- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2018, 09:25 AM

Default Clarification on Matco wheels and tires

I just ordered Matco mains and nosewheel. Iím also getting ready to finalize my finishing kit order. George at Matco told me that the tires and tubes supplied by Vanís would fit the Matco rims yet it seems like people delete the tires from the kit and go with the Desser tires. Iíd just as soon not pay extra for shipping tires that arenít needed. Thanks for the clarification.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAB View Post
I just ordered Matco mains and nosewheel. Iím also getting ready to finalize my finishing kit order. George at Matco told me that the tires and tubes supplied by Vanís would fit the Matco rims yet it seems like people delete the tires from the kit and go with the Desser tires. Iíd just as soon not pay extra for shipping tires that arenít needed. Thanks for the clarification.
As you stated, wheel and tire sizes are the same.

There are many choices for tubes and tires. As you know, Van's tend to go with the frugal choice on most things. That means that there are better quality products available, but they are going to cost more.

Tire wear is also a function of how well you get the gear aligned when installing them. That's why some aircraft go through tires quicker than others. The other variable is how precise you are with landing. Do you grease it in every landing or are you one of those people that gets the load chirp because you aren't aligned with the runway properly?

My kit supplied tires lasted me about three years. I've know others that lasted longer and shorter than mine did.

My personal opinion is to delete the tires and tubes and upgrade to something better. The "what" to upgrade to is more of a religious debate.

Dresser sells many brands of tires as well as there own recaps. The recaps will require some modifications to wheel pants that were set up for standard tires due to their thicker tread. Some people have had good luck with the retreads and others haven't. Dresser does usually have pretty good prices.

I upgrade to Goodyear Flight Custom III tires. I've only had them on my RV-10 for a little over a year, but I've been happy with them so far.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

From my experience, the main concern is the originally supplied tubes more than the tires. I feel it was a real time/frustration saver for me to install Michelin Air Stop tubes over the original. There may be other comparable brands to the Michelin but I've had excellent results from these.

I had to air-up the original tubes every few flights, so I switched to the Air Stop. Since then I add air every three to six months. (On that same note, I use new Air Stops whenever I replace the tires.)

Tire wear is a combination of many factors as stated in the previous thread so your results may vary.

Chris
Lycoming O-360-A1A, Hartzell CS
52F (Northwest Regional, TX)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:56 AM

Default Desser

My family owned a flight school and we used the Desser recaps. They tended to last substantially longer than new tires...they are also substantially less expensive.

If you havenít done your wheels pants yet, it is a simple thing to trim them for the recaps. They tend to be a bit larger than a new tire. The bonus is that if you set up the pants for recaps, you can always use either. If you set them up for new tires, you wonít be able to use the recaps without modifying the pants.

I am using the recaps on my -10.

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
Doors - Done
On Gear
290 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful

Dues Paid 2017,...Thanks DR+
Old 07-09-2018, 11:00 AM

What ever you do, get tubes with 90 degree valves for the mains.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:04 AM

I have used the Dresser retreads for years with good results, but like most things it’s what you feel good with. If you go with the retreads, the monster retreads do not fit the mains on the -10s
Old 07-09-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
What ever you do, get tubes with 90 degree valves for the mains.
Do you have a part number for airstop tubes with 90 degree stems?

-Marc
Old 07-09-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
Do you have a part number for airstop tubes with 90 degree stems?

-Marc
There was a post here within the last month that had the info. If I recall correctly, the tubes were not of the airstop variety. Personally, the 90* fill valve is more important than the airstop feature.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:59 PM

Thanks all for the helpful input. Iím going to look at the retreads as the first option.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)