Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-20-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotkms View Post
This model, pictured in Bruce Hill's post above, has a swivel mount. This removes the alignment angle others have mentioned above. It swivels to wherever your hand is comfortable while flying. A nice benefit.
Check out his build site. He also made his co-pilot stick removable with functioning buttons. a VERY NICE feature I copied. Thanx Bruce.
??? That mount looks identical to my Tosten. When the socket head cap screw is properly tightened, the grip position is fixed. It can be set at whatever rotational angle desired, but it is fixed once the screws are tightened.

Are you saying you are leaving that SHCS loose (but locked with locknut) so it rotates under use?
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page
Old 06-20-2018, 06:17 PM

Bill - I recall installing per instructions, and those are at the airport too. Ill check my installation tomorrow and get back to u.
RV 7A RV #9700
N325KS the Flying K
Built in SoCal KCCB, now @ KPXE
200+ Hours & 5x cross the USA
2018 OSH - yes
Old 06-21-2018, 12:48 PM

?
Are you saying you are leaving that SHCS loose (but locked with locknut) so it rotates under use?

No. The SCHS is tightened and the locknut is also. But the SCHS clamps on to the bushing inside the stick shaft. My black handle rotates on top of the bushing. U are implying that yours is locked on top of the bushing - yes? If so, Not sure why u would do this. I think they were designed to rotate this way. Or have I done it wrong?? The bushing is locked into the stick shaft, I just checked both of my sticks. Both rotate nicely to whatever position your hand is comfortable while holding it. And they cant be pulled off the shaft. Or maybe we have different models. ??
RV 7A RV #9700
N325KS the Flying K
2018 OSH - yes
Old 06-21-2018, 06:07 PM

Default Tosten

I have the same Tosten grips as Bruce. The grip can be rotated to the desired position until the cap screw is tightened and the lock nut secured. Once secured the grip will not rotate.

Al
Old 06-21-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7 To Go View Post
I have the same Tosten grips as Bruce. The grip can be rotated to the desired position until the cap screw is tightened and the lock nut secured. Once secured the grip will not rotate.

Al
Exactly right.

pilotkms, the SHCS does not clamp the bushing, it impinges on the grip tube right at the relief in the tube. It is good machining practice to relieve a shaft or tube like that in order to 'hide' the damage done by the end of a setscrew or bolt. This make is easy to disassemble at a later date. The nut on the SHCS does the clamping of the bushing to the control stick. If your grip is rotating , the SHCS is either too short or not screwed in far enough.

Fair warning. the nut will come loose. It has on me a half dozen times in 700 hrs. I can immediately feel a little wiggle in the bushing at that point but the SHCS is still tight against the grip tube. I have not yet put a nylok on it. But, in your case, loose nut and a few turns of the SHCS and you will have the unwelcome surprise of a grip that is loose in your hand not connected to the stick.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page

Last edited by rzbill : 06-21-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:47 AM

Just took out my copilot stick and disassembled it to see how I had put it together several years ago.
I put the SHCS thru the shaft, into the bushing and then far enough into the grip bottom to fit into the machined channel Midway on the grip bottom, but not tight enough to restrict its rotational movement. With a tightened locknut, still tight. Its been this way thru construction and now with 120 hours flying time. Im comfortable with how it works and will add an inspection step for this on my annual Condition Inspection checklist.
I did check with Bruce and he advised his are fixed, they do not rotate.
Thanx for the awareness.
RV 7A RV #9700
N325KS the Flying K
2018 OSH - yes