- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryL View Post
When will the GDL50R start shipping? I've had one on order through Garmin Europe since the product was announced.
Hello Harry,

We have been shipping since early March. I just checked our inventory, and we have plenty.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Default GDL 5X Series & ForeFlight (v10.2)

I am happy to report that the GDL 50 (and probably the others in the GDL 5X series) now works with the latest version of ForeFlight (v10.2). ADS-B weather & traffic, backup attitude, and GPS data from the GDL 50 are now available in ForeFlight. I've been waiting for Garmin and ForeFlight to add this capability, since the GDL 39 series works with ForeFlight.

I downloaded the new version of ForeFlight yesterday and didn't think much about it. During my flight today I was surprised to hear the audio "Traffic" warning from ForeFlight via the iPad mini 4. Checked ForeFlight and all the features from the GDL 50 were there.

BTW, some of the new features added in ForeFlight (v10.2), such as "Traffic & Glance Mode in Synthetic Vision", work quite well.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 07-11-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
I am happy to report that the GDL 50 (and probably the others in the GDL 5X series) now works with the latest version of ForeFlight (v10.2). ADS-B weather & traffic, backup attitude, and GPS data from the GDL 50 are now available in ForeFlight. I've been waiting for Garmin and ForeFlight to add this capability, since the GDL 39 series works with ForeFlight.

I downloaded the new version of ForeFlight yesterday and didn't think much about it. During my flight today I was surprised to hear the audio "Traffic" warning from ForeFlight via the iPad mini 4. Checked ForeFlight and all the features from the GDL 50 were there.

BTW, some of the new features added in ForeFlight (v10.2), such as "Traffic & Glance Mode in Synthetic Vision", work quite well.
This is great news! I can’t wait to see it for myself. Thanks RV8JD
Old 07-13-2018, 03:58 PM

I too am glad to see that! I checked it a little today and it seemed to work but I got a lot of ADSB has disconnected alerts. Anybody know what is going on there?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by c210pa18 View Post
I too am glad to see that! I checked it a little today and it seemed to work but I got a lot of ADSB has disconnected alerts. Anybody know what is going on there?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "ADSB has disconnected alerts". I've used the GDL 50 (v2.11) feeding ForeFlight (v10.2) for several flights since my post on July 11th, and ADS-B weather & traffic and backup attitude seems to work with no apparent problems.

I have found that at the beginning of every flight I have to enable "Traffic" in the drop down settings menu of ForeFlight. It doesn't seem to stay enabled between flights.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
(Pic)

Last edited by RV8JD : 07-13-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:36 PM

When it disconnects you get both a visual and an audio "ADSB has disconnected" message. I have not figured out why it disconnects.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c210pa18 View Post
When it disconnects you get both a visual and an audio "ADSB has disconnected" message. I have not figured out why it disconnects.
Thanks for the explanation. I haven't seen that. I found this in the ForeFlight Mobile Pilot's Guide.

"Device Disconnect

The Device Disconnect alert is triggered if the Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connection to a portable or panel-mounted device that ForeFlight supports is lost. This allows you to take appropriate action to restore the connection, to switch to a backup device (if available), or to continue the flight knowing that the previously connected device is no longer available. The alert is only triggered if your groundspeed is above 40 knots or if your device does not have a GPS fix."

Good luck in sorting out the flaky Bluetooth connection.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
(Pic)

Last edited by RV8JD : 07-14-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:25 PM

Today I tried shutting down all apps except FF. I did not disconnect even once. It appears to be an iOS problem. It has done it with both WiFi and BlueTooth connections in the past. When it does it disconnects a lot it seems
Old 07-15-2018, 08:59 AM

Default GDL-50/50R support for ForeFlight

Does Garmin officially support ForeFlight with the GDL-50 series or is this an "off label" unsupported use. I was considering the GDL-50 to interface with my AERA-660 but I don't want to be tied to Garmin Pilot as, after trying both, I still prefer ForeFlight.
RV-8 N814DC (flying)
Flying an A320 to pay the bills
Exempt and gladly donating anyway - Current through Jan 2019
Old 07-15-2018, 03:26 PM

Yes, well it is the other way around I guess. FF fully supports the GDL 50 series now with the most recent update FF 10.2.