in windshield and follow the EAA flag person directions to parking/camping area.”

This applies to Rwy 27 as well.

First, if using 9/27 you WILL be turned into the grass for taxi (except in rare cases). Follow the flagmen, and show your destination sign, 81/2” X 11” preferred. If we are not sure where you want to go (have no sign) we will send you where we THINK you would want to go. For RV’s etc this is usually homebuilt parking…. but not always the case. On more than one occasion this has resulted in six mile taxi’s! Sorry.

Second, once you are pulled from the grass taxiways you will be on large hard surfaced taxiways… that are OFTEN two way traffic. I know we are all taught to keep the center wheel on the yellow line at all times… NOT at OSH! Watch the Flagmen, they will indicate if you are to stay to the right, generally by pulling you with BOTH paddles on the side of themselves they want you to use, or by pointing to the yellow line then “pushing you over” with the paddles. We always try to use standard signals, but in a pinch we will improvise!

Third, when taxiing be prepared to share your space with the Big Guys, it is very common for us to hold you for minutes at a time while we bring out P51’s, T-6’s, B17’s even F16’s etc. The Flagmen are all well aware of what the prop wash (jet blast) from these guys can do to an RV much less a Cub! Please be patient with us even if you don’t understand why we are holding you.

And fourth, please don’t run over the flagmen… I’m getting old and don’t run as fast or bounce like I used to! Have a safe and wonderful OSH experience, maybe I’ll see you on the line!

Larry
Old 07-03-2006, 09:56 AM

Default 90 or 130 ?

If you have flown into OSH in your RV, which line do you prefer ? The 90kts or the 130kts.

I'm interested in the pros and cons of each since I'm planning to fly my RV-4 into OSH this year.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Stick
The 90kts or the 130kts.
The Notam clearly spells out thar the 130 kt pattern is for those aircraft which cannot use the 90 kt pattern, not for those who don't feel like it. I have heard arrival controllers in the past scold aircraft (like RVs) in the high pattern and order them to get down to 1800 ft and 90 kts. You may get away with it, be be prepared to fly the 90 kt pattern if neccessary.
Milwaukee
Old 07-04-2006, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Stick
If you have flown into OSH in your RV, which line do you prefer ? The 90kts or the 130kts.

I'm interested in the pros and cons of each since I'm planning to fly my RV-4 into OSH this year.
I've used the lower pattern both years that I went. Why? Because I can cruise cross country at almost 200MPH and then slow it down to Cub speeds in the pattern. That's right, because I can!

I have heard of RV's using the higher pattern but never heard whether they got in trouble for it or not. I don't have as much OSH experience as others but both times I've been there I've found the controllers to have the patience of Job. They are there for the same reason you are, they love it! These guys are the cream of the crop and are extremely professional. I've only heard them get upset when someone does something REALLY STUPID. I don't think you'll fall into that category.

In fact, if you run into an ATC guy (pink shirt IIRC) thank em for the great job!
Old 07-04-2006, 02:29 AM

Larry,

Glad to see there's another human traffic cone on the forums. You work for Flight Line Oops? Where abouts? I was just up at Oshkosh last week and talked to Jim Casper about getting us some more fuel truck cones. This thing is getting so close I can taste it.
Milwaukee
Old 07-04-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svanarts

In fact, if you run into an ATC guy (pink shirt IIRC) thank em for the great job!

Scott, I plan to do just that.. and not just the pink, but all the volunteers I encounter while there. They do a great job and are very worthy of everyones appreciation.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:07 AM

Jeff, yup, I work for Jim Casper. Never know where I'll be, often on the Point, the Turn or the Intersection. I'll stop by and chat with you when I get a chance. Counting down the days..... "FLO, We Play In Traffic"

Larry
Old 07-02-2007, 05:18 PM

Thanks for all the info Jeff, as well as all the work you do during the convention.

Any days to avoid flying in if it is your first time? I have heard that the Sunday before the show starts can get a bit hairy.

N782P will FINALLY be there!!!

Regards,
Old 07-02-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Kneeboard Format of NOTAM

If anybody is interested, I have kneeboard formats for the AirVenture NOTAM. One kneeboard for prep (the things you do before you fly, whether it is to or from Oshkosh), another for Arrival and another for Departure. I've used these for the past few years and upate them every year (they have been updated for 2007). Of course, it is mandatory that the NOTAM be read cover-to-cover but, once you've done that, the kneeboard formats distill the NOTAM to a checklist that can be used when flying, in chronological order. Send me an email if you want me to mail these to you. They are in MS Word format (print them landscape mode and fold the pages); feel free to tailor them to your own needs and share them with others.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucemoose
The Notam clearly spells out thar the 130 kt pattern is for those aircraft which cannot use the 90 kt pattern, not for those who don't feel like it. I have heard arrival controllers in the past scold aircraft (like RVs) in the high pattern and order them to get down to 1800 ft and 90 kts. You may get away with it, be be prepared to fly the 90 kt pattern if neccessary.
Perhaps the notam changed from previous years, but it's 135 knots for 2007 if you can't handle 90. Certainly there has to be a provision for a faster aircraft but this can be a mess from Fisk to the airport using the same route.

Last year after being cleared from Fisk to 36R behind a slower airplane, a significant gaggle of RV's came roaring across the top also headed for 36R. They descended in front of at least 2 airplanes who had to manuever to make room for the flight which may have been 8 or more aircraft. It all worked out but for a time it looked like the pattern would get extended to the south or someone would have to break it off. Maybe the controller at Fisk planned it that way but it sure jammed up the airpspace on base leg.

The notam does not address the merger of 90 knot and 135 knot aircraft or formations and solo aircraft after Fisk. As always, hang loose, keep your eyes open, watch your airspeed and don't run into anyone.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2018 This place is worth it!