VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-30-2018, 11:43 AM

Default Nose gear weak?

No, I don't think the nose wheel gear leg is weak. It does take a little getting used to as it is good and flexy. If you watch your landings for any extra speed after the flair, you will want to hold the aircraft just off the runway tell it is ready to settle. If you bounce it with any extra speed the gear will try to tuck under because of the leaver force put on the front fork. On grass or hi-drag suffices this combined tuck and drag can lead to the front gear leg bending back and under. If you get the feel of checking your flair just off the ground and holding that, you will do just fine. While first getting used to this, I have bounced a couple of times, but the throttle in the other hand took care of that, by pushing it up for a go-round, tell I got the hang or it. Your fine with either bird as far as I can see. The tail wheel has its getting used to as well.
Just our two cents. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 06-30-2018, 12:44 PM

Thanks Robert. Puts the mind at ease about the nose wheel.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:15 PM

never had a problem with my 8A on grass

Old 06-30-2018, 05:34 PM

Default Find a new insurance company!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoyne34 View Post
Iím sure itís been asked thousand times already, is there a noticeable difference between the two? Is it true that the 8A has a weak nose gear, and something I should be concerned about?

I was leaning towards the -8 until I got insurance quotes. At $1200/yr more for the tailwheel, it got me thinking about the 8A.
I'm a low time pilot and my total costs for my -8(tail wheel) is $1484 w/70k on the hull. Call Leah Ringeisen Gallagher Aviation. You seriously need to find a new insurance company.

Go for the TW, you won't regret it for a moment.
RV8 - The Dream - Under Construction
Old 06-30-2018, 08:08 PM

Default Shocking

Quote:
Gallagher was the $3600 quote. Couldn’t think of their name. I’m still a bit out, but I’ll see what Falcon says. Thanks
These prices you are being quoted a shocking. I had about 200 hours of logged total time and 100 hours of tail wheel when I got my quote for $1484.

Last edited by Northernliving : 07-01-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:27 PM

Brian, thatís who I got my quote from through Gallagher. The exact amount was $3692/yr.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Low time, around 170TT IR pilot with zero tail time. All quotes wereassuming $80k hull. For tail dragger AVEMCO was $5900/yr, another insurance was $3600/yr and AOPA was $2600/yr. the -8A through AOPA was $1400/yr. So, it’s definitely time related and high due to lack of tailwheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Albery View Post
Try talking to Gallagher or Falcon agencies. They are both popular in the experimental community and could find you a better quote.

An initial high quote may come down a lot after the first year once you've gained some time on type.
In addition, where you base it might impact your rates. A short grass strip will get you higher rates over a long paved strip.

These are spot on.

After you get 100 hours in type/ tailwheel, it will come down.

Negotiate with your vendor. Ask what it will come down to, if you get your endorsement in something else and maybe 20 hours if TW time.

Don't build an -8A, they are the Tripacer of the Van's fleet.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 07-01-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:55 AM

Ins is always based on risks, t/w is considered higher on the risk scale as far as Ins Co's are concerned, personally I can't understand this as a conventional u/c a/c is far better to handle and safer "IF" the driver has been taught properly.
Plenty of 'A' models have gone A over T due poor weak design, even Vans where forced to build an ' A' model due customer pressure. Personally Vans ruined the desgn by adding a 'Girly' version but hey Vans are n business to make money not for looks alone I have to pay a premium for my 8 due the 'average' pilot out there and I have over 11000 hrs! Just the way it is!

Last edited by Capt : 07-01-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:01 AM

Default Strange

Quote:
Brian, thatís who I got my quote from through Gallagher. The exact amount was $3692/yr.
That seems very strange that it's over 2x. Something doesn't add up. Make sure you are talking to the right person there. PM or email me if you want the phone number of the rep that I worked with.

That said, I think I'd pay the extra and get the TW!
Old 07-01-2018, 05:13 AM

This question has been posted many times. My personal opinion is the 8 is a sexier looking airplane than the 8A. The 8A is much more cross wind capable. When they are off the ground there is no difference. As for a weak nose gear, the rollovers in the 6,7 and 8 are almost always pilot error, if you land hard on the nose gear it can make for a very bad day.
Eagles Nest Mentor
EAA Tech Counselor