Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-25-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWelch View Post
FWIW, offering my (far from expert) experience...
I also ordered the Rutan cloth from ACS (couldn't find the uni-cloth recommended in the KAI at the time)
The Rutan cloth did a great job accommodating the curves. However that same characteristic made it a pain to keep in shape as you move it from the cutting table to the layup. That stuff just flexes all over the place, changes dimensions, and drove me crazy. Also, the lighter weight didn't build up as much as I'd expected.
I'm not unhappy with the result but I will have to do some filling in some spots while prepping for paint. Probably would have to anyway.
RECOMMENDATION: Save or duplicate the fabric cutting templates in case you need to redo a piece or two.
two-cents,
Dave
BID is pretty squirrelly ... I put the cut pieces on a piece of 2 mil polypropylene sheet (aviation paint isle at any HW store) ... wet it there with epoxy and sandwich it with another piece of plastic prior to transport to the plane. The sheet keeps everything in place nicely until you're ready to commit. Did a 4 ply layup for a tipper targa strip and it worked perfectly!
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Working the baffles
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2018 donation happily made
Old 06-25-2018, 07:32 AM

If you follow the manual, take your time and use some care you should have a good lay up. Stay away from the Viking part. It will never look as good as a good lay up. You can tell the canopies that have this part a mile away. I have a bud that used this part and put more time in getting it to look right than a a lay up would have taken. If workmanship and quality matter, stay away from it.
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Rans S21 Outbound (Coming soon)
Old 06-25-2018, 07:32 AM

BID is almost any woven cloth. Unidirectional is useless for bidirectional loading, as almost all the fibers are aligned along a single axis.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...5&postcount=10

Cut all the pieces, stack 'em on clear 4 mil plastic sheet, add epoxy, add another plastic sheet, work it for wetting, roll the excess out to the edges, cut away that plastic and trash it, peel one side from the layup, place it on the airplane, peel the other sheet, stipple into place with a cut brush.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:15 PM

I was poking around the vans website yesterday and under the -14 service information page found several excellent "how to fiberglass the -14 canopy" videos. I realize this isn't intended for the -12, but I thought the videos were very helpful in demystifying the process:

https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv14.htm

scroll down towards the bottom.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:30 PM

I ordered two yards and had a lot left over. BTW, I initially installed the Viking pre-formed shroud only to rip it off and layup one per the plans. It wasn't too difficult and you'll never get one to fit as good.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Cut all the pieces, stack 'em on clear 4 mil plastic sheet, add epoxy, add another plastic sheet...
Stack all the pieces, then add epoxy? Almost seems like cheating.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 07-14-2018, 11:30 PM

Default Don't use Viking part for ELSA

I checked with Van's and using the Viking canopy part will void the ELSA certification.