VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-13-2018, 04:37 AM

Thanx again for your great site, it has been very valuable for my build!

So for example the 59.6 below are the lenght between the actual tips of the cable, that should actually be all that I need to know...

Mixture: 176-VTT-2-59.6
Throttle: 176-VTT-2.25-48.9
Prop: 176-VTT-2-54.5
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 06-13-2018, 05:12 AM

I bought an RV-10 quadrant with cables from a builder who decided not to use it, and used two of the cables that came with it on my RV-14A installation. I have the FM-150 fuel injection, so had to use the special bracket required for that installation, which routes the cables below the engine. I believe Tim used the "standard" Bendix fuel injection and the normal cable routing. Make sure you choose cable lengths accordingly. I used the shorter cable (49.5 inches) for the mixture and the intermediate length one (52.5 inches) for the throttle. The prop cable was much too long, because we only have four cylinders vs. six in the 10. I still need to determine the right length for the prop cable, but I plan to route a piece of tubing to both ends to get a good estimate. The cables are pretty flexible and have a minimum bend radius of about 4 inches, as I recall, so it doesn't appear a precise length is that critical. YMMV

Last edited by MED : 06-13-2018 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:10 AM

Thanx MED, The measurments from Tim is a great baseline apart from one cable that he routes thru a new hole in the FW.

I have a plastic line that is about as flexible a these kind of cables I will use this to get a good measurment.
RV-14 kit #140138
Old 06-14-2018, 07:37 PM

I was talking to Dayton, of DJM Manufacturing, today and mentioned that one of the my favorite mods to my -9 was the inclusion of one of his throttle quadrants. (While my quadrant doesn't have a prop lever, it can be converted to one by replacing the top plate and adding the additional lever.)

He mentioned that the RV-14 and RV-10 were identical from the instrument panel forward and that the standard RV-10 quadrant kit should fit without modification.

Maybe Scott can chime in here.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 06-14-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:01 AM

The RV10 quadrant fits the RV14 with only minor adjustments. The F-14106 Wiring Channel will be in the way if you build without modification.

I choose to keep the Wiring channel in its original position and to create two mounting tab that place the quadrant about 1/2 inch back from how you would mount it if you have no inteferance from the wiring channel.
RV-14 kit #140138
Old 06-15-2018, 12:19 AM

I too have one of Daytonís quadrants in my RV7A and wouldnít have it any other way. Iíve added brackets to each side for all the other pushpull cables (cabin heat, alternate air, purge valve, parking brake) for a total of 7 control cables. All this takes up about the same amount of panel space as two traditional push-pull throttle and mixture knobs.

Bevan
Precision F.I. with AP purge valve
Vinyl Wrapped Exterior
Grand Rapids EFIS
Located in western Canada
Old 06-27-2018, 07:05 AM

I+'m I think up to about 260 hours on the -14 now and the quadrant has been fantastic. I got a compliment recently from the DPE who did my daughters checkride that he really loved it and liked the padding I put on the side too. It was Doug Rozendaal, for those who may know him. Anyway, I agree, I wouldn't have it any other way. It's been fantastic. Regarding the mounting, the person who said they mounted it 1/2" forward I think didn't do such a bad thing either. You could mount it without modification other than the vertical panel support being cut up a little, or you could mount it 1/2" forward and that could be very nice too if you add your own mounting tabs. Just be sure you are comfortable with the clearance your hand has to any switches on your panel that you may have forward of it. I used a lever lock switch on one switch there so I wouldn't accidentally turn it off.

Anyway, loving the quadrant, and just still think it would be nice if Van's would just take a little time to publish the plans to show that as an option like they did on the RV-10. They could also help by listing the quadrant separately from cables in the online store.
RV-10/14 Transition Training: http://www.RVCFI.com