VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-19-2018, 07:57 PM

Default NYC to OSH

My home is in Texas, but my RV-12 and I will be in the NYC area, and will then head for OSH. Any airports to recommend for fuel and, or, overnighting along that route? Or to stay away from? Since I will not be time constrained, any sights/experiences worth stopping for?

My normal workflow, when traveling to new places, is to study the ForeFlight pilot comments for prospective airports. To my knowledge, it's the closest thing we have to TripAdvisor for airports.

Thanks for your responses.

Ian Heritch
RV-12 N417E
Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 PM

Default OSH

I prefer to go via BGM and ELM NY, or even further north across the Finger Lakes. Stay away from the big city airports and you should do well until you get to the Chicago area. My preference is to go west of Chicago and it would be best to overnight about 75 west of OSH and join the Fisk arrival as early as possible. Most of the airports across Indiana are especially welcoming. I haven't flown this route for a few years but not much has changed.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:42 AM

We try to use Mogas and have found Whitfords, B16 near Syracuse NY easy to get into. There are no facilities except fuel and restroom.

Further west, Marshall, MI KRMY has Swift 94 fuel. There is a FBO and food nearby.

Jim Butcher
Old 06-20-2018, 05:30 AM

Last time I flew out there in my -6 I took the direct route, just South of KBUF, North shore of Lake Erie, across North central Michigan for a fuel stop. Then if you are adventuresome, jump across Lake Michigan (50 nm over water) to KOSH. This route is the shortest and avoids Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago. Chicago Center has a Lake Watch frequency for VFR advisories across the lake. Not familiar with the range of a -12, but would guess 2 fuel stops.
Have Fun!
RV7 #72018 N767T first flight 11/21/2017 100+hrs.
IO-360M1B MT 3 blade, Dual AFS 5600.
2018 dues paid.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:59 AM

Whitford’s (B16) MOGAS is now 90 octane ethanol free. Until recently it was 91 octane.
Fuselage ordered 6-18
Zodiac 601 HDS, bought from builder 6-09
VAF dues paid until 7-19
Old 06-20-2018, 06:03 AM

AirNav.com has comments on FBO’s too

Mark
Old 06-20-2018, 06:27 AM

If you are planning to go into NYC, you will probably want to choose an airport near a rail line unless you are renting a car (not recommended generally). MOGAS is hard to come by in this part of the country at airports. (most of us cart it to the airport in cans)

Otherwise there are plenty of suitable airports outside of Class B or just under the veil that are very accommodating for short term tiedowns. I'm based at N40 (west of NYC) and we have transient aircraft on the ramp and/or grass from time to time - but we might be a little farther outside of the city for your plans. Again, you have lots of choices, probably depends on your specific other plans in the area.

Feel free to message me if you are considering northern NJ. RV-12 pilots are always welcome!
RV-12, N913BC
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg