Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2018, 11:16 PM

If you are set on connectors I woukd encourage using Deutsch weatherproof DTM or DT connectors. They are awesome and sealed from the environment. More so than the round plastic type. Similar to automotive Weatherpack or connectors just higher quality and full barrel pins for reliability and ease of crimping and installation.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
If you are set on connectors I woukd encourage using Deutsch weatherproof DTM or DT connectors. They are awesome and sealed from the environment. More so than the round plastic type. Similar to automotive Weatherpack or connectors just higher quality and full barrel pins for reliability and ease of crimping and installation.
These are my preference too but I just canít seem to get past the large cost of the crimper.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 07-10-2018, 12:08 AM

I left the wiring coiled up in the fuselage until I attached the wings. You can easily pull the wires out to the wing tips and connect them up after the wings are on for good. I just left a service loop in the fuselage and IF the wings ever need to be removed, I will cut the wires then, or just pull them back into the fuselage. Connectors add failure points and should be used only when absolutely necessary.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2018 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 07-10-2018, 12:17 PM

Mark,

I have run the lighting wires (nav, strobe, landing, & taxi) from the panel switches to a terminal strip mounted on the rear seat front bulkhead. From there the wires split and run to the tail and out to both wings. This provides for the amperage required by the lights, and with ring terminals makes for a tight connection. The terminal strip will be covered by the flap actuator/torque tube cover.

I have pulled the heavy gauge wires that will power the pitot heater from the panel back to the left wing area and coiled them, and will pull them to the pitot tube after the wings are attached using a pull string installed in the wing.

The wires for the auto pilot servo and trim servo will be connected through a small D-sub connector. However, the CAN Bus wires will be run continuously from the pitch or yaw AP servo out to the wings where it will connect to the magnetometer and then on to the roll servo, without an extra connector at the wing root. If you want to run the CAN bus wire through an extra connector, I suggest you talk to Garmin regarding the type of connector and advisability of making such a connection.

Cheers,

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2018 VAF Dues Paid