Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-24-2013, 05:34 PM

Default Newbie RV-8

Hello Team Vans;

I am just writing to say Hello as I am new to the Van’s Community and have recently purchased a Van’s QB RV8 kit from an owner whose life circumstances had changed in Florida.

I have had the kit transported up to a friend in Canada (Calgary) who is a Technical Engineer in the Experimental Aircraft Industry.

That might seem a bit odd for someone from Australia who wants to build their own aircraft, however at present it works for me. You see I am a long-haul Pilot from “down-under” and we have the ability to do Extended Layover Patterns (using our annual leave between operational sectors) into KDFW. That allows me a week of leave, a week of uninterrupted building with friends who can guide me if (when!) I get stuck, however well away from family distractions and home interruptions.

Don’t worry (the Boss) my lovely wife Leigh has visited the RV8’s new home (Leigh is also a recreational Pilot) and apart from the -26° (Celsius) temperature gave the “thumbs-up” approval to the building plan. Anyway we will see how it flows over the next few months.

Now I also hold an FAA Commercial in addition to my Australian ATPL so I am deciding whether to build with USA registration or Canadian. I can Hangar the RV8 at Addison airfield in Texas not too far from our crew hotel and a good friend in Dallas who is also a CFI will look after her there and bring my light-aircraft tail wheel skills back to life again – at least that’s the plan!

So why build. Well my career has taken me from GA Pilot and Flight Instructor through to Supplementary Airline into a Major International Airline. On the way I have been a Chief Flight Instructor, Chief Pilot and a Simulator Instructor for Boeing. Today I am a Qualified Secondary School Teacher (casual / part-time) with my major in Aerospace Studies which we teach in some of our Secondary Schools here in Queensland Australia. So building will now complete my love of all things aviation.

I look forward to being a good contributing member of the Vans community however and meanwhile I have a lot to learn.

Last edited by foxhound57 : 12-24-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Default Welcome to VAF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhound57 View Post
Hello Team Vans;

I am just writing to say Hello as I am new to the Vanís Community and have recently purchased a Vanís QB RV8 kit
Perry, to the good ship VAF.

Good to have you aboard

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-24-2013, 11:19 PM

Default Another RV8 Builder in Aus

Welcome to the Vans world. Like your choice. Well progressed with my 8 build, just got the canopy on this week and hope to finish wings over the Xmas break. Based in Warwick QLD (YWCK).
Compliments of the season
Cheers
Old 12-26-2013, 05:35 AM

If the aircraft is eventually going to be based in the USA, it would seem most practical to eventually N-register it (assuming you meet the criteria to legally own a US-registed aircraft). The big question is whether to have it N-registered right from the start, or whether to fly it on Canadian registration first.

If you plan to initially register it in Canada, you’ll need to comply with the Canadian requirements for inspections during the build process, and the Canadian requirements to own a Canadian registered aircraft (Canadian Aviation Regulation 202.15). Depending on the amount it has already been completed, you may require an inspection before proceeding any further. You can get more info by contacting the MD-RA, who have been delegated by Transport Canada to do the inspections. You would probably have to finish the flight test phase in Canada (typically 25 hours) before importing the aircraft to the USA.

If you plan to build the aircraft in Canada, but have it N-registered right from the start, you'll have to find a US DAR who will agree to come to Canada to do the final inspection. You'll also have to comply with the US requirements to own and operate a US-registered aircraft outside the USA - simple if you are a US-citizen, but much more complicated if you are not.

Good luck with the build and the paper war.
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/

Last edited by Kevin Horton : 12-26-2013 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 AM

Check with the US regs. It might be difficult, if not impossible, for a foreign national to own a US registered aircraft. (I seem to remember a friend having this problem until he became a US citizen.)

Also, if you have a base in the Dallas area, you might want to contact Jay Pratt at RV Central.

He has worked with pilots in the same situation as you and knows exactly how long it will take you to complete your -8. Plus, it is a lot warmer in Texas!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 AM

Default Welcome

Perry Mc Neil,

Welcome to Doug's Web site! You will find a lot of fellowship and building help here.

If you have extra time in Dallas, please find your way over to Hicks T67. We have a lot of RV activity, and a really good restaurant on airfield.

I will encourage you to build here in my shop. . We are having a fun time building and flying RVs in Texas. Love to have you join us!
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 12-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Welcome Perry.
There are actually alot of RV'ers in Australia. Many in NSW, and several of my new customers in Western Australia.
Maby Rv'ers in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Jay, Walt and many others are always willing to help.
Tom
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com
Old 12-26-2013, 10:42 PM

Thanks Team

There is a DAR (US) that I can apparently contact whilst building in Canada if I consider going with an N registration and getting frost-bite !

Many interesting points you have raised however, the devil always being in the detail. Flying into the USA and hiring a USA registered light aircraft on my FAA Licence I didnít consider that there would be too many limits or restrictions on ownership. Obviously more homework required on that point.

We are certainly a little more flex here in Australia. Nonetheless Iíll review that area and remain compliant on the outcome. There is a lot of initial building, parts purchase and organisation to do first and if I have to bring the RV8 components home earlier than planned and assembly in Oz thatís not a great liability.

Jay thank you for your invitation, I would be delighted to drop-over to your Hangar the next time I am in Dallas and discuss options. Do you organise exports (if it comes to that) meanwhile Iíll need a few hours of Transitional Training as the flare height in the Jumbo is a tad higher than the RV8 and my last tail-wheel endorsement was a DC-3 circa 1983!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:49 PM

Default In the right grove.

You are in a good place and many good hands here. There are many good people in the Dallas-Fort worth area and you will like that idea too.
And, it is good to hear from someone with roots in Aviology. You will like the "8" it is a fun ride. We hope to hear from you many times in your road to flight with your new bird.
Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888
Old 12-28-2013, 03:30 PM

Perry
Re owning a US registered aircraft.
I recollect that a non US person can own a US registered aircraft if they form a US registered company to own the aircraft. Others may have more details.
John