What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bellcrank to Aileron Pushrods

cderk

Well Known Member
I'm on page 23-3 and have a quick question on W-1018A parts and how the AN490-HT8P threaded rod ends insert into the tubes. They don't seem to fit well. I'm sure I can jam them in there, but I don't think I'd be able to get them back out again to debur and prime. Is it better to try to ream out the tube or sand down the threaded rod end?

I also noticed that it says to prime this part when done... my pushrod is powder coated white - is it really necessary to prime?

Rod ends

You want them to fit but also need to insert them to drill the holes then remove for priming. There may be some production debris inside or a burr on the edge. Dress the tube imside a little with a piece of fine emery wrapped around a dowel.
The tube should be primed inside. Cut the fingers off a nitrile gllve. Slide the pinky over one end so it's tight. Pour in some primer. Slide another glove finger over the open end. Slosh for a few minutes and pour out the primer. Dry and rivet the ends in place.

Last edited:
Hi Charlie,

I just finished this section last week.
See this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=136018&highlight=rod+end

I couldn't get the rod ends in the tube even before primer.
I ended up getting a wheel for my Dremel tool and sanding the inside of the tube until they fit snugly.
I chose that over sanding down the rod end itself.

Then I primed the inside of the tube, let dry, and riveted it together.

The powder coating of mine barely wrapped around the insides of the tube. You definitely want to prime, as you won't be able to inspect this at all later.

I'm on page 23-3 and have a quick question on W-1018A parts and how the AN490-HT8P threaded rod ends insert into the tubes. They don't seem to fit well. I'm sure I can jam them in there, but I don't think I'd be able to get them back out again to debur and prime. Is it better to try to ream out the tube or sand down the threaded rod end?

I also noticed that it says to prime this part when done... my pushrod is powder coated white - is it really necessary to prime?

Tubes

The manufacturing tolerance of the tube and the rod end will cause considerable variation in fit.
I use medium and then fine emery wrapped around a small diameter slotted tube to "sand" the inside of tubing.
Primer does not adhere well to tubing that has not been properly prepared. A much better method is to wet the inside end of the tube and the outside of the rod end with primer and then assemble and rivet with the primer still wet.
Then drill a #40 hole in one end of the tube adjacent to the rod end, thru one side only. Inject a generous amount of tube oil, slosh it around and then drain. Install a drive screw in the hole and clean the excess oil off the outside with a mild solvent.
This is standard military spec for many aircraft components. Drive screws identify components that have been oiled inside at manufacture. On the WWII Interstate L6 the entire welded steel fuselage frame was treated this way.
The drive screws are available from Aircraft Spruce.
An even better method is to cut a 30 degree V groove 4 places each pushrod and TIG weld the rod ends.

Back