What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your RV-10 Panel

WhichTruTrak gizmo is that?

Stein,

Looking at Lyle Bender's panel, what is the TruTrak product located between the backup AS and ALT? Kinda looks like a 2-1/4" ADI, but TT doesn't list a 2-1/4 ADI.

Thanks,

Stein,

Above, you mentioned "Here's another recent one that is among my favorites for cleanliness, symmetry and cost." Could you list of the "ingredients" of this panel and the approximate cost. Thanks, Cliff

I've done a work-up of various panel configurations here:
http://nerv10.com/wcurtis/91Panel/index.html

What I had not realize prior, is that by the time you add up the equivalent hardware in a Chelton Sport configuration, you are up to the same cost as a G900X.

I was think about using two MGL Odissey (10.4 screens) because it's quite cheaper. But a I need space to put radios, I'm planning on:

-GMA 340 audio panel
-GNS 430WAAS
-SL-30
-GTX 330
-Trutrak socerer

Is there enough space to put this stack between those big screens?

Finally a picture of Rob Hickman (AFS) panel-kind of.
RHPanel.jpg

Last edited:
Big Moment!

At about 8:45 this evening, after two evenings of device configuration data entry and checklist data entry, our panel came to life for the first time. When I switched Vertical Power from "Engine Start" mode to "After Engine Start" mode, it came to life, just as advertised!
Living "next door" to SteinAir and being able to drop in and work on my panel with Stein and his wizards really rocks! (Doug Law in particular!)
Now that I have had some "hands on" time, I am even more enthusiastic about Vertical Power. Note the absence of switches and circuit breakers on this panel! I hope to have it in the airplane in a week or so.

Dual Chelton's
AFS Angle of Attack
Tru-Trak RV-10 Autopilot
Garmin 430W
Garmin SL-30
Garmin GTX 330
PS Audio Panel
Dynon D-100
WSI weather
Vertical Power VP-200

David, I'd only seen line drawings of the panel a while back. It looks even better for real! Stein does a great job, eh? Now to fire up the air conditioning...

Installed

Here is my panel in the airplane and working.:cool:
last 90% getting whittled down daily.

AFS Angle of Attack
Dual Chelton Sport EFIS
Tru-Trak RV-10 A/P
Vertical Power VP-200
PMA 8000 audio panel
SL-30
GNS0430W
Dynon D-100 with backup battery
GTX-330 XPDR
Grand Rapids EIS 6000 driving the onscreen engine info for VP and Chelton
WSI wx

Last edited:
RV-10 panel design with garmin 696

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]I thought I would post my new panel design with the new Garmin 696.
Comments are welcome

Geoff Combs
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Looking good Geoff! Just one quick question...what do you have for total panel height? That's the only area I'd be careful with because of the sticks/stick grips...but I can't tell from your pics what the height is so you might be good.

Cheers,
Stein

Total height is 13.875 were legs go under. I checked with some other RV-10
guys that are flying and I am under their length by .5 and they said they are good.

Panel height.

Total height is 13.875 were legs go under. I checked with some other RV-10
guys that are flying and I am under their length by .5 and they said they are good.

I sent Geoff my measurements but he may have to modify his stick if he uses the Infinity grips even if it is .5" higher.
I had to cut my stick and bring the grip back about 1" and also angled it slightly so that it doesn't interfere with the panel at all. Not a big deal.

Here are measurements I took on my panel. The distance from the bottom of my panel to the floor is 19 3/8".
My total panel width is 14 5/8" at its thickest point. (next to the radio stack)

Another nice -10 panel.

Again....not mine personally, but the owners are not regular "online" participants so I thought I'd share their baby with ya'll. They are proud new parents that picked this up from us yesterday. I'm afraid the picture isn't very good, but the panel sure is pretty!

Cheers,
Stein
paneldonestein.jpg

Dang Stein,

Got the Nifty Garmin screens and still need the Dynon tucked into the corner for a backup?? I know, it takes much less space than the three standard steam backups..

CarbonFiber

Goeff,
What kind of release paper did you use? It looks like you dulled the sheen down a bit. Looks great!
Dan B
Mesa, AZ

The finish in the tool was only taken to a 600 grit paper. We did not polish the tool yet. If someone wants it shinny we would clear coat the part.

Geoff

Stein

If a guy was going install a GCU 476 alphanumeric FMS controller Where would it be installed?

Again....not mine personally, but the owners are not regular "online" participants so I thought I'd share their baby with ya'll. They are proud new parents that picked this up from us yesterday. I'm afraid the picture isn't very good, but the panel sure is pretty!

Cheers,
Stein
paneldonestein.jpg

Geoff,

Nice panel! Did you also make the center console? If so, can you show some of the inside and hinging detail?

How about us 7 builders?

Man that is nice! You thinking about other RV models too right? I'm not at the panel yet but something like this will make my plane look purdie!

OK

I wasn't going to do this, you know put all you other -10 owners to shame, but what the heck, the sexiest -10 panel ever made on the planet deserves its little bit of lime light!!!:D

Well maybe I am a little bit biased........

DB :cool:

4525920200a10235245565l.jpg

AMac

I wonder who that could be!!! :)

Yes and your panel is cut and waiting..... the glove box is being made this week to suit, along with your ER tanks!

DB:cool:

Again, not my personal panels...but 2 customers have finished installing their G900X panels and indeed they are nice. Check out the neat switch arrangement on Mark's panel! One of these is for sure going to be at OSH because it was there last year (albeit with a different panel), the other "may" make it - but the owner also usually has to take his staggerwing too (yes...that's me being jealous of his other gorgeous plane)! Both of these guys are true craftsmen and their individual attention to detail is phenomenal. Anyway, just thought I'd share them with ya'll.

Cheers,
Stein

G900xmm.jpg

G900x4.jpg

Last edited:
Again, not my personal panels...but 2 customers have finished installing their G900X panels and indeed they are nice.

Those are awesome, Stein -- I'm very far from panel installation (just ordered my empennage), but I'm anticipating installing a G900X system, and I like seeing how people have arranged the two displays. Have you done any with a Vertical Power system as well?

-- Chris

We actually have two of them (RV panels with G900X's) going together in the shop right now with Vertical Power systems being installed. No good pictures yet, but it won't be too long. It's a tight squeeze, but it will all fit...barely!

Cheers,
Stein

And I'm sure that Gary is very much enjoying his new Garmin panel over what was in his first panel. It will be interesting to see how Gary gets both of his RVs (one with four wheels and one with three) to OSH this year.

I certainly have panel envy for those new ones that SteinAir is building with both the G900 and VP-200 installed. Now all I need to do is to find a job that will pay enough to allow me to buy one. :D

Panel plan for N62DN

I have scoped out most of the instruments and was working on layout. The EFIS is the MGL Odyssey. Any -10 operators have suggestions with layout?

Here is the panel image.

I disagree on moving the headset jacks outboard. If they are outboard, the wires may be in the way when you are entering and exiting the airplane. I mounted mine in the center console and am very happy with them there. I can report that this airplane is not the easiest to get in and out of for "mature" fat guy's!!

I have scoped out most of the instruments and was working on layout. The EFIS is the MGL Odyssey. Any -10 operators have suggestions with layout?

Here is the panel image.

I don't have a ton of comments, but I do have a few questions...

1) Do you plan on using the airplane IFR (I'm guessing so since you have a 430 and a few backups)? I would review choices based on the answer to that question.

2) Do you already have a King Txpdr? If not, then buy a Garmin. If so, that's ok.

3) Do you already have the EXP Bus? If so - ok, but if not then forget about it and go with either switches/breakers or switches/fuses...there are a lot of reasons - too many to decipher here. If you do have the EXP bus already-still do some careful consideration about what your plane needs for total current load and what the EXP can handle.

4) Is this a plane you're going to keep or possibly sell? Again, makes a huge difference in what I might comment on. Equipment choices can cause huge and drastic valuation differences in the plane.

5) Will you be flying it from the right seat? If so, then the EFIS location should be re-considered...and if you're going to fly it from the left seat then the switch location should perhaps be reconsidered.

6) I'm guessing no trim switches on the stick? How about using the trim indications in the MGL?

7) Why put the ELT remote in the valuable panel space in front of the pilot?

8) Think carefully about putting the Jacks there. Again that's valuable real estate for engine controls, heat cables, parking brake, alternate air/carb heat, flap switch, etc..

9) Back to flying from the right or left seat...and the Garmin GPS. If you don't use an angle adapter, it'll be pretty hard to see the GPS on the right side from the pilots seat. Perhaps locating it closer to the center of the panel (in the stack) might locate it in a more centralized location?

10) Is there a reason for not locating the EXP bus (if you go that way) up in the main panel instead of on the lower panel? The main panel is pretty valuable space, and the lower "switch strip" works pretty well to put switches/breakers and such.

Anyway, I know those aren't a lot of comments...but I can't really comment until I know the answers to some of the above questions as my response would be different depending on what you are planning to do. As it sits now, it's not bad, but I'd spend a bit of time really looking at your mission for flying, mission for the plane, your plan for the plane, and then perhaps take a serious look at equipment choices as it relates to that. It's hard for any one person to give good objective criticism without knowing your intent in several aspects of the plane. Typically the RV-10's are built for good, solid X/C IFR platforms....and the equipment choice/placement will have a lot of impact on not only the functional use of the plane but overall value of the plane. Do stellar job in both areas and the plane will be bang up great in all aspects. Do a poor job in either area you'll be disappointed in both aspects of the plane. You're doing a good job to take some time and study before cutting metal!

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

panel

I agree with Stein--also, you have backup airspeed and altimeter, but no backup attitude indicator. Put in smaller AS and Alt, and then add some sort of attitude indicator. For sure put in the angled 396/496 adapter. If you don't you will not be able to see the portable garmin--it's hard enough angled due to distance. Garmin digital TXP much better than King. Headset jacks cause problems putting them on the sides as mentioned, but the wires will be in the way coming out on the panel. Putting them back on the tunnel works well. Wires out of the way for getting in and out, and for flying. ELT dufur needs to be on the right. Personally, you will use the 430 and TXP much more than you will use the AS and ALT, so I would move the radios over to the left. Only downside of that is in real emergency you have to look further right for instruments. I would rather design for 99.999% of time rather than for the rare use of the backup instruments. Also, with this setup, you would need to depend on the portable gps, so for sure do the angled setup. getting the switches over to the left would also help. (at least some of the most important and most used--master, avionics master et al) IMHO larry (currently TDY in Charlotte, NC!!!!!):)

panel20090509grey.gif

Was thinking about this last night, and Stein's (and others') posts hit the nail on the head. Looks like a primarily left-seat pilot orientation, perhaps with the X96 over on the right to give the right-seater something to view. However, it looks like a lot of reaching, which I'm guessing will get old pretty fast! My thoughts (moving left to right), to echo the others:

1. Headset jacks to the lower corners.
2. ELT panel to far right (opposite of where it is). Rarely used.
3. Key switch to where the ELT panel now is.
4. 2 light rheos to where the key switch is, or drop them onto the lower panel. Big reach where they are now.
5. Steam backups to the left of the EFIS, perhaps consider 2.25 inch models.
6. Swtiches down to the lower panel, and below the EFIS...no reaching. Toggles may fit better there.
7. Trim via a cooley hat. Use EFIS for trim indicators or tuck them in to the left of the EFIS (where key switch is if rheos go to lower panel).
8. Stack the GPS (as Stein said) over the audio panel, and slide them all closer to the middle if you move the steam...a lot less reaching to smash all the buttons, and better vis of all the data.

That leaves a lot of real estate to the right for CB's, a glove box, or a possible upgrade path to a second EFIS for the right seater (Voyager?) if/when budget allows or the need arises.

Just another $0.02. It's all very personal of course, and you have a lot of very nice equipment in there. When I did my panel upgrade, ergonomics was a huge factor, as the previous set-up had a lot of reaching across the panel that I wanted to eliminate. With all this great stuff, a few possible ergo-adjustments will really make it sing!

Have fun!!

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Back