- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-22-2016, 08:28 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n38139 View Post
Any reason an RV3 can't be flown in an LSA category? I know they have carbon cubs with 180 engines that are LSA.

The answer to your question is yes - becasue of the stall speed. Of course, you can lengthen the wing, but that will take some design work and compromise other parts of the design. Limiting speed will make it far less of an all-around fun machine.

IMHO, there are better choices for a single seat LSA, ones that were designed for that purpose. The Panther LSA has been mentioned - nice airplane, designed to fit the specs. I flew the One-X last week, another good choice. The Merlin is a different animal (high wing, more STOL-ish), but lots of fun. And there are others I have flown (Hummel H-5, BD-17L....) that were designed to fit the category. Many are far easier to build than a -3.

If you are trying to use a currently flying -3 as an LSA, that's probably a non-starter due to the regs. If you are looking to build a single seat LSA from the start - I'd look at some of the other designs....

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 11-22-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Come on, guys; look at the Carbon Cub LSA & experimental versions. Do you really believe that the exp version won't go faster than 138 at full throttle with a 180 HP engine? It's the same plane as the LSA version.

Charlie
Yes. The Xcub, their newest and redesigned to be fastest, doesn't exceed it by much. They are very draggy airplanes.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:43 AM

Default LSA Parameters Origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
The LSA limitations have nothing to do with HP but everything thing to do with gross weight, stall speed, speed at sea level with max continuous power, and more.

You will have to work hard to slow an RV-3 down. Limiting max continuous power is one way and may be a questionable solution.

The rumor from FAA employees when the LSA rules were drafted was that the guys coming up w/the numbers had Ercoupe's, so the performance of that a/c became the poster child for LSA max performance.

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A Mazda 13B/FWF
Old 11-22-2016, 11:52 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlomheim View Post
The rumor from FAA employees when the LSA rules were drafted was that the guys coming up w/the numbers had Ercoupe's, so the performance of that a/c became the poster child for LSA max performance.

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A Mazda 13B/FWF
Actually, the LSA parameters came by copying the specs for a similar category in Europe - the funny English units convert to nice round metric numbers for weight, for instance. I can never keep the various European categories straight, but that's where they came from - because there were lots of those airplanes in production at the time..
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 PM

OP: Why would you want to?
Fredericksburg, TX
Old 11-22-2016, 08:48 PM

Default LSA 3B

For the last 10 years I have been building a 3B LSA. C85, cruise/climb prop, no wheel pants and LIGHT. I worked with the late Marty Hollman to get the function and he gave me a function to work with. Using above parameters it fits the rule. The mods have added years. Also the custom slider I built was difficult. I have loved the challenge. Getting close

Bob Grigsby
J3 Cub flying
Dues plus paid
Old 11-22-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV3Bob View Post
For the last 10 years I have been building a 3B LSA. C85, cruise/climb prop, no wheel pants and LIGHT. I worked with the late Marty Hollman to get the function and he gave me a function to work with. Using above parameters it fits the rule. The mods have added years. Also the custom slider I built was difficult. I have loved the challenge. Getting close.
So how are you going to meet the stall speed requirement?
VAF #897
2017 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 11-23-2016, 07:34 PM

Default Stall speed

I met the LSA requirement by building wingtips patterned from a Wittman W-10 Tailwind. They are 29" in length and are amazingly effective. The stall break is sharp but straight ahead. So far I have 10+ hours of testing so far.

Bill Newkirk
Old 11-23-2016, 09:42 PM

To meet stall speed I am building light.

Bob Grigsby
Old 11-25-2016, 05:36 AM

Question N38139

If you have to build it as an LSA as someone said then how do Ercoupes, Champs, and Cubs, all certified airplanes meet the requirements? I get the speed, weight issues.