- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2015, 04:35 PM

Default Canopy Protective Film

My progress is slow, and the canopy still has its plastic sheeting covering from Vans. As time wears on, I wonder - has anyone encountered a problem with getting the stuff off the canopy or having damage after a long storage? I would just as soon leave it on yet to avoid scratches etc.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:56 PM

I left mine on and had no problems removing it later.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:32 PM

I left the plastic wrap on my RV-9A canopy until I was ready to do final assembly. The wrap on the canopy was much harder to peel off than the blue plastic on the aluminum, but it came off clean. It just likes to tear more as you peel it off.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2018 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 03-02-2015, 09:48 PM

Don,
I got some of the paint on stuff from ACS, but haven't used it yet. Im not sure how good it is, but it looked interesting and I thought I would give it a try. Now all I have to do is get around and paint it on! So what this post does is tell you nothing! Sorry! Ha!
O-320 D2A
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 03-03-2015, 10:41 AM

Default Notes on the latex liquid mask.

My experience with the latex liquid mask....

whether you are rolling, spraying or brushing on, definitely be sure to get adequate build-up. The liquid loses a lot of film thickness as it dries, and you end up with a paper thin glue that can be impossible to remove. ( this has happened to me on acrylic sign faces numerous times).
a paper thin coat is bad, add coats until you have a decent film, perhaps the thickness of card stock. When you go to remove, it is strong enough that it will peel in big sheets.
Caution: the film dries out over time, and becomes brittle. If it is too dry to peel, adding another coat often rejuvenates the layers beneath.
This stuff also tends to collect dirt and dust, the static charge of the plexi, plus the tackiness of the mask are a bad combination. Be sure to blow off before handling, little specks of grit and metal shavings love to embed in the mask, and if wiped, create the scratches you are trying so hard to avoid!
Try not to wipe the canopy unless you are actually going flying!
Lake Country, BC

....paid up til Nov. 2018
Old 03-03-2015, 11:56 AM

While we are on that subject, what have owners found to be the best to clean and polish the canopy?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:54 PM

Pledge (personally prefer lemon scent)
RV-12, N913BC
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 03-03-2015, 02:31 PM

Default NO AMMONIA - NO PAPER PRODUCTS

If you are looking for a produced cleaner just make sure it is safe to use on plex, and it will be without ammonia. Had the car windows tinted once and the guys who did it made sure I got a window clean compatible with the applied tinted film, and again ammonia free.

They sent me to Costco and they had a spray window cleaner (in a can, not a clear plastic bottle) that worked great. I have used this on the canopy too.

And there are a number of cream type plex cleaner/polisher compounds out there. One of the past trips to Oshkosh I spent a lot of time shopping the vendors of plex cleaners to find a great product. It was the group who made custom canopies who said to use water. It is the cloth that really makes the difference!! Use 100% cotton or micro fiber. Absolutely no paper they warned me. Even if the paper info says of for plastic...don't use it they warned. I asked them about cutting the bugs and they suggested using a few drops of dish soap with the water.

A bit long winded but the bottom line is the cloth and either water or non-ammonia spray. Worked for me for years now.
RV12, #401, Flying 2013, N612PC
RV6, 1996-2010 sold
Old 03-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTX View Post
While we are on that subject, what have owners found to be the best to clean and polish the canopy?
Don,

After almost every flight in my RV-7A I clean the windshield by: spraying on plain water form a spray bottle, using my fingertips to dissolve bugs, etc. from the windshield, then I dry the windshield with ONLY a clean microfiber cloth. Windshield still looks great after almost 9 years.

Once a month or so I use a Windshield specific spray cleaner (Clear View, Plexus, etc...), and I always use a microfiber cloth to wipe dry... And then once in a while I use "Wash and Wax All" to give the windshield a nice non-stick protective coating, and then wipe dry with microfiber.

Good luck.

Victor
Old 03-03-2015, 05:09 PM

Default Water

When I was getting my license my instructor directed me to wet the canopy with a lot of water. This will get rid of loose partials on the plexiglass that my scratch it. After the loose granular stuff is out of the way, my guess is any plexi safe cleanser will do. Just make sure your not scratching the plexi with grit on the cloth or any grit the water failed the wash off.
Paid My 2019 dues