VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-30-2013, 04:19 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of RVs, & Calgary (temporary as it is).
Great points raised here & many more will be raised. I hope you can get knowledgable advise from the FAA (US) vs MD-RA (Canada) requirements & processes.
Feel free to drop in for 'RV talk', advise or help, while in Calgary.

Ralph
Springbank Airport, Calgary
rvinkster@shaw.ca
Old 01-03-2014, 09:08 PM

Hi Perry,
Welcome to the RV8 world!
I am building an RV8 in Brisbane. There are lots of advantages to building your own machine in Oz (assuming you want to return here). If you do your own build, are a member of the SAAA and do their maintenance procedures course, you will be able to maintain your own machine here. Just trying to boost Aussie RV numbers
Queensland Australia
Old 01-03-2014, 11:47 PM

Smile

Hello Rob and Ralph

Thank you for your posts.

Rob; Just to update, I am a member of the SAAA and an International member of the EAA. Completed my MPC course in early 2012. I am in the Archerfield chapter of the QLD SAAA (For my American and Canadian colleagues MPC (Maintenance Procedures Course) is a two day full-on course with an Open Book exam at the end on all the CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority – our FAA equivalent) rules and regulations such that one can do one’s own maintenance on one’s own Experimental Aircraft – not to go into the finer details here) Our SAAA acts like your EAA down-under.

Anyway Rob I have the opportunity to build in Canada (Calgary) or USA (Dallas Texas) but eventually (probably when the dollar hits parity again) ship home later.

I have a BNE-LAX-JFK-LAX-BNE flight pattern around the 13th January so I am going to have a chat to a Lawyer in Newport to see the finer points in owning in USA. I tried to contact Shane Daly up at Innovative Wings in Calgary to see the requirements in Canadian however Shane (like me at present) is on holidays. I am in Las Vegas at present heading home to Oz on the 6th January however would to keep in contact during your build RV8 build if I may.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:21 AM

Default Welcome!

Hello Perry.....Welcome to VAF! I love to fly(been doing so since 15yrs old) and can't wait to fly my -8....but I also find that the process of building is a simply awesome experience

YOL BOLSON PERRY!!!
RV-8 QB Reserved N212KB
ATP
CFI/CFII/MEI

Build Site: http://www.mykitlog.com/skykingbob/

"Nothing worthwhile has ever been accomplished without inspiration, determination, and perspiration!"
Old 11-23-2014, 07:26 PM

Default Update

Well we are just coming up to my First Year of Building the RV8. Although I don’t think I’ll ever get used to a Canadian Winter and Snow , the progress has been steady.

Recent milestones are:
1) I have ordered our engine from Aero Sport Power (Progressive) and it is currently finishing its pre-delivery testing.

2) We have managed to get the Aux Fuel Tanks (SafeAir1 ) Installed and the Speedbrakes (Precise Flite) Installed (via a set of new wing skins as my first effort was not an outstanding performance!) and the Wing Lights as well!.

3) Our wings are ready to close and we are just waiting on the Servo for the A/P to arrive. We decided to go with the G3X gear from Garmin

Attached Images of Co-Builders My Wife Leigh and Daughter Kristy and Self
http://tinypic.com/3ia4ako6

Merry Xmas to all.

Last edited by foxhound57 : 11-25-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:32 AM

Default Update on my Calgary Canada RV8 Build

Update
McNeil Aviation Corp (Canada) & McNeil Aviation (Australia) are finally down to the wire for our RV8 build.

Early 2015

It has been a huge project and the last two years have disappeared at an unbelievable speed.

We went with the Garmin G3X front and rear seats. We added rear rudder pedals brakes and a throttle to the rear station as well. The stretch goes to 1 meter. That is 20 inches to the rear seat (OK I’ve put on a few ponds since I started flying...) and 16 inches to the forward cargo area in imperial measurement. ER cruise Fuel-Tanks (Tips)

Bench Test of Garmin G3X 'Touch' sytem.

Aero Sport Power produced a brand new IO-400 (215HP) clone with electronic ignition (and polish and ported the intakes) so we expect 225-230HP. MT composite CSU propeller. We went with a full Turbo Kit and Raven Inverted Flight oil system. Speed brakes to protect the IO-400 on descent + a O² System.

IO-400 pre-mount.

We are hopeful to have the MDRA final approval by end of December 2015 and the fly-off hopefully into the new year after the snow clears around Calgary.

My co-builders Wife Leigh and Daughter AME Kristy

I have not shipped from Calgary Canada or my second option (fly down to) Addison Texas. Any builder advice on how to best ship her home (Australia) or options /experiences would be most welcome please.

Perry

foxhound57@bigpond.com
M: +61 (0) 450 964 926

Last edited by foxhound57 : 12-17-2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:43 AM

Final Inspection Next Week

Last edited by foxhound57 : 12-17-2015 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:48 AM

What a remarkable story. You've accomplished so much in very little time. Your 8 looks really nice.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:42 PM

Default Final Paint Complete in March 2018

Final Paint: March 2018

Old 07-01-2018, 04:04 AM

What ya got in the front of that thing! Looks like a 12 cyl engine!