- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2018, 01:12 PM

Default Lo pressure runup and climbout

It’s lback afte r two yrs. se repla ced sensor again but it’s still there.
What am I overlooking or is it just that rv12. Driver just need to learn to ignore the worry of it?
Dick Seiders
Old 07-07-2018, 01:47 PM

I presume you are talking about the fuel press. I have flown three years with a fluctuating pressure. I bought a new sensor and had the same problem untill I found the Dynon technical service bulletin. I removed the gasket from the connector and have a good reading ever since.

MyKitlog
Picasa pictures
Old 07-07-2018, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the. Feedback but what Dynon tech bulletin to are you referring to?
Also unclear on removal of gasket Can you elaborate please?
Dick seiders
Old 07-07-2018, 03:15 PM

This may be what is being referred to:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ghlight=purple

http://www.dynonavionics.com/bulleti...tin_120414.php

I tried this on my RV-12 and it appeared to make no difference -- so I reinstalled the purple gasket as it was.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 650+ hours (as of July 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.

Last edited by DHeal : 07-07-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:42 PM

That is the one I was referring to. With the gasket installed my fuel press was just in the green during start up but as soon as I started the take-off roll my pressure was decreasing and indicating zero just after take-off. During the descent the pressure was rising again.
After removing the purple gasket the fuel pressure is around 5psi and is stable during the entire flight. I left the gasket off.
My fuel pressure sensor is in the serial number range mentioned in the bulletin.

MyKitlog
Picasa pictures
Old 07-07-2018, 04:47 PM

I do not have a Kavlico sensor . Equipment. In 2009 was VDO. I never received instruction to change that I. An recall. So what are the other old timers
out there doing?
Dick Seiders
Old 07-07-2018, 09:06 PM

I took off today in PHX at 0645. It was 89F on the ground with a 2 thousand foot thick layer at 94F to climb through before the lapse rate kicked in. I have a switched fuel pump that I usually turn off after leaving the pattern. Today every time I switched it off I got a low fuel pressure and high fuel flow alarm indicating vapor lock. It was an hour cold soaking at 68F at 9500 FT before I could turn off the electric pump and maintain normal fuel pressure.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
I took off today in PHX at 0645. It was 89F on the ground with a 2 thousand foot thick layer at 94F to climb through before the lapse rate kicked in. I have a switched fuel pump that I usually turn off after leaving the pattern. Today every time I switched it off I got a low fuel pressure and high fuel flow alarm indicating vapor lock. It was an hour cold soaking at 68F at 9500 FT before I could turn off the electric pump and maintain normal fuel pressure.
And this is the reason Vans designed the electric fuel pump to run continuously and not be switched on/off indiscriminately by the pilot.

Vapor lock is a show stopper - literally.
PPL/ASEL 1970 Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 366

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 07-08-2018, 12:34 PM

True, but it is only a problem at high fuel temperature. 8 months of the year in PHX switching the pump off makes no significant change in fuel pressure. I like the option to switch it off so that my run up demonstrates the satisfactory operation of the mechanical pump. If the mechanical fails with a constant running electric pump you wonít know until the electric fails. It is a difference in operating philosophy. I can see both sides of the argument, and my choice is for the switch. Iím sure that others choose the Vanís approach, and thatís their business.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:29 PM

Pretty sure I can use the Kavlico. Would appreciate any help in sending useful info to make the conversion. Thanks
Dick seiders