- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2018, 10:11 AM

Default Kissing the belt-driven alternator goodbye forever-

I thought some of you might take interest in the process of complete removal of the belt-driven alternator from my RV-7A, including the drive pulley cast into the Lycoming flywheel. This link will take you to a photo album with detailed captions illustrating that process and discussing some of the many advantages.

https://public.fotki.com/Hartstoc/go...ven/?view=roll

I now have about 20 trouble-free hours on the installation above, and about 45 hours on the awesome B&C BC462-H spline-driven alternator with custom cooling shroud that made this all possible. That earlier story can be found here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...hlight=Bc462-h
Frmr Test Pilot/Author CAFE APR's:
RV-8A, S-7C, Europa, Glastar.
-2018 VAF donation!!-
"RV-Fun is inversely proportional to RV-Weight!"

Last edited by Hartstoc : 07-07-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:48 AM

I enjoyed reading your write ups and seeing the photos. Very interesting stuff here Otis. Thanks for sharing!
RV-8, Sold
Bearhawk 4-Place, Sold
=VAF= donor 2018
Old 07-08-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash View Post
I enjoyed reading your write ups and seeing the photos. Very interesting stuff here Otis. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the kind words! I’m certainly grateful for all the experience shared by others on VAF, and the feedback and questions generated in response to my own posts here can be priceless and completely worth the effort. What a great venue!
-2018 VAF donation!!-
Old 07-08-2018, 12:30 PM

I like this idea for moving some weight aft on my nose-heavy RV-10. Do you have any weights for the pulley and belt. Is there much diffence in weight from a PP to the pad mounted unit?

Mark
40# ballast when solo.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:42 PM

Considering the heft and location of the brackets and hardware for the belt driven version, going to the pad mounted example is probably a noticable moment change on the 540.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
Old 07-08-2018, 01:10 PM

Agreed, the length of the motor moves the heavy alternator a long way forward. I saw the weight totals in the article. The process would be very simple if one left the pulley as is. No prop to pull and no mill work. I wonder what the pulley weighs?

Mark
Old 07-08-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConner View Post
I like this idea for moving some weight aft on my nose-heavy RV-10. Do you have any weights for the pulley and belt. Is there much diffence in weight from a PP to the pad mounted unit?

Mark
40# ballast when solo.
The pulley and belt amount to about 1.5#, but as someone noted the brackets, not to mention the heavy guage cable to the nose, and the alternator itself adds up. My brackets were aluminum, but many are heavy steel. Btw this IS covered in the captions under the photos, so if you mised those there is a lot of info there. My total removed was about 11.5#, whereas the pad-mount BC462-H weighs about 7.5 and is almost 24” further aft. If an honest 42 Amp alternator(45max) will serve your needs, then I recommend it highly. The custom cooling shroud that I built adds about 1/2 pound, but well worth it for the peace of mind of KNOWING that it is always operating in a super-benign environment. Please do go to that thread if you are considering conversion to the pad mount.

Sublty shifting my empty weight CG aft a bit is actually an intentional part of my overall plan. I’ll be starting a thread on this topic at some point- but if you want the most nimble RV possible, one that handles like a mid-engine sports car, you should bethinking about reducing polar mass AND dialing in your empty weight CG for a mid-aerobatic-envelope when flying solo with a light fuel load. The lightweight composite prop blades and the Alternator swap both provided me with these benefits, and my 7A handles like an Acura NSX as a result. For those interested, I reverse-engineered my EW CG to 80.5”. This still allows an aerobatic instructor and half tanks in the aerobatic envelope, or for me, my wife, 100# of baggage, and full-to-empty tanks to be wilthin the normal category envelope. Too-forward CG’s make for boring airplanes.- Otis
-2018 VAF donation!!-

Last edited by Hartstoc : 07-08-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartstoc View Post
... and my 7A ... This still allows ... for me, my wife, 100# of baggage, and full-to-empty tanks to be wilthin the normal category envelope.
Just to be accurate, if that is within the Van's recommended GW of 1800 pounds, it would be in the Utility category.

Nice job on the alternator mod!
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 07-08-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Just to be accurate, if that is within the Van's recommended GW of 1800 pounds, it would be in the Utility category.

Nice job on the alternator mod!
I stand corrected, utility category! It wasn’t necessary, but I’d have been willing to accept as low as an 85# baggage limit to achieve my “nimbleness” goals, but fortunately my wife and I combine to less than 300#, so thanks to Van’s incredible design, no sacrifices were required! An added advantage for the “A’s” is that moving to a slightly more aft EW CG target reduces nose wheel weight in all loading configurations. It DOES mean that you have to be slightly more on the ball as a pilot, and I would never consider violating Van’s published CG envelope in any loading configuration, not even by a little bit.
-2018 VAF donation!!-

Last edited by Hartstoc : 07-08-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:53 PM

Has anyone done this on an IO360 with the 90 degree oil filter adapter? I'm wondering if there is room for the alternator next to the filter.
[IMG][/IMG]
Dues paid Dec 17