Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2018, 11:05 PM

I used CS4 rivets and they are definitely not strong enough. They both sheared off after about 300 hrs. In my case I think probably due to ham handed (footed) taxiing. Should be fairly easy to use solid rivets.
Building RV8 with buddy
Old 06-29-2018, 04:39 AM

It think this is where I modified one of my first tools. The flush rivet on the flange of the angle and the inside corner radius seemed to make it rather difficult to stay flush when getting set. I took a 1 dia. flush rivet set and sliced off a bit of the OD to make a flat on it and then put a radius along that edge on the face so the flat edge could be held against the upper flange of the angle. The radiused edge kept the tool from gouging the inside of the angle and made sure the flush rivet stayed nice and tight to the surface.
Wings - 95%
Fuse - 98%
Old 06-29-2018, 06:58 AM

Not sure if this really helps as it pertains to flush rivets. I found attaching the rudder stops with flush rivets much less of an ordeal than I thought it would be.

The aluminum angle used to make the stops is significantly more forgiving than the skins used on other parts of the fuse. It's pretty obvious that a mushroom set isn't going to get to the rivets, but I found a 5 1/2" straight rivet set made the job pretty easy with no modification needed.

Flush rivet set used https://www.yardstore.com/riveting/r...5-1-2-straight

I turned the air pressure up a bit (50 psi I think), took my time and ended up with the finished product below. I shot a little primer over the rudder stop to touch up a couple of spots.

By the way, I installed the rudder stops AFTER setting the last rivet that holds the angle stiffener in place. This rivet is located close to the lower left-hand corner of the rudder stop. As I recall, the manual has you set these rivets after the rudder stop is installed. I think that would be quite a challenge....at least for me.

Getting Ready to Close Wings
Old 06-29-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
That is the exact same rivet set we use in our shop to install rivets in this (and similar) locations.

I personally would not recommend substituting CS4-4 rivets at this location. Cherry rivets should be fine as long as proper grip length is used.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")