Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2015, 02:15 PM

Default RV-12 fuel tank how much tank sealant required?

About to begin assembling the RV-12s fuel tank. It is one of the newer tanks without the site gauge on the side and has the holes for Moeller fuel gauge and the new fuel tank venting method. Originally, I was considering ordering a handful of the MC-240-B1/2 1 oz kits of fuel tank sealant from the Vans site figuring it could be used on the fuel tank and the remaining kits used on some of the other locations on the RV-12 which require sealant. However, just discovered the one ounce kits only have a 30 minute work time, which surely is not enough time to assemble the whole fuel tank.

I see there is the MC-236-B1/2 Tank sealant in a 3.5 ounce size with a 2 hour pot life and was wondering if anybody has used it to assemble their RV-12 tank? If so, is 3.5 ounces enough material to get the job done and can it be completed within the 2 hour limit?

I dont have a gram scale so do not want to purchase a quart which requires weighing out the material and catalyst.

Comments appreciated ...happy building,
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2019
Old 09-22-2015, 02:28 PM

I used the quart kit. I didn't have a gram scale either but got one from Harbor Freight pretty inexpensively. Ended up using the gram scale for other stuff anyway (fibergass mixing, etc.).
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project
SPA Panther N26TK in progress
Old 09-22-2015, 03:39 PM

Default My experience (s)

The 3 1/2 oz are very good. You will be better off not trying to do it all at one time. Buy 3 of them. 2 for the tank, and one for misc firewall sealant etc. Have used the small ones. Set up too fast for a bigger job. Great for taking front plate off etc. Hope this helps. Others may feel much different. I have done about 4 - 5 tanks ( mine and others ).
Flying RV-12 - Serial #120036
Paid in May ( 5-4-18 )
Old 09-22-2015, 04:05 PM

The MC-236-B1/2 (if it is really B1/2) is also a 30 minute work time (the 1/2 means half of an hour).
Sealant labeled B2 is 2 hour work time. I will look into this, the B1/2 might be a typo.
Follow-up - If you order the MC-236-B1/2 you will get a a 2 hr cure sealant. The product was changed at some time in the past, and for reasons I will probably never understand, the part # was left as is from the original. If you order based on the product description, you will get what you want.

A tube of B1/2 sealant might be a challenge for a beginner to avoid having it start to harden up. The last thing you want is to rush for the sake of the sealant and end up with a leak.

As mentioned already, you by small scales real cheap that are more than accurate enough.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 09-22-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-22-2015, 06:55 PM

Get the quart size and a cheap HF scale. This is really not a big/expensive/complex deal. It's nice not having worry about having sufficient sealant to complete the various sealing jobs. Besides, you will find many useful purposes around the house and shop for the leftover sealant!
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 700+ hours (as of Nov 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:35 PM

I do not think that fuel tank sealant should be used to seal the firewall. I set on fire some cured sealant with a propane torch. After taking the flame away, the sealant continued to burn. The smoke is not something that you would want in the cockpit. Is there something better to seal the firewall with?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:59 PM

Smile fuel tank sealant

FYI its easer to work on the fuel tank in several steps and time also the sealant is used on the wing tips.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich48041 View Post
I do not think that fuel tank sealant should be used to seal the firewall. I set on fire some cured sealant with a propane torch. After taking the flame away, the sealant continued to burn. The smoke is not something that you would want in the cockpit. Is there something better to seal the firewall with?
I suggest that a read of the excellent posts here is a good starting point for selecting a firewall sealant:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...778#post549778
Old 09-22-2015, 10:11 PM

John,
Add my vote for the Quart Kit and a cheap digital mail scale that measures in ounces and grams. You'll use the proseal in a number of places, it is good for a loooong time if you store it cool, AND it's real handy for other things e.g. shoe repair (just sayin'). And it's so sticky and strong you can impress your friends by suspending an elephant that is glued to a chain with an single drop of the stuff! Kidding! I'm Kidding! Pretty sure it's never been tried. Hmmm...well we are experimenters...
No paint yet. Working on a scheme with John Deere colors or accents.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:38 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input guys . guess an inexpensive gram scale is on the horizon.

I was just trying to avoid purchasing a gram scale because pre-measured is seemingly easier. Plus, I can just hear it now Did you hear about that guy with the pony tail down at hangar 45? Airport security found him with a gram scale and two large bags of white powder. Honest officer, its only micro balloons and flox.
Now Flying!!

Dues paid until September 2019