- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > ADS-B
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2018, 07:36 AM

Post New (March 2018) Garmin GDL 50/50R ADS-B Receivers

We are pleased to announce the Garmin GDL 50 portable and GDL 50R remote mount ADS-B receivers that are capable of receiving Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) traffic and weather. Both units also provide built-in attitude sensors and a GPS receiver. The GDL 50 includes a built-in rechargeable battery which provides battery operation for up to 8 hours. While battery and "3D" attitude was optional on the GDL 39, these features are standard on the GDL 50.

Exclusive traffic features such as TargetTrend™ and TerminalTraffic™ further enhance the ADS-B traffic picture and are unique to Garmin products.

Wireless and hardwired compatibility is provided for G3X™ Touch, the aera® 660 and aera 795/796 aviation portables, as well as wireless connectivity with the Garmin Pilot app, giving customers access to a full-featured suite of weather products, ADS-B traffic and more using a single device.

Each of these receivers supports 2 wired (RS-232) display connections and 2 wireless (Bluetooth) display connections for a total of 4 display devices.

One of our most popular G3X Touch installations is one with dual displays, and with the GDL 50R/51R/52R we can now hardwire the RS-232 interfaces to both displays, and leave the 2 wireless interfaces available for portable units.

If you already have a GDL 39 interface mount/cable for your Aera 660/795/796, you can plug it directly into the GDL 50/51/52 since these units use the same connector/wiring as the GDL 39 for power and data.

The GDL 50/50R are the latest additions to the GDL 50/51/52 line of ADS-B and SXM traffic/weather/music receivers.

GDL 50/50R with ADS-B Traffic/Weather, attitude, and GPS (Availalble now for $849)

Previously announced and available GDL 52/52R with ADS-B Traffic/Weather, SXM weather/music, attitude, and GPS ($1,199)

Note that the GDL 52 also qualifies for a $200 SXM rebate. Contact SXM for details.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 03-01-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:21 AM

Default Compare

Hey Steve,
I already own a GDL 39 3D that I have connected to my 796 and Ipad. I do not have a G3X display. I am not interested in the satellite weather or music, so is there any benefit with the GDL 50 over the GDL 39 3D?
Old 03-02-2018, 06:04 AM

Hi Steve
Will the GDL50R display 1090 ADS-B traffic from targets that are emitting SIL=0 GPS data?

Thanks

Harry
Wings and Fuselage finished.
Avionics and wiring finished
Canopy and cowlings in progress.
http://harrysrv.blogspot.co.uk
Old 03-02-2018, 06:19 AM

Is this a fair understanding of the GDL 5X units?

GDL 50 - ADS-B dual band in TIS-B & FIS-B receiver with attitude and battery
GDL 51 - SXM music and SXM weather receiver with attitude and battery
GDL 52 - Basically all the features of the 50 and 51 receivers all in rolled up into one

Or by Garmin model number math, 50+51=52

All the new GDL 5X models have an automatic battery power down mode when the unit senses the aircraft is parked on the ground for a certain amount of time.

So if one already has a GDL 39 3D with backup battery option the only real difference between that and the GDL 50 is the automatic backup battery shutdown feature of the 50 (39 requires manually turning off battery power directly or with discrete panel switch). May not be worth upgrade cost. Or is there more?

I swapped out a GDL 39 3D with optional battery for a GDL 52 in January. I changed out the mounting bases and plugged in the original GDL hardwire cable. Since the unit is hidden without a view of the sky I had to add a GA 24mcx SXM remote antenna and re-used the existing ADS-B in and gps remote antennas from the 39 installation. Very easy. Got 3 free months of SXM and a $200 rebate card by mail.

Jim
Old 03-02-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooch View Post
Hey Steve,
I already own a GDL 39 3D that I have connected to my 796 and Ipad. I do not have a G3X display. I am not interested in the satellite weather or music, so is there any benefit with the GDL 50 over the GDL 39 3D?
Hello Tooch,

If you don't need a second serial port for a display, and are pleased with the form factor, battery life, status indications, etc of the GDL 39 3D, we don't see any reason for you to change to a GDL 50.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryL View Post
Hi Steve
Will the GDL50R display 1090 ADS-B traffic from targets that are emitting SIL=0 GPS data?

Thanks

Harry
Hello Harry,

Yes, this is one of the reasons to buy/use our non-certified ADS-B receivers.

The TSO'd units are required to discard non-compliant traffic targets, but the GDL 39/39R and GDL 50/50R/51/51R/52/52R do not filter out these targets.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-02-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
Is this a fair understanding of the GDL 5X units?

GDL 50 - ADS-B dual band in TIS-B & FIS-B receiver with attitude and battery
GDL 51 - SXM music and SXM weather receiver with attitude and battery
GDL 52 - Basically all the features of the 50 and 51 receivers all in rolled up into one

Or by Garmin model number math, 50+51=52

All the new GDL 5X models have an automatic battery power down mode when the unit senses the aircraft is parked on the ground for a certain amount of time.

So if one already has a GDL 39 3D with backup battery option the only real difference between that and the GDL 50 is the automatic backup battery shutdown feature of the 50 (39 requires manually turning off battery power directly or with discrete panel switch). May not be worth upgrade cost. Or is there more?

I swapped out a GDL 39 3D with optional battery for a GDL 52 in January. I changed out the mounting bases and plugged in the original GDL hardwire cable. Since the unit is hidden without a view of the sky I had to add a GA 24mcx SXM remote antenna and re-used the existing ADS-B in and gps remote antennas from the 39 installation. Very easy. Got 3 free months of SXM and a $200 rebate card by mail.

Jim
Hello Jim,

Yes, your description of the 3 models sounds right.

Agree that one of the benefits of the GDL 50 over the GDL 39 3D w/battery is the improved power management provided by the GDL 50. It is much smarter about using the internal battery and handling the automatic power-down. As you probably know, if external power is removed from the GDL 50 and a display device is still using the GDL 50, it will continue to operate. If the display device powers down and stops communicating, the GDL 50 will then power down.

In a typical installation with one or two Garmin portable display devices connected to the GDL 50 with everything connected to aircraft power, everything comes alive when aircraft power is provided, and everything automatically powers off at the end of the flight when power is removed and the displays stop communicating to the GDL 50.

If you find value in portable AHRS units, you might also have noticed that the attitude solution provided by the the GDL 5X series units is noticeably better than what you have seen before. The GDL 5X units also remember the pitch/roll offsets established in level flight through power cycles, which is something the GDL 39 3D does not do. This is particularly appreciated by those flying tail draggers where the attitude solution is far from normal in-flight attitude at power-up.

Processor performance, attitude and pressure sensors, attitude algorithms - pretty much everything is better and improved from the GDL 39 developed 6 years earlier. In summary, we applied a lot of lessons learned since we began GDL 39 shipments at Oshkosh 2012.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-02-2018, 10:35 AM

Steve, I'd like to have the attitude feature on foreflight (I "assume" that would work) but my current GDL39 install is upside down with connectors forward, would the GDL50 work mounted like this? According to the manual the answer is no but thought I ask anyway

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1700+ hrs
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 03-02-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Steve, I'd like to have the attitude feature on foreflight (I "assume" that would work) but my current GDL39 install is upside down with connectors forward, would the GDL50 work mounted like this? According to the manual the answer is no but thought I ask anyway
Hello Walt,

If you wish to use the attitude feature, it is probably best to not mount it upside down. I just took a GDL 52, turned it upside down and did a "gyro cage" command on the Aera 660, and the attitude picture flipped upright and behaved normally, but since we don't test for installation/operation upside down, we don't recommend you try.

For now, our understanding is that there is no Foreflight support for any of the GDL 50/51/52 series of units, so if you use that program, you would want to stick with the GDL 39.

The Aera 660/795/796 and GDU 4XX displays will work with all the GDL 39 and GDL 50/51/52 units. The serial protocol for the GDL 39/39R is "Garmin Data Transfer", and the serial protocol for the newer GDL 5X/5XR units is "Connext 57600 Baud".

Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-04-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
The Aera 660/795/796 and GDU 4XX displays will work with all the GDL 39 and GDL 50/51/52 units.
Are the plugs and wire pinouts the same as the 39 series, or different? If I have wires already run and tucked away between ship's power, GDL-39 3D and my 795, can I just remove the 39 and put the 50 or 50R in its place?

Also, I have noticed my GDL 39 3D via bluetooth connection tends to briefly drop and reconnect from all bluetooth connected devices. I've switched the bluetooth modes on the unit, didn't seem to help either. Common problem?

Building RV-8A since September 2014 (N88VX reserved)
VAF build thread - Flickr project photo album - Project Facebook page
Flying a spam can, RV-12 and a few other RVs here and there
TeenFlight program mentor
Exempt, but paid anyhow
Hillsboro, Oregon (EAA 105)

Note: Opinions, information and comments posted by me on this site do not represent direction from or opinions of my employer.