VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-12-2017, 06:30 AM

Default mufflers on rv

RV 8 with 0320 vetterman exhaust and catto prop seems very noisey in cockpit. has anybody installed mufflers on rv after flying with straight exhaust and what results. I use noise cancellation headsets that do help.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 AM

Vetterman offers mufflers for some exhausts. I am running the Trombone exhaust with straight pipes and Bose A20s. Noise is not bad at all but I have FlightLine interior's padding and carpet on the floor, which helps.
PlanePower Alt, FlightLines Interior, James cowl & plenum
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Old 09-12-2017, 11:53 AM

I went with the mufflers for my IO-320. It is still loud, so if I were to do it over, I would skip them. Less weight. Easier installation. More space against the lower cowl. Less scat tubing. Less heat under the cowl (the mufflers need cooling air).

Best solution for noise is a good active headset.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2018 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 09-12-2017, 11:58 AM

I've heard that cutting the exhaust tips at a 45 to the discharge path will let the sound resonate away from the fuselage, thereby reducing cockpit noise. I have not done this so I can't comment on how effective it really is.

Don
Old 09-12-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtw_rv6 View Post
I've heard that cutting the exhaust tips at a 45 to the discharge path will let the sound resonate away from the fuselage, thereby reducing cockpit noise. I have not done this so I can't comment on how effective it really is.

Don
A downturn really helps. I built a 4-1 for an airplane which originally had a muffler right at the collector - it was still loud. Ultimately the muffler was replaced with a slash cut downturned tip and that was more effective at cockpit sound reduction (and a LOT lighter).

WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson

Last edited by Toobuilder : 09-12-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
I went with the mufflers for my IO-320. It is still loud, so if I were to do it over, I would skip them. Less weight. Easier installation. More space against the lower cowl. Less scat tubing. Less heat under the cowl (the mufflers need cooling air).

Best solution for noise is a good active headset.
Same here, agree with this. Might actually try a set of Vetterman crossovers without mufflers. Although I do like the cabin heat up here in the tundra, coming off the mufflers. Can fly in a T-shirt down in the 20's.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Catto 3B
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - Sold
1956 C-182 - Sold
Old 09-12-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
A downturn really helps. I built a 4-1 for an airplane which originally had a muffler right at the collector - it was still loud. Ultimately the muffler was replaced with a slash cut downturned tip and that was more effective at cockpit sound reduction (and a LOT lighter).

I purchased my exhaust from Vetterman and asked to purchase the "optional turn downs" and was told they would fabricate the exhaust for me with them already built in. I said ok and asked how much extra? Was told they would include them in the price quoted.

Yes the 22-1/2 degree turn downs makes a big difference in the amount of vibration one feels on the floor and the noise in the cockpit.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbro172 View Post
Although I do like the cabin heat up here in the tundra, coming off the mufflers. Can fly in a T-shirt down in the 20's.
Definitely appreciate this about my Vetterman mufflers. In the winter, anyways. Perhaps it's time to call Vetterman and get a set of lower pipes without mufflers to swap to during summer when the cabin heat isn't needed. Then it would be possible to block off the hole in the baffles that otherwise wastes potential cylinder cooling air.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 PM

Default Can the standard pipes be cut?

Can the standard Vetterman pipes be cut at an angle close to parallel to the fuse floor to come close to the turn down effect? I'd rather not add weight or parts. Does anyone have experience with this?
2011-2018 VAF contributor
Dog is my copilot, rest in peace 2015APR28. I miss that dog.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:03 PM

Default Mufflers

I wish they would quit calling our heat exchangers mufflers. They do nothing to (muffle) the exhaust noise.

Eddy
http://www.hattonflyingcircus.com
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.