Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2018, 06:03 PM

Turn on electric pump (master switch) and note fuel pressure.
Start engine and look for increase in fuel pressure.
Now you know that both pumps are working.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick seiders View Post
Pretty sure I can use the Kavlico. Would appreciate any help in sending useful info to make the conversion. Thanks
Dick seiders
There were a number of posts in past on how to make the conversion. I know you've been searching, but here is what I remember.

The Kavlico will mount on the same screw as the VDO but you need a different bracket:

This plan sheet shows the installation, you will need to run 5 volts from somewhere as the Kavlico has a third wire. Joe Gores might be your best bet for how he did it:

You will need to set the Sensor Type on the D180 for the Kavlico. I don't remember what the type for it is, maybe "2", check with Dynon if you can't find that by searching posts here.

RV-12 #202 -- Flying
Old 07-09-2018, 09:57 AM

Thanks Tony.
Iíll check with Joe
Dick Seiders
Old 07-09-2018, 10:53 AM

Joe Gores, would you expand on Tonyís info for Kavlico install?
Thanks
Dick seiders
Old 07-09-2018, 04:00 PM

Hi Dick,
I still have the original fuel pressure sender.
Exactly what information are you looking for? If you are looking for a 5 volt source, it is available at the manifold pressure sensor, WHT/RED wire.
Connect 5 volts to Kavlico Red wire.
Disconnect the two brown wires from the VDO sender. Turn on the D-180 and determine which of the two brown wires has voltage on it. Connect that wire to the Kavlico green wire.
Connect the other brown wire to the Kavlico black wire.
Change the D-180 setup.
Read THIS Dynon document.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:53 PM

Thank you Joe. Iíll make the conversion. to Kavlico if further testing doesnít assure the VDO. I canít believe your original sensor is
still working.
Dick Seiders
Old 07-10-2018, 07:34 AM

Joe Gores, I have noted your fuel pump pressure test. Question: have you checked for decreasing psi on run up and climb out? If so what are the readings?
Thanks
Dick Seiders
Old 07-10-2018, 08:08 AM

I actually have two checks for fuel pump in my preflight checklist. I guess you could add a 3rd check for fuel pressure right after the ignition check while engine is still at high speed.

I have dual-screen D-180 EFIS and both screens are configured for 100% EMS at power-up. Makes engine start and initial monitoring a charm...
-
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 391

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 07-10-2018, 09:55 AM

The fuel pressure senders are notoriously inaccurate. The actual numerical value of the pressure is meaningless and will vary both in my plane and in other planes. Pressure drop is directly proportional to flow rate. At zero flow rate, there is zero pressure drop. As the flow rate increases, so does the pressure drop. So it is normal that pressure will drop at high RPM. Aren't there gravity fuel systems with about 3 feet of head pressure? That is about 1 psi. So fuel pressure of 2 psi or more is good enough. If the fuel flow rate passes the test described in Van's manuals, there is nothing to worry about. Just compare the pressure with electric pump only to the pressure with both pumps running. If the pressure goes up, then both pumps are working. Like I said, the actual values are meaningless.
An RV-12 owner installed a mechanical fuel pressure gauge below his instrument panel. It required a firewall penetration. And the gauge was plumbed with rubber hose. Even though he knows exactly what the fuel pressure is, I consider my RV-12 safer because there is less of a fire hazard.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:33 PM

Hey Jimmie, nice to hear from you. Good preflight list only things I don’t have are one notchflaps as Inever use them for takeoff except on short field.
Thanks for your interest
Dick Seiders

Last edited by dick seiders : 07-10-2018 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Sp