Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2018, 01:47 PM

Default Do I need to relocate my oil cooler?

Recently bought an RV-6A that flew first in 1995. Now that it is getting hot in Colorado, I'm having trouble with high oil temperatures. We're going through the steps I've seen in other forum posts - checking the baffles for leaks (there are some places to tighten up), checking the oil cooler for flow (expensive to have it cleaned, but we may do that), checking the oil temp sender and gauge and doing a compression test (tomorrow after work). The one thing that seems odd about this aircraft is the position of the oil cooler. It's just inside the left hand intake, mounted horizontally with a piece of 5/8" aluminum angle behind it to help direct some of the airflow through the cooler. Seems that airflow would largely bypass the cooler mounted this way. Has anyone seen this kind of configuration? Do I need to change it to the more traditional firewall mounting with a SCAT hose from the back of the engine baffles?https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fxjxqhw5a..._0225.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pw4xzolppw..._0226.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by boulderick : 06-14-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:28 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

This was a very common location for the oil cooler on early RV’s - I have seen it there on all fo the very early -6’s I have seen. We relocated teh one on Louise’s -6 to the rear of the baffles when we did a new baffle kit, and I think we gained a little cooling. If you are having temperature problems, moving it might get you a little bit of relief.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 06-14-2018, 02:54 PM

Default Same location, no problem with temps in FL

I do not have that angle, on mine. --- I have O360 FI, CS, and have never had temp issue, even at the 95+temp/195%+ humidity ().

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385
Very Happy Contributor
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 06-14-2018, 03:53 PM

Side view pic you can see daylight above the cooler, below the baffle. Air going around your cooler does no good. Make it go through your cooler.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlloyd3 View Post
Side view pic you can see daylight above the cooler, below the baffle. Air going around your cooler does no good. Make it go through your cooler.
And where are the seals on the baffle wall behind the spinner?
Old 06-14-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSIM View Post
I do not have that angle, on mine. --- I have O360 FI, CS, and have never had temp issue, even at the 95+temp/195%+ humidity ().

Ron
I was wondering about that angle and planned on experimenting with taking it off, putting a curved piece there to direct the air flow down, etc and seeing if that has any effect on cooling.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlloyd3 View Post
Thanks. I wasn't looking for air escaping around the cooler. Good catch. I'll seal that up and see if it makes a difference.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
And where are the seals on the baffle wall behind the spinner?
Good question. I'm looking at images for RV engine baffles and most don't have seals behind the spinner. Makes sense to add these as I can imagine air escaping through the dead zone right behind the spinner if there is nothing there to stop it. Seems I may be losing quite a lot of cooling air that better seals will improve.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSIM View Post

Ron
Ron, do you have the 7-row Vans cooler, a larger cooler, or a high efficiency cooler? After I seal up the air leaks the best I can, if I still have heat issues, I'm thinking of replacing the original 7-row model with a high efficiency part.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:49 PM

Default Mine is there too

Mine is in the same location. My engine came out of a Musketeer with the original baffling which I adapted and used in my plane. The inlet ramp on factory planes tends to be much more vertical with the cooler facing the ram air more directly than with the 6A, so I fabricated a simple scoop over the oil cooler to catch more air. I think it works well. An added bonus is that it moves the weight of the cooler forward. John