VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Installing Wings w/ Fuse on Dolly

I would like to get my wings painted and out of the garage. However, I need to fit them first before painting to get all of the nutplates on for the gap covers. I am not ready to put the fuse on the gear yet and was wondering if anyone has put the wings on with the fuse on a dolly. I did this on my 6, but those wings were much lighther. It would seem that as long as I have good support under the spar carry through I should have no issues. My current dolly supports under the web in front of the spar, so would have to fabricate a new brace or move the fuse forward a foot.

Curious what others have done.

Larry
Old 07-08-2018, 01:20 PM

I did it that way. The only downside for me was that it was a real bear to trim the flaps and I could not fit/drill the wing/fuse fairings on the bottom of the wings because the trolley was in the way.

In the next week or so, I'm gonna invite folks over to re-fit the wings so I can do the bottom wing/fuse fairings and the upper gear intersection fairings. Then the wings head to the painter.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:59 AM

This worked well for me.......If you have a table/or equivalent of the approx height required with a single foam mattress on top, and the table has castors fitted, then after getting a friend to help put the wing on the mattress, it’s an easy one man job to fit the wings cause it can be pushed/rolled into place and “rocked” up or down on the mattress to align the holes. Cheers from Western Australia
Old 07-09-2018, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the help guys!