- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEicher View Post
After a test flight without, I installed the wheel pants (with some slight trimming to fit the wider airfoil gear.) And then flew again last night. Several wheel and 3 point landings all felt just like the stock steel legs. One notable difference (even though I started these flights with full tanks) it felt less heavy flying solo than before. 3 pointers are no problem solo without running out of elevator, now even better. I do have a fixed aluminum prop, IO-360 180 hp and Earth-X battery all helping to lighten the nose more than some other -8s.

Now to get to work on the english wheel and make a real polished aluminum canopy skirt rather than the current facade.
Sexy Beast!

Were you able to use your original intersection fairings with just some modification, or did you start over and make new ones from scratch?
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 515 in 9 years (would have flown more this year if not for fire smoke)
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Dec 2017

Last edited by scsmith : 06-20-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
How are these different from the Grove?
To the eye, they look like a more completely contoured airfoil shape. I seem to recall the Grove ones had a leading edge area, a trailing edge area, and a flat intermediate area? I could be wrong, just how I remember.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 515 in 9 years (would have flown more this year if not for fire smoke)
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 06-20-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
How are these different from the Grove?
Hi Michael,
Very much the same as Grove, just in current production and from the same shop that makes Van’s stock steel gear. But I too don’t have a grove gear to compare the airfoil.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
Sexy Beast!

Were you able to use your original intersection fairings with just some modification, or did you start over and make new ones from scratch?
Lower intersection will need a slight change in airfoil shape, thinner and slightly longer than the fiberglass leg fairing. The upper intersection is currently cut to fit and chrome duct taped. I will remake this fairing. If you are doing these legs in an original build, no extra work. As you know, Vanís stock lower fairing is thin and flexible to fit, then you add a couple cloth layers to make a ridged fit. The upper is made from scratch per factory instructions anyway.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
Is the installation included with the purchase?
No, sorry. Ken (and Klaus) did mine as a first production run and instruction photo opportunity.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:04 PM

Thanks Bruce. Great write up and picks.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:01 PM

These are a true airfoil. Not a round leading edge with a straight taper on the back. It was all done with 3D milling. It even has a bit of pressure relief on them!! I have a short video showing part of it, but dont know how to upload it.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@Langair View Post
These are a true airfoil. Not a round leading edge with a straight taper on the back. It was all done with 3D milling. It even has a bit of pressure relief on them!! I have a short video showing part of it, but don't know how to upload it.
Hi Richard,
The video would be interesting. If you can post it on Youtube then copy the link to the VAF post. Thanks again for the work on the legs!

And, chatting with Ken and Steve about the airfoil; Ken chose for the Sky Designs legs (given that aluminum airfoil legs are all about sexiness) a slightly modified NACA 66(4)XXX section...he always thought that section had a nice pretty shape :-)

And Ken said, "Given the low reynolds number, there can't be much of a drag reduction benefit to using such a section but it certainly won't be producing more drag than the stock fairing! It would be fun to dribble some oil on the aluminum legs and see if there aren't any clues as to whether there is any separation aft of the max thickness point. FWIW: The thickness at the top of the leg is 21% and at the bottom it is 19%."

Here is a pic of the bottom of the leg, showing the thinner shape compared to the old transition fairing that fit the stock gear leg fairing. A gain of 10 kts don't you think?
You can also see the slight mounting hole correction needed to fit the fairing on the slightly wider leg.
I will be forming new transition fairings, from Van's for the lowers and from scratch for the uppers when the flying season slows down. For now this gap will have to be overlooked.
Cheers!

Old 06-21-2018, 04:43 PM

I wish you guys in the states would stop tormenting me! Now I will have to try to come up with $3900 AUD
Old 06-21-2018, 06:02 PM

Its about 30% less if you polish it yourself!!!

https://youtu.be/H077CoYKMVc

Here is a really poor quality video. I have never done youtube, so I asked a friend after I texted the video. I think something went wrong in the transition... I will try again and update if it works better.