What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1 Canopy / Danny King

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
Danny King's handy work...
Using a completely re-manufactured frame courtesy of Bob Avery, and a custom crafted plexiglass bubble courtesy of Airplane Plastics, Danny King performed his magic and the two custom pieces are now crafted into a single, precision fit, homogenous unit. So, for those of you that couldn't find Danny at any of the usual places around 52F, he's been hard at work in Jay Pratt's hangar at Hicks (T67). Job well done Danny... and Thank you!

photo%2525284%252529.JPG

Completing the canopy -
Gary Hunter, the original Shell 'Answer Man' and crew chief for Bruce Bohannon's Pushy Galore and the Exxon Flyin' Tiger,
has volunteered to use his Thanksgiving holidays to fabricate the canopy skirt.

Donate_x1.png

Last edited:
Belly Pan Fitter Needed!!

Now that Danny and Jay have got the canopy well in hand, and the skirt fabrication is lined up, Jay told me that our sheet-metal fabricator has delivered the new belly pan! Yes, I think it was our first big work day when a bunch of us stared at the beat up, oft-repaired original and everyone realized that it needed replacing - but no one felt up to the job. But a recommendation From "Flyeyes" here on the forum lead us to Mr. Charles Rye, a sheet-metal artist out west of Fort Worth.

photo%2525285%252529.JPG

Charles was able to duplicate the original, and now we need a volunteer (or two) who would like to volunteer to fit the new pan to the airframe, drill the necessary holes, and get it attached for flight. The work will have to be done at Jay's RV Central, and a couple of builders workign together could probably get it done in a day's work. If you'd like to take on the task, respond here, drop me a note or PM, send up a smoke signal....get your name in the logbook!!

Paul

Back