VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-11-2018, 03:14 PM

I'm still waiting for a widened PA-14 with the RV-9 wing and powered with an affordable four cylinder engine.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 08-04-2018, 04:10 PM

The Sling 4 sort of competes with the RV10. But Sling 4 is smaller and slower, but also quicker/easier to build and cheaper to fly. But near as I can tell, both end up being $200k airplanes or thereabouts. At $200k, why just just build a 10?

Seems to me there's room in Vans roster for a blind rivet Rotax powered 4 seater if you can keep the realistic build cost under $110k or so. Obviously it won't be nearly as roomy or fast as the 10. But I bet you could do something with the 914 or 915 motor that's an inch or two wider than the Sling and can deliver realistic 140kt cruise with half decent load capability.

Think of the mission of the 9 with the design/build aspects of the 12. And make it 4 seats for all those that are sure they need 4 seats even though they will fly solo or with one other person 99% of the time.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:37 PM

Iíd start that one tomorrow, Joe.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:14 PM

Default Next RV

What would the repeat offenders line up for?

1. Something that would cruise faster then the Rocket! Much faster!
2. 6 place with a side door like a Cherokee 6
3. A plane that will land on water and land.
4. Turbine (Bring the flutter limit much higher)
5. Work through the laws to get the RV-12 (or something similar) to become most common commercial trainer.

Larry

RapidsetBuildings.com (Hangars)
Advertiser
RV-14 tail, QB Fuselage, Finish kit, QB wings ordered
Grateful to pay dues 18'

Old 08-04-2018, 05:50 PM

Default A bush plane

I would like to see a home built version of the Cessna 175.
Square tail
56 gallons of gas
Tailwheel.
0-320. To IO-390. For power

Cessna fixed the 170-,,, but,,,,, it is a 180. Not the best engine
A home built version 175 could have 1 or 2 front seats, 0 or 2 back seats.
A baggage door and all the things you get with a 180 just a little smaller.
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 08-04-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypratt View Post
I would like to see a home built version of the Cessna 175.
Square tail
56 gallons of gas
Tailwheel.
0-320. To IO-390. For power

Cessna fixed the 170-,,, but,,,,, it is a 180. Not the best engine
A home built version 175 could have 1 or 2 front seats, 0 or 2 back seats.
A baggage door and all the things you get with a 180 just a little smaller.

You ALMOST described the Rans S21 perfectly.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10Man View Post
You ALMOST described the Rans S21 perfectly.
That was one of the new planes that really caught my eye this year. I really liked the construction and look. The specs looked great.
I need a backcountry plane to go with the -10 and there are just way too many great options out there.

I have already voted for Van to work on the six place, not pressurized, maybe some new diesel turbo powered or turbine homebuilt. I think a good six place priced around 250k to 350k that could land at Johnsons Creek would sell like 1/2 price Oshkosh tickets.

RV-10 N104XP (1380 Hours)
RV-12 N321UT (Sold)
Old 08-04-2018, 10:33 PM

Van's has pretty much covered the spectrum of gasoline-powered kit planes, except for high-wing bush planes and that market is saturated and fairly small. I think Van likes to push the envelope a bit.

I'm guessing it'll be a jet-powered 2-seater...
RV-14A #140158 flying

Last edited by Jake14 : 08-04-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:12 AM
Your host.

Thumbs up RV-Bush Plane gets my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypratt View Post
I would like to see a home built version of the Cessna 175. Square tail. 56 gallons of gas. Tailwheel. 0-320. To IO-390. For power Cessna fixed the 170-,,, but,,,,, it is a 180. Not the best engine. A home built version 175 could have 1 or 2 front seats, 0 or 2 back seats. A baggage door and all the things you get with a 180 just a little smaller.
RV-Super Cub.

Please.

Modern day plans and a devoted, passionate user base. The perfect compliment to your existing RV. Total FLIGHT ENVELOPE Performance! I would order the tail kit the day after it’s announced and broaden the scope of VAF to include RV backcountry flying in a nanosecond. Something the thousands of us RV pilots down south from Arizona straight over to Florida can stick our hands and feet out into the air while flying.

Why? Because for all those days folks in the NW complain about rain, those of us in the south deal with this:

Those four days each year Portland reaches 100*F? Go sit in your RV on the ramp at that temp and close the canopy. Then imagine what three months feels like. Still want to go fly? ;^)

RV-8(ish) front and back, PA-18(ish) in the middle. Windows/doors optional. Make the fuse out of tubing like a Super Cub and offer it as a finished part like we already get with the current motor mounts. Garmin G5 or equivalent and an oil pressure gauge for a panel - this model isn't about avionics. It's a Jeep.

I would quite simply love to land at 15mph in the pic below in an RV, get out and fish for half an hour, take a picture, then feature it on the front page of VAF ;^). There are dozens of spots just like this a ten minute flight from my field, and my RV-6 just shakes its head no.

Click here and see for yourself: https://goo.gl/maps/d37ptBXMRyj

That Rans S21 looks pretty sweet.

RV-Super Cub? You had me at hello...

One could argue there is too much competition, but I would counter that statement with the real belief Van’s would have one of the, if not THE, largest slice of the backcountry pilot market shockingly fast. Almost every RV pilot I talk to here in the hot south wants something 1) open door and 2) bush plane to compliment their existing RV. Maybe my area of the country is a statistical RV anomaly, but I have to believe it's not.

I’ll own a true backcountry plane with big tires someday….I'm saving for it now (wanna buy a 1967 Triumph Bonneville?). I’m pulling for it to be an RV so I can champion its existence here. That’s my hope and best case scenario. Over the last (46) years or so, our favorite airplane company offered us (14) versions of aircraft with a closed canopy and smooth surface gear (3,4,6,6A,7,7A,8,8A,9,9A,10,12,14,14A). This fanboy would certainly appreciate an offering that allows more air in...and real off road utility.

An RV-Jeep if you will...

How many first time RV builders would choose this as their first build, given the factory’s stellar history, amazingly detailed plans and customer satisfaction record?

Hundreds? Thousands? After all, at the end of the day it's about sales out the door being needed to keep the lights on.

Is the average pilot growing in girth at a rate to warrant another ‘wider RV-7’? (The RV-14 to me is an RV-7 XL. Is there enough demand for a RV-7 XXL?). I don't know. That demographic, the *really* big pilot who can keep a medical, seems to me to be a dwindling pool to choose from if the objective is sales out the door. Don’t get me wrong, big vehicles are very popular here where I live. People drive trucks here so big they don’t fit in the garage. They sell ‘em by the boatload, and an airplane equivalent would probably have its audience. But having said that, about every fifth vehicle that you pass around my neck of the woods is a Jeep. Myself included.

So if it’s about kits being sold (which of course it has to be), I’d respectfully ask for an RV bush plane….specifically an RV-Super Cub. It is an untapped RV market with potentially thousands of customers craving that most valuable, dare say incalculable, of known quantities: the RV build experience and networking community.

That sense of community, that the-company-is-behind-you safety net that swings people on the fence over to this company when you're in uncharted waters (contemplating building your first airplane).

I think it would be a hit (Piper built 10,222 of them after all). I would absolutely commit to building an RV version.

In a heartbeat.

Respectfully,

A future RV backcountry pilot (hopefully).

http://aprs.fi/?call=N617AR
http://www.airprs.com/#/tab/logbook/call/N617AR

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 08-05-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRomeo View Post
[indent]RV-Super Cub. Modern day plans and a devoted, passionate user base. The perfect compliment to your existing RV. Total ENVELOPE Performance! I would order the tail kit the day after itís announced and broaden the scope of VAF to include RV backcountry flying in a nanosecond. Something the thousands of us RV pilots down in the south can stick our hands and feet out into the air while flying

RV-8(ish) front and back, PA-18(ish) in the middle. Make the fuse out of tubing like a Super Cub and offer it as a finished part like we already get with the current motor mounts.

Bush plane? Iím all in the first hour itís offered (if the doors open).

One could argue there is too much competition, but I would counter that with the real belief Vanís would have one of the, if not THE, largest slice of the backcountry pilot market pretty fast. Almost every RV pilot I talk to here in the hot south wants something 1) open door and 2) bush plane to compliment their existing RV. Maybe my area of the country is a statistical RV anomaly, but I have to believe weíre not.

Iíll own a true backcountry plane with big tires somedayÖ.and Iím pulling for it to be an RV. Thatís my hope.
]

You mean like this:

This is in my hangar right now. You can have it (less engine and prop) for $2500 today. Come get it.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson