Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2018, 09:09 PM

Default Rudder damage-repair or replace?

Last week, we were on our way from Logan, UT - KLGU to the AOPA Fly-in at KMSO and stopped overnight to visit a friend in Lewiston, ID - KLWS. The plane was parked and tied down with rudder, aileron and elevator locks in place when a big storm came thru overnight in the opposite direction of the usual prevailing wind (from the tail of the plane). The gust lock (a u-shaped wire) was turned into a pretzel and the wire severed at the rudder. The rudder suffered a hole on the left side from being driven against the elevator and a dent on the right from the same problem. The bottom six rivets in the trailing edge were ripped loose leaving the holes on the left larger than those on the right so it can't just be riveted back together. We patched it up enough to get back to KLGU but the question now is whether to repair the damage or just order a new rudder kit and replace the rudder? We didn't build the plane so building a rudder would be a first effort. It is flyable now with Gorilla tape over the hole and temporary bolts to hold the trailing edge together. Reskining seems like more work than building new. Advice??
Old 06-19-2018, 03:41 AM

Default Buy

I had a similar incident and I was able to find an acceptable rudder already built. There are more tail kits than airplanes.

On the other hand, building the rudder is fairly easy if you have the hand tools and would be educational.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:40 AM

The rudder is the easiest, and cheapest, component on the airplane to build. It's also the first component built in the kit for a reason - it's relatively forgiving of mistakes, fairly easy to build, and cheap to replace if you completely hose it up. For a first-time building experience you would be hard-pressed to pick a better component than the rudder.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:46 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Please check carefully for other damage, impact point on the elevators, and rudder hinge mounting points come to mind.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 AM

It is only a month to AirVenture. I'm all for buying a built rudder or building a new one if I can do it by then. I'm at KLGU in Logan Utah and would love to find someone that could give some guidance who lives nearby. I talked to Vans and they said that temporarily patching the dents/holes and putting doublers and new rivets on the trailing edge would probably get me flying but a new rudder would obviously be better. There is no "kit" so I'm making a list of parts from the drawing. Anyone know of a rudder already built that is for sale? Thanks
Old 06-19-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer2017 View Post
Anyone know of a rudder already built that is for sale? Thanks
If you can wait until Airventure, show up with some cash and you can probably fly home with a new rudder. Odds are good someone will have one. And if not, place your parts order with Vans on location before you leave.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:34 PM

I have an assembled rudder I would sell, pm sent.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:22 PM

Default Same damage

I had the same damage to my RV7A rudder in Australia. Even including freight building a new rudder was the easiest and cheapest way to fix it. Not only was the damage to the skin, but the rudder was twisted. I didn't see the damage on a preflight, don't know how I missed that when I did see it, and the plane had a strong yaw. Usually use right rudder for takeoff, but this was insane..... needed full right rudder just to stay straight.

Replaced rudder with a new one, took a weekend to build and a weekend to paint to match. As the original was the first thing I built, and now the new rudder is the last thing built, the build quality is much better. I no longer need a wedge to keep the ball in the centre.

All the advice I got here from the local tech councillors was just rebuild, it'll be quicker and better overall. I have to agree.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:32 PM

And then prevent it from happening again with one of these:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...rs05-11899.php

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
And then prevent it from happening again with one of these:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...rs05-11899.php
or one of these

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...hp?recfer=9811