VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-19-2018, 11:14 AM

Default Tosten Grip in RV7?

I'd like to put Tosten Grips in my 7 but reading all the post re panel clearance I'd like to see some pics of what you have done to address this problem in a 7. Most of the posts concern RV10, but as you know they have a different stick configuration. Send me a PM with your email and I'll reply to your email if sending pics via email is easier. Thanks. Robert
Old 06-19-2018, 11:56 AM

Default Cut the Stick

I had to cut the sticks down by two (2) inches to get clearance for my Infinity grips in a 9A. Now flying for three years, I wish I had cut it down three. Doing so would permit comfortably resting my forearm on my thigh throughout all flight regimes. Recommend you sit in the cockpit, rest your arm on your thigh while holding the grip next to the stick and mark where the base of the grip meets the stick. Then measure up the necessary amount to provide secure mounting of the grip.
Also, make sure you “ clock” the grip so you grip it naturally during flight. If you align it straight forward your wrist will be bent uncomfortably.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaplerrh View Post
I'd like to put Tosten Grips in my 7 but reading all the post re panel clearance I'd like to see some pics of what you have done to address this problem in a 7. Most of the posts concern RV10, but as you know they have a different stick configuration. Send me a PM with your email and I'll reply to your email if sending pics via email is easier. Thanks. Robert
I too have the Infinity grips and had to cut 2-3 inches off the stick but very happy with the setup. The Infinity grips slide over several inches of the stick where the Tosten (I believe) is mostly attached to the top of the stick with not much stick inside. This would require more stick trimming, which might be where the curved stick in the -10 could be a problem.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 06-19-2018, 12:53 PM

Just take the standard length of the Van's stick tubing and subtract off the length of the new Tosten grip above its mount and that is how much to cut off. You can even go a bit lower. Just make sure you clear the controls with the panel and subpanel for the throttle/mixture/etc. 2-3 inches is not enough to clear the panel.

APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2018 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 06-19-2018, 02:30 PM

I put the Tostens in my 9A, like others I had to cut about 2" off my stick length to clear the panel. I initially put the grip in place on the full-length stick, ran it up into contact with the panel, and measured "about that much" to cut it off.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:25 PM

I installed Tosten military style grips in my RV7A two years ago. Like everyone else I had to cut around two to three inches off my stick. Used a pipe cutter to make the cut. I love these grips!!!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:54 PM

I'm installing the Tosten military, and had to cut about the same amount off. I wouldn't have minded cutting a little more off, however the palm support at the bottom ends up slamming into your leg at full roll deflection (and I have skinny legs). The other thing to watch is conflict with the throttle control at idle, and mixture for the right stick. The head on the military grip is pretty wide, so I had to change the engine control bracket angle slightly. The CS-8 has a different style head, so hopefully this conflict is not such an issue.
Tom.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:52 PM

Default Grips

Be sure and leave room for you thumb on top of the grip.
VAF Dues Paid for 2018
Old 06-19-2018, 08:37 PM

As the previous posters said, cut off the equvalent length of the grip. You may have to cut a bit more after checking throttle clearance. I did.

One thing not mentioned is rotating the grip to fit the left hand in its natural rest position. I did and it 'feels' completely correct while flying. There is little reason to point the grip straight forward.

My passenger stick is the stock vans unit with a rubber grip. PTT on the panel. With no Tosten there, no concern about which way to point it.
YIO-360-M1B, mags, CS, GRT EX and WS H1s & A/P, Navworx
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page
Old 06-19-2018, 09:15 PM

Default TOSTEN CS-8

This model, pictured in Bruce Hill's post above, has a swivel mount. This removes the alignment angle others have mentioned above. It swivels to wherever your hand is comfortable while flying. A nice benefit.
Check out his build site. He also made his co-pilot stick removable with functioning buttons. a VERY NICE feature I copied. Thanx Bruce.
RV 7A RV #9700
N325KS the Flying “K”
Built in SoCal KCCB, now @ KPXE
200+ Hours & 5x cross the USA
2018 OSH - yes