- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2014, 06:06 PM

Default Duckworks LED

Duckworks now also has an LED landing light solution for those that want to change to something other than HID or the original halogen lights. The first LED Duckworks started selling was only 9W but was already better as a landing light than the original 55W halogen, and is currently RF silent.

The latest LED Duckworks has is a 22W LED that was completely designed and built in the USA. It is much more efficient than the round 9W, and also produces much more light volume overall. It is very similiar to some of the current HID lights in total light power and has a nice focused pinpoint light pattern that can push the light out a long way for when you are coming in on final. It does require some trimming of the Duckworks light mounting plates, but Duckworks will do it for you on a CNC machine if you call and talk to Richard. Otherwise they send out a template with the lights so you can trim your own.

The 55W Halogen lights are a very limited light compared to what is readily available in today's market. If you are still running it, there are much better lights out there.

ALSO, if you are running the original rectangular light, you should by all means take the glass lens off the front of the light itself. It spreads the light in a wide patter and diffuses it. There is no need for that in a landing light when you are trying to push the light out a long distance.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@Langair View Post
Duckworks now also has an LED landing light solution for those that want to change to something other than HID or the original halogen lights. The first LED Duckworks started selling was only 9W but was already better as a landing light than the original 55W halogen, and is currently RF silent.

The latest LED Duckworks has is a 22W LED that was completely designed and built in the USA. It is much more efficient than the round 9W, and also produces much more light volume overall. It is very similiar to some of the current HID lights in total light power and has a nice focused pinpoint light pattern that can push the light out a long way for when you are coming in on final. It does require some trimming of the Duckworks light mounting plates, but Duckworks will do it for you on a CNC machine if you call and talk to Richard. Otherwise they send out a template with the lights so you can trim your own.

The 55W Halogen lights are a very limited light compared to what is readily available in today's market. If you are still running it, there are much better lights out there.

ALSO, if you are running the original rectangular light, you should by all means take the glass lens off the front of the light itself. It spreads the light in a wide patter and diffuses it. There is no need for that in a landing light when you are trying to push the light out a long distance.
OK, Which is brighter? The Whelen LED's or this Duckworth 22w LED. (I'm in the market as I want to install new landing lights): I also don't want any RF noise as I presently have a squeal from my current lights.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:49 PM

Default Finally taking a gamble

Decided on these from Rigid.......
RIGID INDUSTRIES E-Series 4" SPOT LED Light Bar, CLEAR, Patented Hybrid Optics
model:104212
30 watts
3000 raw lumens
beam distance: 666.6 meters
2.17 amps
simple bracket mount

spot beam........if it works......I can get diffused beam for other side.
price: 219.00 Ebay

Wish me luck
Old 12-30-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
OK, Which is brighter? The Whelen LED's or this Duckworth 22w LED. (I'm in the market as I want to install new landing lights): I also don't want any RF noise as I presently have a squeal from my current lights.
Im afriad there is no way of knowing. A watt measurement is not a light output measurement. Its is simply a measure of power consumption. Watts, as a unit of measure, does not do a good job of telling you how much light is made where you want it. While it takes more watts to create more light, the issue becomes efficiency and heat. You can make heat, and make no light. Or restated, you can have a lot of watts, make a lot of heat, and make little light. Particularly in LED's. Published candela numbers can give you real apples to apples comparisons of what you really want to know as a pilot, how much light does it make? The Whelen round light (Par36) is 60k candela, certified, warrantied.

The FAR's require measurement of light in Candela. There is a very good reason for this.

I hate to see these threads on builders with noise. Noise is a real problem across the various light install issues. With these off the shelf commercial non-aviation LED sources, and even some sold as aviation lights, noise often becomes the nemesis, along with the quality issues discussed like "my light is dead after 2 hours" or "my ballast is blown" or what ever.

Much of these noise issues surround the use of variable voltage switching circuits in the LED circuits. This is a cheap way of making LED's. Its also a cheap way of making RF noise that manifests itself in your headset. I cant think of any thread where the Whelen LED's were making noise. This is because they don't!
Gold Hill, NC25
Old 12-30-2014, 11:48 AM

The 22W LED from Duckworks is a 2000 lumen light. This is the total light volume produced by the light, not the intensity in Candela as Kahuna referred to.

This LED uses tightly focused reflectors (10 degree) to push the light out a long distance and should also produce high Candela measurement. Since we are a small home based business, I have not made it a priority to get the Candela measurement value, but it looks like I should get that done!!

Richard from Duckworks
Old 12-30-2014, 12:01 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@Langair View Post
The 22W LED from Duckworks is a 2000 lumen light. This is the total light volume produced by the light, not the intensity in Candela as Kahuna referred to.

This LED uses tightly focused reflectors (10 degree) to push the light out a long distance and should also produce high Candela measurement. Since we are a small home based business, I have not made it a priority to get the Candela measurement value, but it looks like I should get that done!!

Richard from Duckworks
That would be a good measurement for reference.

The old standard 4509 landing light bulb of Cessnas and Pipers is 110,000 candela with a 12 by 6 degree beam pattern.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 AM

Thumbs up Installed 1 light

I finally got warm enough weather to install the Rigid industries LED spot beam light in the Duckworks leading edge bracket. All I can say is...incredible. The difference was amazing. I flew night before last with the Duckworks light in one wing (100 watt H4) and the Rigid in the other wing. The Rigid light was so much better, I ordered the wide beam "flood" to replace the Duckworks. The only thing that threw me was I wound up pulling the wingtip off because the light and attached bracket wouldn't fit through the front opening, but with the wingtip off and my small hands, it was no problem at all. I would HIGHLY recommend them and I thank those that suggested them here.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:16 AM

Thumbs up Wide beam Rigid Industries

Installed the wide beam LED light yesterday. Did preliminary aiming on hangar door as it was still daylight. Really impressed with the quality of the light. Oh, made right here in the good 'ol USA. Amazing, huh?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:50 PM

Default Abbygirl1 --- any noise issues

with the Rigid lights?

Thanks,

R.
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 01-30-2015, 04:53 AM

Thumbs up Rigid LED

Yes, the Rigid LED lights. They are made in their own weatherproof diecast metal housing. Just really well made. Check out their website. Got mine on Ebay and saved a few bucks. Well worth the money in my book.