What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Coverage in the Carribean?

VHS

Well Known Member
I have had a number if inquiries about APRS airborne coverage in the Caribbean, especially as it relates to relief operations around Haiti. It looks to me like a pretty blank area until you hit Puerto Rico. Does anyone have any experience on coverage between the mainland and Haiti?

Allen
VHS
(The Micro-Trak guy)

FYI. You may(will) need a permit/lisc to operate a ham transmitter over each different country. PR is part of the US. Open sea operation is OK though.

Wait, you need a license to operate in a foreign country? Puerto Rico is part of America? Are you sure about this?

Allen

Yes.

Wait, you need a license to operate in a foreign country? Puerto Rico is part of America? Are you sure about this?

Allen

Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of the United States.

Kent

And other countries...well, have their own rules. Be it having a license or...whatever they want.

In the future, I will take care to make it clear when I am being sarcastic...... Yes, I know you need a ham license to operate in foreign countries, and that Puerto Rico is a Territory of the U.S. I apologize if my post was either understood as snarky or just ignorant. ( well, it might have been just a bit snarky....)

That being said, I still have no idea if an aircraft flying at a reasonable altitude is able to stay in constant APRS contact through either other Island Nations using 144.390, or at what point one might expect to drop off Aprs.fi while enroute to Haiti.

Allen
VHS

Hi, Allen

Sorry I missed the smiley face.:eek:

I just thought that you were just a happy guy.;)

Kent

Back