Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 06:09 PM

Look on steinair.com's online store under connectors for "9 Pin Male Dsub Connector".
Old 07-09-2014, 11:58 AM

Default Molex crimp tool

I'm trying to find the right tool to crimp the Micro-Fit pins for the pitch trim servo (page 11-07). I've been through most of the Molex threads and don't seem much smarter than I was before. Some of the crimp tools refer to .093 pins, some to .061 and some don't mention size. They all seem to accommodate at least three sizes just judging from the picture. The problem is, the pins provided in the kit don't identify the size.

I saw a reference to a specific tool hnere http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...61&postcount=4 but that was a general Molex discussion and can't tell whether it covers the Micro-Fit pins.

Here are some tools I've been able to locate but not sure if they handle the right size:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...tGYaAiL_8P8HAQ
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...urx5XpqEmx4%3d
http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=292

So, what crimping tool is appropriate for these Micro-Fit pins?

Don't know what other Molex is in my future in my -12 build. Will the same tool work for all?

Thx
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project; ready for engine & avionics
Old 07-09-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkk View Post
I'm trying to find the right tool to crimp the Micro-Fit pins for the pitch trim servo (page 11-07). I've been through most of the Molex threads and don't seem much smarter than I was before. Some of the crimp tools refer to .093 pins, some to .061 and some don't mention size. They all seem to accommodate at least three sizes just judging from the picture. The problem is, the pins provided in the kit don't identify the size.

I saw a reference to a specific tool hnere http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...61&postcount=4 but that was a general Molex discussion and can't tell whether it covers the Micro-Fit pins.

Here are some tools I've been able to locate but not sure if they handle the right size:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...tGYaAiL_8P8HAQ
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...urx5XpqEmx4%3d
http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=292

So, what crimping tool is appropriate for these Micro-Fit pins?

Don't know what other Molex is in my future in my -12 build. Will the same tool work for all?

Thx
I bought a set of Molex crimpers locally, at Fry's Electronics. Great quality, fair price, and they worked well for me. Don't recall the part number. If you don't have a Fry's close by, frys.com will be an option for you.

*** I spent a tremendous amount of time studying the Molex crimp connector data in the plans. Then I looked closely at the connections on Stein's harnesses that they send with the avionics kit. Both of those avenues helped me to make good terminations on the connectors. By the way, Fry's also sells the Molex micro pins for pennies. I bought a ton of them for just a few bucks. That way, if I had a questionable crimp, I had PLENTY of spare pins to re-do them.

RV-12 Built / Sold / Flying
Currently Flying: Cessna Skyhawk 172
Rebuilding a true barn find J-3 Cub

Last edited by txaviator : 07-09-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:41 PM

Thanks, Gary. Got that right about spending a huge amount of time with the plans and other connector info sources. I spent a career around avionics connectors of all sorts but these are way smaller than I've dealt with.

We don't have a Fry's nearby but I checked their site. Couldn't find any Molex crimping tools.

The pins I saw on Fry's seem to come in .062, 093 and larger sizes. That's consistent with what I saw on other sites when I was looking for crimping tools. I assume the size refers to the diameter of the pin? If so, these micro-fit pins seem to be around .030, way smaller than anything I saw at Fry's.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Gary. Got that right about spending a huge amount of time with the plans and other connector info sources. I spent a career around avionics connectors of all sorts but these are way smaller than I've dealt with.

We don't have a Fry's nearby but I checked their site. Couldn't find any Molex crimping tools.

The pins I saw on Fry's seem to come in .062, 093 and larger sizes. That's consistent with what I saw on other sites when I was looking for crimping tools. I assume the size refers to the diameter of the pin? If so, these micro-fit pins seem to be around .030, way smaller than anything I saw at Fry's.
Send me a PM with your address, and I'll loan you my crimpers for however long you need them. They aren't anything really fancy but they sure worked better than the original set I got with an RV tool kit back in the day.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:34 PM

Thanks Gary. I'm pretty new here and just learning what a great community this is. PM sent.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks Gary. I'm pretty new here and just learning what a great community this is. PM sent.
No problem, Tom! I won't need them for the foreseeable future (I'm flying a high performance C-172 for now ) and they're just sitting in my toolbox.

Got your address and they'll go out to you tomorrow! Glad I could help.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:56 PM

Those crimpers we sell seem to be a good fit and work fine, though they may take two individual crimps instead of one (that the more expensive tools will do). Stay away from the automotive looking ones, they will spell trouble for you sooner or later...and the more expensive one are just, well, more expensive!

Cheers,
Stein
Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaviator View Post
No problem, Tom! I won't need them for the foreseeable future (I'm flying a high performance C-172 for now ) and they're just sitting in my toolbox.

Got your address and they'll go out to you tomorrow! Glad I could help.
Gary, PM sent ...
Old 07-16-2014, 07:41 PM

I notice the Rv12 kit comes with silver colored connectors for the wires. I fly RC turbines and we always use the gold colored connectors as we were under the opinion they were better. I have many of them. Are the gold better than the silver? Is it OK for me to switch to the gold ones?

Bob