Old 07-05-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMLviator View Post
Call order desk-$495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
For a voltage regulator???
The price is for an install kit.
It includes a molded NACA vent (same as used on the 12iS)that installs on the upper cowl and directs air onto the regulator (firewall mounted directly behind the NACA vent), template for cutting the NACA opening, regulator, hardware and schematic drawing that also includes info for connecting the indicator output line to an EFIS system.

The 4120 regulator has a status indicator that will set an alarm if internal over temp, or an over voltage condition occurs.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 07-29-2018, 11:08 AM

Default Silent Hektik

Does anyone know if Van's will sell just the regulator?
Old 07-29-2018, 04:27 PM

I thought the current location under the avionics shelf sorted out these problems ?

Donated in 2018
Old 08-12-2018, 11:06 PM

Default Have planes had Under shelf regulator issues?

Have planes had under shelf install issues? If so after how many hours?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:29 AM

I have almost 500 hrs on my -12 with the inside under-the-shelf location and I'm on my 4th regulator, two Ducattis have failed and one John Deere. One of the Ducatti's might have been due to a loose connection on the regulator terminal. All always ran very hot. I've rigged a short blast tube from the upper half of the passenger air vent to the current regulator and it's staying warm but not hot. I read about that in an earlier post and avoided it because I thought it would be too hard but it turned out to be almost trivially easy. Only have about 30 hrs since I installed the blast tube so the jury's still out.
RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project
Old 08-13-2018, 10:02 PM

Tom,
mind sending a photo of your "blast tube"?
Old 08-14-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben barron View Post
Tom,
mind sending a photo of your "blast tube"?
Here you go. No remarks about the mounting clamps please - this is a temporary install to see how it would work. Looks to be keeping the VR fairly cool so I'll get some permanent clamps.

The first picture is looking at the bottom of the tray from rear towards the front. The second is looking straight up from the bottom. The tube is about 7/8" diameter I got from Lowes. It's pretty hard to bend but, fortunately, the bend right off the roll was about perfect. There's still plenty of air for the passenger from the bottom half of the vent. Winter will be a problem up north but down here in Florida I rarely close the vents.

The yellow wire is a dedicated ground that goes through the firewall to the engine. I'd originally hoped that might help the heat problem but it seemed to have little effect. I'd also previously painted the VR with flat black to try to dissipate heat better but that had little, if any, effect.

RV-12 N121TK ELSA #120845; first flight 06/10/2015
RV-12 N918EN ELSA #120995 Eagles Nest Project
Old 08-17-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
The price is for an install kit.
It includes a molded NACA vent (same as used on the 12iS)that installs on the upper cowl and directs air onto the regulator (firewall mounted directly behind the NACA vent), template for cutting the NACA opening, regulator, hardware and schematic drawing that also includes info for connecting the indicator output line to an EFIS system.

The 4120 regulator has a status indicator that will set an alarm if internal over temp, or an over voltage condition occurs.
Has anyone installed this VR mod? Is this included in the new kits?

I'm not excited about that hole in the top of my cowling Not sure if even light rain may cause problems with water intrusion.
2013- RV12, Kit #119. N123M First flight Nov21. It's a keeper!
1998- RV-9 tail kit, built and sold
1989- RV-6 tail kit, built and sold
Old 08-17-2018, 08:21 AM

My original Ducatti VR failed at 104TT. I installed a John Deere AM101406 Voltage Regulator and now at 380TT with no problems. Cost $18 including shipping on eBay.

The JD AM101406 is mounted on the firewall shelf in original location with no blast tube. It is however mounted on a 1/8” thick sub-plate and has thermal paste to help transfer heat. I open the oil door to vent heat after each flight.

If/when this VR fails I will replace again with same unit. A spare is on the shelf in the hanger, so no downtime…
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 08-17-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
My original Ducatti VR failed at 104TT. I installed a John Deere AM101406 Voltage Regulator and now at 380TT with no problems. Cost $18 including shipping on eBay.

The JD AM101406 is mounted on the firewall shelf in original location with no blast tube. It is however mounted on a 1/8” thick sub-plate and has thermal paste to help transfer heat. I open the oil door to vent heat after each flight.

If/when this VR fails I will replace again with same unit. A spare is on the shelf in the hanger, so no downtime…
Jim, same connector?